Nvidia 40.72 driver glitch

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by ironmn, Nov 28, 2002.

1. ironmn

ironmn Active Member

This is for anybody who has a GeForce4 like me who has the new nVidia 40.72 drivers.
    It seems that older Direct 3D games like Warbirds II don't like it.
    I see weird white lines that look like a guns crosshairs over the screen! These white lines print over the landscape and print themselves over the cockpit art too!! :-( I'm sure its not due to corrupted drivers because all other games I have work great with it. Also, if I switch Warbirds II to software mode (the mode without Direct3D) these lines disappear and the game looks great again. Please help me with any suggestions or comments you might have
    THANX IN ADVANCE!!
    - IRONMAN

2. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

when it appears?

3. ironmn

ironmn Active Member

It appears just as the game's first sceen shows on screen..in tower..in the CV control room..and continues during flying.

4. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

it looks like the cause is not fh-cockpits. try to launch clean wb and i guess you'll see the same problems.

if so, i give up. i'm not hardware pro. i'm just an opinionated user.
    i hope that more experienced folk can answer, if given a properly filled problem form.

5. ironmn

ironmn Active Member

PROBLEM FIXED!!
    I remember a little utility in the 40.72 driver tab that says TEXTURE SHARPENING. I turned it off and booom...problem solved. This conversation will self - destruct in T-Minus 10..9..8..7..6..5..4..3..2..1.. :D

6. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

congrats, ironmn.
    nicae, unstick this thread after you update troubleshoting with this solution.

7. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

ok, give me 2 weeks :)

8. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

suggest you a change. staff gives release in two weeks, and a day later you update your central totally.

9. -nicae-

good point!

in 2 weeks and a day, then!

10. chrisw

chrisw Well-Known Member

One more problem with nvidia-drivers 40.72:

I upgraded my graphics from an old 16MB card to another old GeForce 2 MX 400 64MB card. I had the same problem as ironman, these white lines on my screen. This prob seems to be solved, thx ironmn :D

But there's another more severe problem, that occurs only with GeForce graphics cards and nvidia driver:

When i was flying, warbirds seemed to receive irregular and random input from my joystick. So somtimes my view changed for a very short time, just if i used my coolie-hat. And even worse, sometimes my plane got random steering data and became uncontrollable and crashed :(

Now i changed my graphics card again to another old GeForce 256 32MB graphics card. Warbirds no longer gets random steering data from joystick but random cooliehat-data goes on. So from time to time my view changes backwards to my 6-view and back again. It's like an automatic 6-check :) Sounds not bad but i'd like to check my 6 manually.

Jochen seems to have a similar view-problem, and -mekh- had the same steering-problems.

Perhaps other people here faced the same problem? Would be great if someone fixed it or can give some advice :help:

11. -nicae-

i updated my geforce2 MX200 32mb to the 40.72 driver and had absolutely no problem :dunno:

12. ironmn

ironmn Active Member

I had this problem once with my old joystick too.
    It was a loose coolie-hat connection to the button. I 've since bought a bad-a** Microsoft Precision Pro 2 and i've never had no more joystick problems. Chrisw..throw your old stick in the garbage and do yourself a favor and get a cool new joystick man! You can thank me later for fixing your problem.

13. chrisw

chrisw Well-Known Member

hehe, i should have mentioned in my post, i have a bad-a** Microsoft Precision Pro with no loose coolie hat. And with my old 16MB Elsa Victory II card i had no problems. But thx anyway, ironmn :)

Ah, nicae, do you use any tweak- or tuning-utilitiy for nvidia drivers? Or the pure nvidia driver? I myself did install the latest driver only. Perhaps i should search the web for some nvidia-utilities.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2002
  14. -nicae-

dont know of any.. i just installed the drivers and live happily ever after.

but its probably only because i run WB under 2d mode. maybe ill get the bugged WB if i go to 3d. :dunno:

15. Platy

Platy Well-Known Member

crisw I had the same problem a few months ago. all I had to do was uninstall warbirds and FH software, and install everything again. The problem was solved.

PS: I have a MS Precision Pro too.

16. chrisw

chrisw Well-Known Member

thx platy, that's what i'm gonna do now :D , i hope my :joystick: will do :super: then

many :rose: :rose: :rose: for help...

17. torsti

torsti Well-Known Member

rule under windows: after install driver, hardware etc using directx... reinstall directx8.1a (actual) and stickghost is solved - i do so with ms force feedback2...

18. chrisw

chrisw Well-Known Member

i reinstalled warbirds and fhlauncher, but problem goes on...
    now i'm gonna follow torsti's advice and reinstall directx8.1.
    i'm completely sure it will work this time! :D

19. met-al

met-al Active Member

Last edited: Dec 10, 2002
  20. torsti

torsti Well-Known Member

settings in new driver:

sorry i have german driver and translate "free":

- antialiasing done by application
    - disable texture clumb
    - disable antiostrope filter

Works now? Pls Feedback for others ;)