Introduction

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by -BISH-, Nov 27, 2003.

1. -BISH-

-BISH- Well-Known Member

Hello

My name is Mark, I fly as -BISH- and I just wanted to introduce myself to you guys. I've been flying WB's for about a year and thought I was getting good playing offline......then, last week I found this site. Ohhhhh boy, now I know that I know nothing!!

:@prayer: to all you aces

Well I realised quickly that I am nowhere near good enough, (yet ;) ), to mix it with the real flyboys, so now I'm trying to support the Golds, (sorry reds), however I can. At the moment I check out the action and try to support in closing & capturing fields, buildings don't move so much :D really enjoy the action though, and am working on getting good enough to survive mixing it someday :turret:

I do have a question if anyone could help. While putting the squeeze on an enemy base I have seen people asking for stats as to the operational staus of the field, and have seen replies stating the time radar is down for etc. How can I access this information about the field under attack?

Well, gonna sign off for now and have another hour trying to help the cause, but before I do a big thanks for all the 6 calls, (I'm not too hot on the radio yet!!), all the guys who have saved me from inevitable parachuting whilst dragging spits & YAKS, and the many online pilots here who are truly inspiring.

"Experience is a good teacher, but she sends terrific bills"

-BISH-

Last edited: Nov 27, 2003
    1 person likes this.
  2. -redw-

-redw- Well-Known Member

hi -bish-

if u sitting twr and u type .field fxx u are getting a list of targets and the downtime for each

if u typing in flight u only get the field status open or closed

:D u can try to ask status of cv too :D

btw. look on the top of the page "links" an see "nicea central" 4 more dot commands

bb
    red

3. Rapier

Rapier Guest

Hi Bish,

welcome aboard!

When you are in the tower select any of the radio channels and type
    ".field 12" + "ENTER", you will see the various field structures of field 12 (in this case) and the number of seconds they are destroyed.

I draw your attention to Nicaeґs (help) pages the link is here on the forum page (the thread is called "Before you post anything").

Have fun and Check 6

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 27, 2003
  4. spaceb

spaceb Well-Known Member

Welcome -bish- I'm glad you'll join Axis :D
    If you have any doubts ask in channel 103 or 100... there are many guys willing to help newbies.

5. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

hey Bish, one more year and u will rule the skies; just read about tactics, learn efight, fly gold side :)

and that is true - offline is nothing in compare to all the great pilots who are still here;
    theres nothin so addictive like getting better and better ;)
    but pls start from readin FAQ, Nicaes Central; search the web for combat tactics and then just try to use them;
    gl and check ur 6 ;)

6. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

Welcome, i wish you good luck, and a tip: today i killed you because you didn't check 6, though you surely saw my tracers. Hurry up and move faster. Except that, i saw a good flying there. Have fun and stay many time ;)

7. sebbo

sebbo Well-Known Member

Hi -bish-, pleased to meet you! I hope to meet you "up there" someday soon! If you need any extra training, you can always ask me to tell you about the basics in either the TA (test-arena) or H2H (Head-to-Head).

In the meanwhile, here's some basic tips:
    1. Like Broz said, ALWAYS keep your 6 clear!
    2. Most newbies only fly well-turning planes like the Zero. Even though this is a good thing to do when you begin, you should try to fly faster planes as soon as possible!!
    3. Demand respect and give respect in the arena. Without a doubt you'll fuck up someday soon :D . You'll shoot at a smoking plane, kill a guy that asked for a safe return, or do some other thing that tends to get people pissed off. If anyone gives you a hard time about that just tell 'em you're new and sorry, you just don't know about the ettiquette here yet :)
    4. Try to join a squad. There's a lot of good squads out there, like JG13 (Yahoo!), AFVS and 302. If you're in a squad, you'll learn three times faster
    5. Check the forum regularly.
    6. The most important tip: HAVE FUN! :D

8. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

Hi bish, welcome to FH :)

Lots of good advice there. The most important tho is have fun. Always :)

Oh and btw, you can give 6 calls to pilots by clicking your mouse on their plane (cant remember if its left or right click). One button changes radio 4 to that pilot (which means you can have a private chat with him) and the other mouse button gives the automatic 6 calls.

Remember, if you give accidental 6 calls (it will show in bright white writing on the radio bar) tell them it was an error and whether they are clear or not.

Good luck, and if you need any help at all, shout out loud :)

-glas-

9. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

Welcome!

Don't trust those luck-wishers. :D
    When you have skill you don't have to count on luck.

I'll give you few tips for starters:)

1. Treat others on arena as youd like to be treated yourself.
    It will echo back. Don't let annoying things/people get under your skin and don't be dragged to their level. (been there done that)

2. Learn to shoot well.
    Use offline and only snapshots to improve your aim until your gunnery is over 30%. Don't try to kill them offline, just try to hit every bullet. Shoot only when youre sure you will hit. In few days you will have better gunnery than average FH pilot.

