No-icons Fighter Sweep II: Squadron Battle

Discussion in 'Scenario / Tournament / Squad missions' started by grobar, Aug 22, 2002.

1. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

[size=huge]No-icons Fighter Sweep II: Squadron Batlle[/size]

This scenario is to satisfy the disgruntled reality freaks (but not historical), and all the guys who want to fight, not to drive 1hour some buff. :) Only fighters. No commanders and planning - only flight tactics. 1 life!!!

Arena settings:
    Icons are off for enemy, d5 for friendly. possible to kill buddies. Terrain is ngs1. There are 4 colors - russians, brits, germans, americans - they are all in war.. Four rounds each lasting ~1 hour. To be played in 2 evenings. later we may add more days, if you like it. There are 4 fields - 1 for each color - to the sides of a vast neutral area.

These are all settings. :)

The subscription is of squadrons, not of individual pilots. The form is:

squadron name as it will be created on TA
    side
    the nick of the guy who is going to lead the flight in the scenario - not the leader of squadron, his email
    reserve leader, email

Do not post anything else! Noone should know how many people will be in your group. This is entirely your own business - it could be one or twenty. You decide it internally in squad.

Subscription is open now:
    http://forum.wbfree.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9057

But do not subscribe immediately - inform your squad leaders. Let your squadron decide who will lead the flights. Once done - do not wait anymore - you can see who will fly in the group after subscription as well.

2 hours before scenario start I`ll send to the provided emails the sectors which your flight has to patrol. Your objectives are to fly to there, patrol for 5min and proceed to the next (they will be three - this makes 15min patrolling and ~40min for flying between and engaging). You choose the altitude, separation of group, etc. to achieve max survivability and lethality of your group. The sectors will be distributed randomly (i`ll make small prog for this).

All planes roll in the beginning after which the 4 fields are made neutral as well. All take 100% fuel. There is one life! disco (look at it as technical malfunction), ditch, bail - all count as death. I`m sry - this is WAR, and war doesnt give 2nd chance for your luck.

After each round (4 rounds to have longer fun + to make sure it`s not only bad luck which defeated you) squad scores will be updated like this:

kill: +1 point
    kill of other friendly: -2 points
    lost plane: -4 points

Let`s see is there going to be anyone with positive score at the end. :)
    After round end will be published the patrol sectors for all, the estimated battles between squads according to it, and the list of all kills. Of course pilot reports and tracks too.

Ok, now tell to your sq leaders, determine who will lead the group and train flying without icons. Subscription will be opened soon.

Some additional explanation to prevent complains:
    This scenario is designed to keep you max vigilant all the time, actually to keep you paranoic. Enemy could come in any moment from any direction and altitude. It could be just a pair of planes or a huge squadron shadowing the sky. Your patrol sector will most probably be assigned to some other group as well, mb even 2. On your way you will pass through patrol sectors of other guys. If you are ahead or behind the schedule it becomes even more interesting. :)

It is allowed not to engage an enemy. You decide whether you have some chances or better to slip in the distance of no-icons. Well, if enemy is good enough, it may catch you.

You decide how long to keep an engagent. Keep in mind that at any time a third party may enter the scene.

Calls for help, reports of location, etc. are strictly forbidden! People detected doing it will be kicked (thus earning -4 point for their sq). Every sq is on its own.

Ratio will be kept on number of squadrons per side - the biggest difference could be 2. The squdrons flying permanently on one side will have priority. The others will be asked to change sides to achieve equality. The player ratios as you see may be any. This scen also tests the squads ability to muster pilots. Besides having big group means you may end up with much lower score - more people could die or disco.

Each evening there will be 2 rounds with a small pause inbetween - some 15min to relax, stop your hands shaking, make a pee, do some stretching exercizes, etc.

[size=huge]Planes[/size]
    Red:
    La5FN
    P39Q

Green:
    Spitfire IXe
    Typhoon 1B

Gold:
    Bf 109G-2
    Fw 190A-4

Purple:
    P-38J
    P-47C

Planes prepared with the help of -illo- and -rust-

You may employ both planes in your group.

