Lancaster

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by -BISH-, Mar 2, 2005.

1. -BISH-

-BISH- Well-Known Member

Serious question. Admins will we see Lancaster in FH?

2. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

While it would definitely be a nice, and worthwhile addition to reds armoury, I think there are probably other planes with a higher priority at the moment Bish.

I dont doubt though that in the fullness of time, and with the rate at which the FH devs provide us with new planes, it will probably be here within 2 or 3 updates.

It should have been one of the first bombers in Wb, along with the He-111.

3. airfax

airfax Well-Known Member

sorry for disagreeing Bish, but IMO Lanc isn't the top priority plane. Reds do already have quite nice arsenal to what comes in to bombing section. Golds might need one light bomber, but that's another story.

I'd prefer much more to have a bugless RPS (imagine one TOD without whining...) than more planes, even if it means not to have b-239.... :p

airfax :@drunk:

4. laxtsc

laxtsc Well-Known Member

All I see is lack of bombers at gold side. G4M - easy to burn but easy climbs to 8km, He177 - nice climb rate, burn also nice :) and Ju88 - slow climb but nice armor and speed.

BTW Lancaster could be nice bomber here :) I hope there will be 22000lb Grand Slam bomb (single bomb used against most heaviest targets like big bridges also called Earthquake Bomb :)) ordnance :)

5. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

grand slam is penetrating bomb, not general purpose.
    amongst blockbusters i'd list:

? fab-5000 (pe-8 etalon 1943), 4900kg of which 2207kg are explosive

? "cookie" (mossie4special, lancasters, probably mossie 16) thin case high explosion, calibre 4000lb.

? <forgot name> that is "double cookie". anyways, cookie was roof stripper bomb exploding via barometric detonator. it was designed to prepare buildings to take incendiary charges, dropped later.

"grand slam", as well as "tall boy" all had armoured case to bring the charge under the ground.

6. airfax

airfax Well-Known Member

And then you have to drop that 10000kg mega bomb to centre of 20mm ack to kill it. There's no need to have such bombs, at least if the bombs blast radius isn't increased. It would make bombings more realistic if one doesn't have to hit like 2-feet radius of target to kill it. (mainly referring to 20,40 acks and definetly jeep acks...)

7. Kutya

Kutya Banned

Come on, if we already have the Pe-8, Lancaster must be in the game too! And that He-111...

8. airfax

airfax Well-Known Member

Don't get me wrong, I'm not totally against Lancaster. It's great that new planes are added every now and then, it keeps the game alive. But IMO there are few things that are more important than adding Lanc into game.

9. visk

visk Well-Known Member

Lanc is useless, i think... its a night bomber, with radar and some equipment for non visual flight and bombing, impossible to simulate in FH... Huge bombs are useless too (uh, it will be allowed to destroy an entire field with 1 bomb? :) )

The only thing that we will see in FH will be its poor defensive armament. (7,7mm only). Only the Lanc disadvantages, no advantages.

10. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

normal and max load of lanc is far larger than fort's and even liver's.
    that's the problem.

pe-8 was born unexpectedly, and i said that it would be wrong to ignore this hard work of this respected graphics developer.

however, "tb-7 etalon 1941" was moved to 1943 to minimize disbalance.
    so the only disbalance is occuring here is disbalance in heads of critics of pe-8.

11. -BISH-

-BISH- Well-Known Member

I don't suggest this as a priority airfax, though I'd like it to be ;)

It's just so obviously missing, as are the heavy ords...would love to see some of those added. Hangars, factories, ports they are just crying out for cookies :)

I know reds have heavy bombers, but they have not got THE heavy bomber...imagine this game without the spit, or 109, but I ramble.

12. -BISH-

-BISH- Well-Known Member

Exec - I know there must be a system to determine this but how do devs define balance in the planeset?

13. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

afaik, symmetry of methods to solve in-game tasks.
    symmetry is hard to balance due to assymetrical real airplanes.

in this post i will name historical balance as assymetrical:
    interceptors vs heavy buffs (germany)
    non-interection fighters vs buffs (japan)
    zero vs corsair (japan)
    3x t-34 vs 1x pz5 (germany)

so maintaining assymetrical balance is far much harder than maintaining symmetrical balance.

14. airfax

airfax Well-Known Member

I'm just afraid of one more ackstar to be born. Bombing in MA is so far from reality, that introducing one more bomber seems to me a time wasted. True, that Lancaster should be in the game, as many others.
    But first we should get rid of pin point accuracy in bombing. What I would like to see is more carpet bombing, but with the difference to today, that they would actually affect something. Now one can drop whole He-177 load, and not necessarily hit anything. I do strongly believe that such amount of explosives, even if dropped to field area, would effect in some ways to field using capabilities. How to achieve that, I don't know. I'm just a dumb electrician.

But if such feature could be implemented, I'd be more to happy to have more buffs into MA :)
    (It would be great to see big buff formations -and shoot them down :D )

15. visk

visk Well-Known Member

I dont understand Pe-8 critics... for golds, what matters to be bombed by a B-17 or a Pe-8? And Pe-8 is not a super-plane... I killed one at 9000m, flying a Ki-84 (a plane with bad performance at this alt).

Uh, golds don't have good heavy bombers... but germans, italians and japaneses did not have!!! Thats reality! Perhaps Arado Blitz would be a good addition, but it would be available in late TOD, no solve the problem...

In this case, symmetry will be artificial. And i dont have "balance paranoia" :)

Note: I flew gold 70% of time, its ok for me...

16. -BISH-

-BISH- Well-Known Member

thx exec

Ackstars are annoying...but are not used very often, most buffs roll to drop bombs in MA. Personally I don't find it too valid as a reason not to model more buffs.

I agree that bombing is not very realistic but it's a working system for the MA. More carpet bombing would be great if it could somehow be made effective. I'd love to see more eco targets, roads, more bridges, towns, factories but I have no clue as to wether it is possible to change the maps. Pro for the current setup, intercepters plenty of time to get the buff and effective bombing needs some thought.

About the Lanc affecting some kind of gameplay balance, I side with visk. At the moment I see it as simply as :

red has 5 avail buffs - 10 pilots
    gold has 1 avail buff - 25 pilots

gold will gain ground.

The tools are less important than available users in this respect. I'm flying red this ToD, in the evenings here when I fly, most nights we are outnumbered....we (reds) live in Africa now! Gold are kicking arse. You know I even heard a guy say in the ch101 that, "this new launcher is shit...golds never had reset before!". I chuckled to myself.
    I just see planes available as the fun aspect of WB's, teamwork + pilots available affect the results and just wonder if sometimes poeple blur the border between the two.

I hope to see it someday :)

Last edited: Mar 2, 2005
  17. strafe

strafe Guest

Really is not a super plane? What about climb rate with full load? Faster than Ju88, sniper ottos and adamantium armour (maybe made by Magneto Corp.)

18. RolandGarros

RolandGarros Well-Known Member

Learn to shoot better, Strafe, I brought down a lot of these planes last TOD...B-25s are the tough ones

19. visk

visk Well-Known Member

Well, i killed some Pe-8s, did not soooooo hard, and ottos did not rape me :)

I dont know about climb rate or speed.

20. Malino

Malino Well-Known Member

No, the British decided to fly at night because it reduced the casuality rate amongst planes and aircrew by alot.

Flying at night also meant the plane could have less armor and defensive weaponry than its daylight equivalent (The B17) and dedicate more weight to bombload (standard load 14,000lbs compared to the B17G's 9600lbs)

Mal