New Pilots or NEWBIES

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by CBFASI, Mar 29, 2002.

1. CBFASI

CBFASI Active Member

OK this is a reaction to a recent event that is similiar to others that have happened recently

Ok I just had an intresting 'discussion' with a guy who was pissed with a new pilot asking questions on an open channel.

This guy seemed to be against new pilots trying to get help while within WBFH online.

We may :nono: lose pilots if this keeps up, I hope not.

Its not just this incident, it has happened with others and I dont think its right. :mad: :mad:

:znaika: Many people dont bother looking at manual or help files when playing a game and this leaves them a little 'lost'.

I was lucky to actually start flying WB with a friend and ensured I was on at same time as he and I learnt that way but some are not so lucky.

:director: GIVE THEM A CHANCE!! we were all there once even if it was years ago.

Advise: When a newbie comes on and it is sometimes very obvious one of the pilots who has a bit of time try to help him. After all the more pilots the more fun. (unless it furballs)

In this case the pilot couldnt understand the map so I sent personal messages to him while up in my Li and explained what he was seeing. To some it is confusing
    :confused: what is f7? but I see a 7.

These new pilots may actually be very very good at flying just dont look at maps and radars in the same way.

OK you may have noticed am annoyed with what happened :ass: maybe cos I am relatively new at 5 months and I was glad of any help.

2. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

your absolutly correct CBFASI. if you have a moment, explain to the newbies. hell i am still learning. in this ever changing virtual enviroment. plus ya never know.....that same pilot you gave the info to, may actually save your virtual life some time. :)

3. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

ehm...
    the fighter pilot must be iquisitive all the time.
    lazy folks that don't bother to get the knowledge of air combat art are not interesting players.
    so the only answers i give online are: forum url, and some quick references.
    i don't love long questions "how to fly, how to make own sight, is external sound pack better than ien's, why la-5fn is so fast, damn i cannot outturn hurr with my greif etc" especially over my target.
    by the way, folks that even don't see entry banner with starting urls are completely lost for the community. they are arcaders from "space invade", rapping spacebar for "new game".

Last edited: Mar 29, 2002
  4. stooge

stooge Well-Known Member

when iwas new i had help from ppl
    but not everyones always this fortuante
    the general FH pilots are always quite happy to help, they are among the best behaved, respectable, help ready, close knit onlien gaming community iv'e ever seen(compoaring to the despicable childishness of the half life community)

5. casper

casper Member

I agree cbfasi. I have not been flying too long( still under 1 yr) and I will say this. If not for the help of some of the seasoned pilots,I would probably have given up. This help came from gold and red sides and I still get help from other pilots. As everyone says, I dont think you ever quit learning. :rtfm:
    ELITE flys red exclusively,so it is hard to really know what axis planes can really do(although i fly axis offline just to practice),it is different when you fly online. There are some pilots who will share their do's and dont's with you because they are secure in their abilities as a pilot and this to me is very much appreciated. After all, the better the competition,the better pilot you will become :super:
    :cheers: TO WBFreehost
    Casper

6. mexlife

mexlife Well-Known Member

I agree with casper; many pilots are more than eager to help. When I started flying here, barely 2 months ago, I received a LOT of help. I just asked for someone to give me a few pointers, and here comes mighty HoHun to the rescue! Then -fla-- a few days later, and many other skilled pilots after. I've gotten a lot of help from guys from my squad [promet, zembla, odi :@prayer: , buenau, etc] and from pilots that are not in my squad too. Many. Nicaee helped a lot :) I would just like to say thank you to all that helped me {and are still helping} because if it wasn't for you i would probably be sitting on my couch watching cartoons right now ;) that means i would've given up. So thanks guys!

When I see someone that asks something that I know, I try to answer. If I don't know it, I usually refer him/her to the forum or to someone else.

