Joystick

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by tazman88, Sep 12, 2010.

1. tazman88

tazman88 Well-Known Member

I need a new joystick. Up until now, I have been using a Saitek ST290pro that i purchased from WALMART back in 2006, but then stupid Saitek stop manufacturing it. I dont like joysticks that are over engineered by being wireless, having special displays, network connection capacity, refrigerator compartments, or any useless feature like that. IMHO features like these just increase the likelihood that something will break.

I just need a basic 3 axis joystick with a hat and at least 5 buttons on it.
    Please reply with suggestions:joystick: !

Last edited: Sep 12, 2010
  2. demian

demian Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

saitek aviator

3. pirake

pirake Well-Known Member

i have a x52 and i a brazilian guy, just pay more expensive cause i have to import
    but for european and US mates this is not too much expensive
    mb $99

4. pirake

pirake Well-Known Member

5. tazman88

what about
    [​IMG]
    Logitech extreme 3D pro
    any of you guys try this before?

6. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Down at the joint of the sitck-to-base I could see something looked like talcum powder being generated by the parts inside grinding themselves. From the first minute I had the thing, until it got as loose as an old whore's snatch. I gave it away to a little boy who didn't give a shit about a jerky POS stick. I don't recall there being a rubber bushing in the joint, I guess that is the New Improved Factory Upgrade.... Good idea, to seal in the talcum powder [ground up moving parts] so it isn't seen for a few weeks [90 days is usually the time the warranty expires, eh?]
    Sorry.
    X-52, as mentioned above? No talcum. I have had one since it was newly invented. I don't know how long I have owned it, it is from the vague past.

Get an X-52. Make sure the cords are fastened with PVC tape, as they tend to wriggle and make the blue lights all over the thing blink like the devil. That is on the throttle side of the two part unit...

7. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

All joysticks will suck sooner or later.

I've had a few Logitech, wingman, wingman extreme and force feed back models.

Lower range Logictechs were cheap enough so I didn't mind throwing them away when they started to break-down.

When I had a few dead ones I started to take them apart and with some hot glue and small hardwood pieces I was able to re-enforce the micro switch locating brackets inside the handle.

However the pots wear-out after that and it's cheaper to get a new one.

I had two Saitek Cyborgs 3D and they were pretty good until the force feedback motors grew too sloppy.

finally got an X-52 and that seems to work really well. However I am so lazy to start optimizing profiles. It is very sophisticated for my taste but it does have so many optional settings that it is pretty cool.

I guess after the original warranty and the store warranty expire and if I continue to play, I will go the full route and get one of the HOTAS Thrustmaster or CH, I can't remember what's what.

However I have read that the hop-up modes; precision bearing and super pots/ electrics are just about lifetime abuse proof.

Spending the big bucks up front and never having to worry about it for a long time sounds good to me in my old age.....

...of course maybe I should just go back and complete my real pilot training for all that money........

:rolleyes:

I'm afraid to tally-up all the money I've spent on joysticks...:eek:

8. Funtom

Funtom Well-Known Member

i have this one, it's good for wb:

[​IMG]

9. Asmumy

Asmumy Well-Known Member

Thrustmaster T-flight Hotas X!!!

[​IMG]

10. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

it's good for shlicking, nothing more.

11. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

Great for night flights and when the power goes off....

12. Higgns

Higgns Well-Known Member

I used the predecessor of the "T-flightstick" series of sticks by thrustmaster called "top gun fox pro".

It is pretty cheap and it has a feel better than many expensive sticks.

You can pick up a smaller version of what asmummy showed called "T-flightstick x" for under 30 dollars american.....which is just a re-named top gun fox pro with a few extra buttons and memory.

It also does PS3

Last edited: Sep 13, 2010
  13. mumble

mumble Well-Known Member

I operated one of those gadgets once. Beware of the hat switch because I destroyed it fairly quickly. That and the Z-axis (rudder) tends to fail at an accelerated rate. That particular component failure caused a very nasty aborted takeoff of a P-38 once.

From other reports in this post, I'm saddened to hear that the ST290 Pro has been discontinued. That little beauty has worked well for me for years now. Currently, the only issue I have is some concern with getting the hat switch to function. It's not extremely unwieldy, but from previous experiences it seems to be a sure sign that the end of the hat switch is near. :dark:

Just to give me a heads up on issues I should expect in the near future with my equipment, what was the demise of your ST290 Pro?

14. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

I have a Sidewinder Precision Pro. Been using this type for 13 years. I've went through 2 of them. I've bought various types and don't like what's out there. This stick is the most ergonomic that I've found. I know how to fix whatever issues come up on them so if you buy one, it'll last quite well. The only drawback is that the stick will get sloppy from wear and tear but I can fix that easily. Also, the rudder twist spring can lose it's ability to hold center. These problems I encountered early on because I was too aggressive on the thing.
    [​IMG]

15. Funtom

Funtom Well-Known Member

I had it too, this joy is the biggest shit what i know, talked about it with other ppl and everybody said the same. This joy is the wrong way ;)

16. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

You have a ps/2 input in your modern machine? Oh, I do, yeah, but it is the exception. Is not that joystick Gameport or PS/2 or something? I may be wrong. I have half my brain damaged and the other half is owned by an idiot. Yes, I have owned one, but cannot remember clearly what type connex it has. ANd am too lazy to look. Good night I gotta go [deleted] and then sleep.
    :D

17. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

MSSP and its improved version MSSP2 were about the greatest cheap joysticks ever made.
    I bought my MSSP2 7 or 8 years ago and it is (as of today) in perfect working order.
    Surprisingly enough, when we had our 302nd PFS convention in Cracow some 2 years ago we noticed, that the vast majority of Joysticks brought by participants were MSSPs and MSSP2s.
    And that thing went out of production 8 or 9 years ago (I bought mine on some closing sale, when it was already a rarity).

18. tazman88

The demise of my ST290 Pro was the same hat. Actually the hat never broke, it just got really weak in one direction (6 oclock). The problem I had was the spontaneous death of my main trigger. It is now very cumbersome for my to fly a fighter because I cant easily and comfortably press the new trigger(button 6) in level flight......talk less when I am in a tight turn standing on full rudder LOL
    level

19. tazman88

what the hell does MSSP stand for

20. mumble

mumble Well-Known Member

MicroSoft Sidewinder Pro.