Map upon reset

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by Snoopy, Jun 9, 2001.

1. Snoopy

Snoopy Well-Known Member

When one side or the other wins the war, and the map resets, it always reset with the same distribution of ownership. In the current Med map the Golds get all the Mediteranian and Western Europe fields while Reds get all the Central and Northern Europe fields.

My question is, can that be reversed on reset? So that when the war is won the reds get all the southern fields and the Golds get all the northern, or better yet have those two possible reset combinations and then have it randomly select which of the two the game selects to use on reset.

I just a thought that in this fashion each side gets to battle in different directions and might make the balance of power shift around more often, as well as having the virtue of making the whole map more interesting.

Now I know some of you are going to say lets have a totally random selection that gives each team about the same number of each type of field. This isn't how a war zone usually starts out and it could mean that large fields that are usually deep in friendly territory and protected by smaller fields would be in immediate harms way. I personally would not care for that. Plus if you will think back to the pacific map we used most recently before the current map, you will recall that in the NW corner (red on Reset) were 4 med and 1 large field. This gave red a larger number of med fields in the overall map at each reset. My proposal would give that corner, in its entirety to gold as often as it would go to Red. There by neutralizing any advatange of field ownership that a map reset gives one team or another.

The other arguement I can anticipate is the idea that it should just rotate once one way, the next time the other. I know that random selection can be weighted so I am not opposed to having the computer weighted towards reversal of starting position, but the direct reversal each time would totally change the strategy because you would know what you are getting with the next reset and might not push on to win the war knowing you will end up with a weak position. If you randomize between the two possible options then you never know what you are going to get after you win, and that means that you could get the map in a layout that is advantagious or that is disadvantagious.(is that even a word?)

Anyway that is my two cents worth? Admins can this even be done? If so, is it something that would be in the distant future? or the not too distant future?

See you in the air.

2. -fla--

-fla-- Well-Known Member

I like it. Great idea.

To mcosta: we are still waiting that proposals... [​IMG]

[​IMG]

------------------
    Major -fla--
    Commander of the Jambock Subgroup and Contact Officer.
    Axis Foreign Volunteers
    Squadron
    ICQ#54040734

3. mcosta

mcosta Guest

Yup... I'm still tryong to find more time to enhance the first beta draft...
    As soon as it's more complete, i'll post it here...

mcosta
    Sturmtruppen

PS : One small part has already been implemented... the fuel tank kaboom stuff [​IMG]

4. gawong

gawong Well-Known Member

Christiansted, St. Croix U.S. Virgin Islands
    Me too great idea!

5. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

any responses from the admins, mcosta?

6. mcosta

mcosta Guest

not even a single word.

mcosta
    Sturmtruppen

7. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

patience, please. some ideas waited for implementation for a year, and were implemented indeed. hope, yours will pass consideration much quicker [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by -exec- (edited 11 June 2001).]

8. -fla--

-fla-- Well-Known Member

mcosta, pls publish your ideas (or at least send them to me in private [​IMG])
    [​IMG]

------------------
    Major -fla--
    Axis Foreign Volunteers
    Squadron
    ICQ#54040734

9. mcosta

mcosta Guest

sent [​IMG]
    that's the initial draft... i'm going to add LOTS of stuff there later [​IMG]
    ( i dont have time to do that.. i prefer to spend my free time online [​IMG])) )

mcosta
    Sturmtruppen

10. -fla--

-fla-- Well-Known Member

Loved it. You are proposing almost a WWIIOL, but only from the air perspective.
    I think many of these could be implemented without many modifications, while others will need great work.
    (i'll finaly be able to use P47s in ground attack)

11. mcosta

mcosta Guest

Almost [​IMG]
    The new idea that appeared here at home between me and rcosta is even "nicer"...
    The new terrain ien released has submaries... is there a way to allow people to control them, with the .commands ? [​IMG]

mcosta
    Sturmtruppen

12. -fla--

-fla-- Well-Known Member

Imagine... sneak attacks at those fleets [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

------------------
    Major -fla--
    Axis Foreign Volunteers
    Squadron
    ICQ#54040734

13. Snoopy

Snoopy Well-Known Member

Ok now you guys are being mean hearted. Where is this all inclusive plan, I want to see it now.