Nvidia TESLA SUPERCOMPUTER

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by ronin, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

Yes :)

Well, the US government archives everything it does, so don't worry, hehe Same as all other governments internationally. How well it documents is another matter, lol :) I heard some "funny" stories about happenings in your state last week, at some meetings.

Cali has lots of problems -- I hope The Terminator can handle it all!

2. airfax

airfax Well-Known Member

Dummy, the cave was for the polar bear. We were waiting for it to come out...

Sneaky bastards those white "lovable" things are.

3. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

I am 100% in agreement al !!!!!:D

:cheers:

yes, 1 t is way more than any electric motor repairman would ever encounter.

I heard the t-word first at SLAC and the bevitron at LBL-UC Berkeley a long time ago....

4. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

from Z's link:

"1 T to 2.4 T - coil gap of a typical loudspeaker magnet[3]."

so... not that much ey

5. looseleaf

Oh yeah?

200 nanotesla = US Congress and WHO Recommended limit for constant human exposure = 2 mG

6. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

The purpose of the field the coil produces isn't to magnetise the room. Hell, there would be no point would there, the field has to be closed to have any effect similar to what they want to achieve. It's there to drive the magnet, not to make your brain boil.

-Z

7. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

listen to the man^
    he clearly has an understanding of the electromagnetic world ;)

if 200nT would fry your brain, would they put people in MRI's with loads more teslas under the hood? ;)

as you've probably guessed by now, the key word is "constant"

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  8. looseleaf

tesla (T)
    the SI unit of flux density (or field intensity) for magnetic fields (also called the magnetic induction). The intensity of a magnetic field can be measured by placing a current-carrying conductor in the field. The magnetic field exerts a force on the conductor, a force which depends on the amount of the current and on the length of the conductor. One tesla is defined as the field intensity generating one newton of force per ampere of current per meter of conductor. Equivalently, one tesla represents a magnetic flux density of one weber per square meter of area. A field of one tesla is quite strong: the strongest fields available in laboratories are about 20 teslas, and the Earth's magnetic flux density, at its surface, is about 50 microteslas (µT). One tesla equals 10 000 gauss. The tesla, defined in 1958, honors the Serbian-American electrical engineer Nikola Tesla (1856-1943), whose work in electromagnetic induction led to the first practical generators and motors using alternating current.

http://www.athleticadvisor.com/FAQs/what_is_an_mri.htm

9. ronin

ronin Well-Known Member

:@prayer:

I withdraw everything bad I said against you and apologize.
    IMHO we "Christians" shouldn't fight at all, but put together our forces and unite ( well thats up to Vatican and Head of Serb/Orthodox ), but still think about it. :znaika:

:cheers:

10. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

45T magnet right here:
    http://www.magnet.fsu.edu/usershub/scientificdivisions/dcfield/hybrid/index.html

and from your MRI article:
    "The most common MRI magnets used today are 0.5 Tesla to 2.0 Tesla"
    (notice the capital "T" in "Tesla", duuh)

so again, people don't have their brain boiled by 200nT

what exactly is your point here loose? 'cause whatever it is you're failing to make it

here we go:
    http://www.unitednuclear.com/magnets.htm

"ALL our magnets are grade N45 (12,500 gauss) or higher." You've pasted the gauss-tesla conversion value, do the maths.

on this page you'll find manufacturer's info in a form of a pdf document at the bottom:
    http://www.magmamagnets.com/Magma/T...ID=1&LNGID=1&TMID=108&FID=214&PID=399&IID=261

Yes, a field of 1T is quite strong, in the same exact way as a field generated by a neodymium magnet is strong. Neodymium magnets are for ex. present in HDD's. Ya think HDD's boil people's brains?

Why do some people find it impossible to admit they are wrong?

and back to topic: There's one more person that's even less know when it comes to radio. If you call Tesla the father of radio, then surely Popov was the mother. Marconi being the bastard ;)

Last edited: Dec 12, 2008
  11. ronin

ronin Well-Known Member

Finally we are talking here.
    :@prayer:

12. Zembla JG13

Stop pretending to be an expert. What you say makes no sense at all. The ammount of teslas generated in an engine or in a coil needs to come from a closed field, which then also has a range dependance according to the earlier mentioned Biot Savart law.

Its not because the engine of a vehicle (1kW starter engine, 12V battery, 83,3A, means a nice deal of teslas), creates a powerful magnetic field, closed over the poles of the stator of the electroengine, that much of this magnetic field will come out of there. First of all if it would it would mean the starter engine would be a horrible design, because it would suffer from severe magnetic losses, secondly again, there's the Biot Savart dependance.

Biot Savart is a sort of Coulomb law for magnetism. Instead of giving the force between two charges it gives the magnetic field strength caused by a certain current over a certain length of coil over a certain distance.

Far be it from me to actually type out what it says. In any case, that 1T, because of it's inverse square dependance will quickly die down to negligable values. Even if the field dies down, the casing of an engine usually serves as a sort of coaxial cable-like shield, closing all the remaining field vectors.

-Z

13. gandhi

gandhi Well-Known Member

ok, so now one of two things will happen:

either he thinks he can still salvage the situation with an "i'm going to pretend like you're actually agreeing with me and we're friends" post

or he will succumb to his douchebaggery

or maybe something else will happen... the suspense is killing me (deliberate wording for ronin & friends)

14. looseleaf

Good idea, you should too.

you objected to my use of the term "electronic" rather that using the word "electric".

All I said is that no electric motor person deals with magnetic flux intensities in the tesla range, therefore I equate the tesla unit with the word electronics.

If you read those links I provided, you would have noted the misprints too. Even so-called authorities can be wrong.

15. Zembla JG13

I shouldn't, the courses I took qualify me adequately.

Yes I did, because electronics have the magnetism largely as a side product. All they need to know is how a capacitor or solenoid will react to currents and voltages, they don't need the magnetism involved with those two. Unless they want to send signals, or they need to control electromagnets, in which case it's still the electronics that do the "driving" and the electrics that do the actual work.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not criticising you, and you're right that even authorities can be wrong, but there's a few things usually correct either way. About the flux intensities I don't know what you're exactly trying to prove though. Why would more of a flux make it more in the terrain of electronics than in the terrain of electricity? Electronics mainly deal in the direction of currents, and conditional charge/voltage distribution. Electrics are used to power elements generally speaking. It's the difference between the person controlling the horse, sitting on the cart, and the horse pulling the cart.

-Z

16. looseleaf

The courses you took in your opinion make you an expert?

Fine, then do not accuse me of pretending just because we do not agree in semantics.

I said electronics because of just that; my experiences were in the control of the steering magnets. If memory serves I don't think the accelerator at Stanford was more than two t's.
    When you see water cooled copper pipes warping to the force of a magnetic field, you get a healthy respect for even two teslas of force.

17. Zembla JG13

Semantics? You think we're disagreeing on semantics?

Because the magnets are used to "steer" something, doesn't make them "electronics". The magnets are part of the "power" circuit, the electronics to control the magnets, are part of the "steer" circuit.

I thought it was the one at Berkeley?

-Z

18. looseleaf

computers did the calculations.
    i was at both; Stanford and Berkeley.

Yes, semantics, in those days my work was in x-rays we hardly used the "electrics/electronics" word. We were not so hung-up on those kind of words. We liked to use words like "high energy physics".

That really brings the chicks to you at the cocktail parties.....:D

19. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

There is nothing worse than two academics arguing over semantics. Please publish an abstract that summarizes what you chaps are discussing :)

20. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

it's not about semantics