Here you can d/l aircraft silhouette recognition manual

Any communication on side channel is forbidden. Groups who reveal their positions to others will be disqualified. Groups found more than 1 sector away from their patrol destination or the direct route between waypoints will be disqualified

50 minutes after roll, the airfields will be open for landings and the groups should RTB. The raiders of 109 and La5 should be careful to preserve their fuel (if they travell with 100% engine it may not be enough).

However undamaged planes lost due to discos, crashes in ground or anything else that doesnt produce kill message in buffer will not be punished with -4 points.

When the 50min are gone kills will not be awarded. (so if you crash at landing you dont loose points, nor the guy who pinged you).

Last edited: Aug 27, 2002
  2. -brajo

-brajo Well-Known Member

Finally! :turret:

wtg grobar! :super:

3. Desert

Desert Well-Known Member

4. Skiter

Skiter Well-Known Member

WTG Grobar.... :super:

This scenario will be very crazy :dura:

Finally we will have a big war.... :turret:

Destruction :dark: duels...:duel:

WTG again!!! :D

5. Mach-1

Mach-1 Well-Known Member

Yesssssssssssssssssssssssss

Great Grobar... but pls preserve squads :)

Many pilots of my squad ( 95% ) no speak ingles or outher linguage.... for us is very dificult flight in this is situation

Salute e wait new info

6. Desert

Desert Well-Known Member

Sorry if you respond my question in your first text,(my english is bad) but land in your field for dmg, refuel etc count as death?

If friendly kill proposital, he lost your life or no?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2002
  7. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

Re: Re: No-icons Fighter Sweep II: Squadron Battle

Exactly.

Kill of friendly (same color) from another group or from your group makes -2. If from your group - additional -4 points for lost planes.

8. pietas

pietas Well-Known Member

hmm.. i dont know
    it looks too wired
    nice to be small piece of big war machine and i dont see it

9. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

this is different kind of event. We must be creative. :)

10. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

i don't like two things:

1.new guidea. it's disgusting map. i'd suggest big mediterranean

2.restrict of location reports. this means the most numerous squad in tight swarn will win. in real war flight group almost always can contact hq, then hq can contact other FG.

11. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

1. we use the big space without fields over the sea. i think i`m using too much big med too much and need some change :)

2. then will become one huge furball. In No-Icons I i restricted the size of groups to 4 planes, but now want to try a change. :)

Indeed big squads (or well mobilized) will have the edge, but by careful flying (and thats the fun, isnt it?) small groups can survive and even get to top scores using hit`n`run. no-icons means it is easy to disappear from enemy`s eyes (well, unless he is real good). you may decide not to engage at all as well. It`s all question of tactics. And that`s what flight leaders shold turn attention to.

PS: I added scenario in forum calendar.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2002
  12. pietas

pietas Well-Known Member

a

off topic question to grobar:

scenario has ben built partially due to last scenario experiences and host abilities?
    if YES then isnt it means the main livelimit bug has NOT been fixed YET (neutral fields quick after launch) ?

13. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

Re: a

it has not been fixed
    that`s why you have only 1 sortie, no refuelling, etc.
    i hope ivan fixes the squadron bug for it. otherwise we will simply use 1-99 channels.

next scenario - Small war II - will be the same (even if it is fixed until then :)) because it introduces interesting element in strategy.

14. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

I was wondering, I see 4 sides, gold, green, red, purple, the only 4 possible sides in WB... now erm, golds got AXIS planes, red purple and green have ALLIED planes, did anyone accidentically leave out japanese planes? Ki61 KAI c or Ki 84 dunno... A6M3... you tell me

greetze, Zembla

15. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

Since there are only 4 colors I had to leave out some country. Decided to be japaneses and italians since they have smallest selection of planes.

let me bold something:
    Any communication on side channel is forbidden. Groups who reveal their positions to others will be disqualified. Groups found more than 1 sector away from their patrol destination or the direct route between waypoints will be disqualified

50 minutes after roll, the airfields will be open for landings and the groups should RTB. The raiders of 109 and La5 should be careful to preserve their fuel (if they travell with 100% engine it may not be enough).

However undamaged planes lost due to discos, crashes in ground or anything else that doesnt produce kill message in buffer will not be punished with -4 points.

When the 50min are gone kills will not be awarded. (so if you crash at landing you dont loose points, nor the guy who pinged you).