Thanks again everyone

Luis :kruto:

7. -fla--

-fla-- Well-Known Member

IMO most of FH pilots are whiling to help new pilots, especially the older guys (from when having 30 pilots online was celebrated :)). I think everyone was helped by someone else.
    Me for example, a guys called Mac (don't know his wb callsign) told me about FH. 1 week later I was flying with Bakers (old squad) and we were all learning to fly. Than -illo- teached me how to fly the 190, than how to fly 4-planes wings. Damn, illo teached me tricks even last week (tks a lot man).
    For all that I fell obligated to help new pilots whenever I can (of course sometimes I'm just in a bad mood, but there is always someone else to hlp him ;))

8. mexlife

mexlife Well-Known Member

Oops I forgot to thank illoman :@prayer: thanks for teaching me that split-s =] has saved my life many times.

thanks again everyone

Luis :kruto:

9. rgreat

rgreat FH Developer

Well..exec i think i do not rememer content of 'welcome banner' as i first connect to FH ;)
    Even more, after 5 min on server i even not remember about presense of that banner :)
    We must be more polite with newbies imho ;)

10. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

why do we hate newbies so much? at least they dont cream us in fights :)

my first time here - i cant remember if there even *was* a welcome banner :) [yes there was ;)] i was just too shocked that something too-good-to-be-true actually worked!! i was so amazed, with my eyes almost falling off.. i hit my forehead on the screen in fact :D then i passed out, went to the hopital to rearrange my skull, get the stitches, and so forth, but thats another story! :p

my first teacher was illo.. damn i think he teached half of FH! we all owe him shitloads :) umm... well i can pay him back with some shit if he's interested.. illo? :D
    later came some details with squaddies from AFVS. and duels helped a bunch i must say. duels are one of best ways to learn! especially if the other is willing to give in vital tips, even if he will lose that way :)

good luck, n00bs! :dura:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2002
  11. rommel

rommel Member

The main reason why warbirds does not have the amount of pilots it deserves is the steep learning curve. Someone can start playing something like cs and get a kill in the first 5 mins. However, with wb, pilots may find themselves still unable to take off after 1 hour! As a result, many pilots (I know many examples) quit, never to return.

Therefore, if we want more pilots then we MUST be as helpful as we can to new pilots. By showing them the great community which soars in the skies, they may then decide to stay and go through the initial tough times in order to be part of this community.

:deal:

12. Perdomo

Perdomo Well-Known Member

I totally agree with rommel.

I am a newbie now, and I have had a lot of troubles, taking off (first fighters with a mouse, then passed to bombers... then decided to buy stick.... :D ), landing (even harder!!), my first fights when everytime I tried to use an ACM I just started to fall and hitted the ground (my sight was black or red, or my wings broke due to g-overload... or whatever :D ).

The thing that has decided me to stay was that I have got a lot of help from different ppl, one learnt me one thing, another told me how to use another one.... and I must thank them all: -pist-, jacobe, big-jo, achtun, cbfasi, hotsea, .... I can't remember them all, sorry, but lot of ppl helps newbies, and a lot more ppl should help more. And for a newbie it is much better to get some hints and tips from players when he's first flying, than being sent to some webpage to read huge loads of manuals, specifications, technical data.... and that "read the FAQ", coz I think anybody should read those things, but once they have "tasted" the game, flown a little and seen how good it is, not before, it can be very hard (or would you read and study for hours about a game you don't even know if you like or not?)

Cya in the air

13. thomba

thomba Well-Known Member

thx cbfasi for this thread,
    a great appeal on (at?) the conscience of all pilots.....

14. stooge

stooge Well-Known Member

yep
    i agree
    i know for certain wb would have gotten at least another 3 or so of my friends if the learning curve wasn't so steep
    however, me and my squad(all fro same school and friends) have great passion for ww2 planes and generally anything tat flies and shoots, so we decided to stay and play and learn and now really think how much some of the ones tat left missed a hell lotta fun, although they think like wise