3. Learn theory of aircombat.
    Energy management most importantly.

4. Learn strenghts of you ride over your enemies.
    It will get you away from many troubles.

5. Situational Awareness.
    Last but definetely not the least. Learn to use views to keep track of what happens around you. Who spots other one first has keys of the fight in his pocket. Use blind spots of your opponent to cripple his SA and in best case to grant you total suprise.

Most important of all. Have fun!

May the E be with you. :)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2003
  10. vojtas

vojtas Well-Known Member

Hello Bish and WELCOME! :D

Good Luck to you at WB skies!

11. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

Bah, nothing like 2 de Mayo :D :D

12. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

Bah..i started with 190. I will propably end with 190. :)

Starting with good turning plane might teach one bad habits which make it harder to adapt for new rides later on. This is only my own opinion ofcourse. (which many might disagree with)

Heres some reasoning.

Controlling close-in fights in 3 dimensions is extremely hard for SA of even veteran. Newbie will easily just end up burning his energy in horizontal turns and more experienced pilot will bag him 90% of time. Target fixation is the usual thing that makes noobs so easy kills.

However new pilot can be very succesfull and kill even best pilots without giving them a change by keeping high and fast. From this it's very natural to shift more in E-fighting.

Later on when theres more confidence it pays to get more agressive. So why to learn it hard way?

13. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

I started on the 109, which was better for me. When I then tried the Zero some weeks later, it felt like I could turn the plane on a sixpence, compared to the 109.

Unfortunately, it also felt like I was flying backwards it was so slow :D I think the 190 would be a tad difficult for a complete newb tho.

-glas-

14. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

i started with 190 too; and ill end with 190 just like illo and anyone who started with it, i suppose :)
    starting with e-fight is best option imho, then, like Glas said, will let u turn more manueverable planes even easier; and, what is biggest advantage of efighters, u will try to keep energy even in close dogfight on very manueverable plane;
    theres nothing more lethal than efighter on spit or ki61/84!

15. big-jo

big-jo Well-Known Member

:kruto: when im red and i fly spit in early war and later in 42 or 43 i fly p47, it s VERY dificult, specially when ToD are of 7 days per month

16. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

Heh, I know what you're talking about bish, I was flying offline for such a long time, eventually I started to consider subscribing to iEN, but luckily a squadmate of mine told me about FH, and ever since I've been hooked up (right until that point some year or 2 ago when I had enough :p) ...

Guess you're feeling like a kid in a candy store with a Ј100 bill now eh ;) Welcome aboard :D

Well, be patient and fly high and you'll come out alive, it's the easiest way to survive. You should always try to bear in mind energy is what keeps your plane going, energy (albeit kinetic or potential) is something you never can have enough... (unless you're a TnB fighter)

Joining a squad sure helps in learning the stuff though ;)

<Z>

17. -BISH-

-BISH- Well-Known Member

Wow :D

Thankyou all very much for your help and ideas, it has given me much food for thought and is greatly appreciated.

I am flying the 190 on raids, and the 109 if I am trying to dogfight, (not often at the moment ;) ), and would love to stick with them. I found I tended towards these planes in my offline flying, and have been sticking to them doggedly since as I find I "hunt" an opponent rather than jump into a round of dizzying combat.....I like this style, and hope to develop it here. Though it is true I find it harder to perform well in, compared to other planes, I have been trying ease up and fly smoothly. I think this is where I need long nights reading & applying tactics......as I bleed "E" terribly when jumped! ( <--- my SA does need work!!). I would dearly love to master the 190 as I was so comfortable in it before, and feel could be again in this arena, by following the good advice here by delving deeper & working to raise my skill levels.

I would love to say I had a hint you were there broz.....but it was only when I saw one of my wings head groundwards that I knew I was in trouble LOL Solid lesson in awareness and fantastic shooting :)

Thanks again guys :D

"luck is when preparation & opportunity meet"

-BISH-

18. spaceb

spaceb Well-Known Member

I started in Foo and Observer plane :D

19. Malino

Malino Well-Known Member

For both the 190 and 109 use the vertical, the 109 can sit in the vertical down to about 160kph and you can hammer it over, the 190 about 230ish but the 190 is superior in roll and you can use a combination of barrel roll and E to force a player in front.

I wouldn't recommend dogfighting in either. If you want to TnB use the Ki61 or the Ki84 they are far superior to the 109 in dogfighting and still retain a reasonable speed and climb.

Mal

20. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

@malino
    A good Spit pilot will shoot you down even in vertical (when you're in 109 and not 190 of course).

@-bish-
    What i've learned (still beeing green though already some months on FH) there's no superrior plane to 190s... and nothing better in DF than Yak3. I don't like EF but i still consider it to be the most effective method of getting kills instead of killed.
    Good luck and clear six.

@all
    I still got problems getting an Internet connection... but it should be resolved soon... i miss flying on the FH Arena and can't wait to get killed again ;) by some of you (i've heard that -haupt is back :D )