Loadout of spitfires

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by bazura, May 26, 2004.

1. bazura

bazura Well-Known Member

Today I stumbled on this thread at UBI's Il-2 forum:

http://ubbxforums.ubi.com/6/ubb.x?a=tpc&s=400102&f=63110913&m=334105824

Maybe interesting for developers.

BTW, another quote:

I know, I know, already discussed...but I couldn't resist :D

greetings

Last edited: May 26, 2004
  2. RolandGarros

RolandGarros Well-Known Member

odd this came up, i just recently got a book that has spit9 picture with 3 bombs loaded, looks like maybe 500lb on centerline & 2 smaller bombs on wings maybe 100 pounders - havent got to those chapters yet, pilot is still in hurricane 1

3. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

4. newtry

newtry Well-Known Member

It doesnt matter coz all Spits from V and later were able to carry three bombs

"1941 the higher-powered 1,440 Merlin 45 engine was brought into service and so began the Spitfire V series. The Spitfire V had a higher top speed of 369mph, and a higher loaded weight of 6,417lbs. The Spitfire Mk V was also capable of carrying a variety of different weaponry arrangements. The Mk VA was armed with eight .303 Browning MG's, the VB with two 20mm Hispano cannon and four .303 Browning MG's. The VC model was fitted with the "Universal" wing, which could be fitted with either the eight Browning's, or the 20mm/Browning combination. The universal wing could also carry two 250lb (13kg) bombs. Each of these three wings was also capable of carrying a 500lb (227kg) bomb or tank on a centreline rack."

[​IMG]

5. beryl

beryl Well-Known Member

come on,Spit is fighter, not Il-2, don't use it for ground attacks

6. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

That's the idea of a jabo. A fighter that can be used for ground attacks....

7. tigrou

tigrou Well-Known Member

if it can load bombs , it's not to AA fights ;)

8. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

C'mon- i do jabo very often here... It would be nice to have a 3-bomb loadout in Spit as the reds do have probs with jabos in 1941 (just to compare- a 4 bomb loadout of 109E and 109F4 and 2x250 in ki43 or 2x500 in Me110... simply unfair for an egg-centred pilot like I'am... there are pilots who really don't like rox :( )

So? Is there any chance of 500+2x100lbs ordnance being fitted onto Spit V?

9. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

personally, i don't see any provements.

10. newtry

newtry Well-Known Member

Yes, sure, no provement except the fact that Spits from V and later had ability to carry 2 bombs under wings and one more bomb under fuz.

"1941 the higher-powered 1,440 Merlin 45 engine was brought into service and so began the Spitfire V series. The Spitfire V had a higher top speed of 369mph, and a higher loaded weight of 6,417lbs. The Spitfire Mk V was also capable of carrying a variety of different weaponry arrangements. The Mk VA was armed with eight .303 Browning MG's, the VB with two 20mm Hispano cannon and four .303 Browning MG's. The VC model was fitted with the "Universal" wing, which could be fitted with either the eight Browning's, or the 20mm/Browning combination. The universal wing could also carry two 250lb (13kg) bombs. Each of these three wings was also capable of carrying a 500lb (227kg) bomb or tank on a centreline rack."

"Bomb racks were fitted to the centreline and wings of these machines. Whereas the centreline rack was a seemingly makeshift contraption made up of "L" section steel bars, the underwing racks, positioned under the middle of the cannon bay, were of a more conventional, streamlined appearance. The centreline rack could carry a 500lbs. bomb, the underwing racks one 250lbs. bomb each. At least some of the machines with wing racks had deflection plates fitted to the cartridge ejection chutes."

11. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

i perfectly know that spitfire can lift 2*113kg or 1*227kg.
    moreover, ien spitfires had only one option of those (seafire 2*113 only, spit9 2*227 only (or something like that) etc...)

i proved and insisted that rgreat must make two loadouts (2*113kg or 1*227kg) for all spitfires, so each of spitfires can enjoy selection of two weapon kits. now we have that.

i'm not stupid.

but actual question is
    wether spitfires carry THREE bombs SIMULTANEOUSLY in real practice?

due to photos i gave, they technically could.
    but both photos had commentaries that RARE loadouts are displayed.

newtry, it's XOR, not OR ;)

12. newtry

newtry Well-Known Member

Where is no anything close to real life air-to-ground technic in WB. If something prevented pilots from using this loadout in all cases this doesnt mean that same reason exists in WB. Where was no such thing as "close the field" game.

Last edited: May 28, 2004
  13. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

of course you want rockets! :D

Last edited: May 28, 2004
  14. newtry

newtry Well-Known Member

No. My wet dream is NAPALM.

:dark:

15. Malino

Malino Well-Known Member

But they probably didn't because it limited the range to much to be of any use.

Spitfires other than quick dash's across the channel to destroy the odd radar site weren't really used for A2G at all.

Mal.

16. newtry

newtry Well-Known Member

Spitfires other than quick dash's across the channel to destroy the odd radar site weren't really used for A2G at all.
    Wrong. They were used as dive-bombers in MTO.

17. RolandGarros

RolandGarros Well-Known Member

If i had a flatbed canned i would just post the photo - but i have a stupid fax/scanner/copier combo & would have to rip the page out of the book, was Spit9 from 2nd TAC AF (Monty's JaBos) at airfield near Antwerp

18. Malino

Malino Well-Known Member

I thought we were talking early war........................(Spit Vb)

Mal

19. bazura

bazura Well-Known Member

No comment about ammo load on spitfire XIe? :confused:

greetings

20. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

the answer is simple: prove it and developers will make it.