New gunnery model?

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by hemuli, Oct 24, 2002.

1. hemuli

hemuli Well-Known Member

What bugs me the most in FH is the overshooting. People S&P (Spray & Pray) from D10. If you look at present day "sims" like il-2 and WWIIOL the gunney is very different. IMO over D2 kills should be made impossible to make this Furball Hell more FUN! It would be "realistic" too. In WWII the shooting ranges were 50-200 meters. 50 for a kill, 200 for scaring off the enemy. FAF aces like Hans Wind had their convergence at 30 METERS, thats about D0,33. The lethality is OK, but dispersion and gunrecoil needs to be added. I asked Kyösti Karhila how many hits a YAK needed for a MG151 to go down? He answered: ONE (1). But you needed to make that hit. Hand Wind sayed that the propeller turbulence from an enemy in front of you stopped if you wen´t to 50 meters or less. These guys together have over 100 confirmed kills in WWII. They migth have a clue "how-it-was"? Hans is dead. :( But Kyösti I will meet again this weekend! :D

Just my $0,2

<S> hemuli

2. hemuli

hemuli Well-Known Member

3. mcosta

mcosta Guest

just to kill this thread, luftwaffe pilots using 109/190s vs buffs usually fired from 600m + their 20/30mm cannons.

4. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

another nail in the coffin ;)
    due to netlag specific difference of the game from the reality, fighting on 100-150m is almost impossible. optimal in-game distances fire is on 150-300m.

well, actually, this reenginiring project must be just processed with more care, than one paragraph post.

5. gahis

gahis FH Sound Developer

convergence 33yards ?? Ive read RAF standard was 300-600 yards in many books

6. --stec

--stec Well-Known Member

@mcosta
    Buffs were HUGE compared to fighters and relatively easy to hit from longer distances + it was safer to shoot from that distance (exception: sturm units who relied on point-blank attacks from dead 6).

@gahris
    And this is why average brit pilot in BoB had average accuracy below 3%. Polish squadrons pissed on King's Regulation and had their guns set at 150 yards and our 303rd Hurri sqd finished battle of britain as the top scoring unit in whole Fighter Command.

Yanks often sprayed from long distances, Yeager even reported kills from 900 yards or something like this, but this is pure fantasy. I read about 2 or 3 such *confirmed* cases in WW2 - 1 is awesome 800 yards deflection kill of "Buzz" Beurling and this guy was a true scientist when it came to aerial gunnery.

I hope that in new beta dispersion will remain at current level, which IMO is pretty realistic now.

7. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

Dispersion is already much too high in FH compared to real ballistics.

Btw. I generally shoot under d0.5 and its very effective in FH too. Why you see hispano armed planes shoot from d10 is because hispano is so deadly you will need just 1 hit to cause major damage.

I think shooting over d2 in FH is waste of ammo. It's much easier to close in to take take con with short burst from d0.3.

8. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

...and 90% missed their targets.

Look at guncams of veteran pilots. They usually set short burst to buffs cockpit from diving HO at ca 100-50m.

Also same pilots tried to coinvince rest to shoot closer for effect.

Remember its handful of pilots who get 90% of kills.

9. mekh--

mekh-- Well-Known Member

Re: Re: New gunnery model?

But so are bullet size and aircraft hit areas, which have a greater effect than the dispersion, still resulting in making it too easy to hit.

10. HoHun

HoHun FH Beta Tester

Re: Re: Re: New gunnery model?

Hi Mekh,

>But so are bullet size and aircraft hit areas

Do you have any verifyable data on that?

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

11. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

my personal experience: bullet effectiveness falls alot with distance here.