OMG, impossible happened, Microprose has been revived and team up with IEN to create Warbirds 2020 !

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by kemioz, Jun 10, 2019.

1. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Well, like I used to keep telling you guys....it's about the pilot, not the plane. Anybody can climb to 40kft and jump another plane. Just ask hezzey. He would take the little bi-planes way way up and would get bloody nose bleeds you could see running down the sides of his plane, and dive after me.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  2. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

When I made the case for the P-38, the programmers made it worse, and then fixed it later. They realized there was a problem after nobody was flying P-38, including me for nearly 2 years. I was even given the task of remodeling the cockpit after doing MONTHS of research. I REALLY worked hard on proving the case for the P-38. But then, after I started flying it again, folks started complaining again. When I flew the P-51, to me it was like a 190/F4u on steroids, along with the spit. But, a person had to be aware of the quirks and work around them, rather than against them. That's why I'll keep saying, over and over, it's the pilot, not the plane, when the "plane" is killing everything. :)

3. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

I used to get into TnB fights on the deck, lose an engine, and my P-38 would really go crazy and I had to use that strange flying behavior to "gain" an advantage. For a very limited amount of time I might add. This was always better as you know with more alt. But, the one thing I always capitalized on was when the attacker would get over-confident seeing the dead engine, smoke, as I played hurt and out of control then I would nail him. :D

4. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

TBH - the sole thing you that were always able to scare the shit out of me with, was the Bf 109F, and not the P-38 :D

5. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Hahah! :) I always thought it was great fun flying Axis planes....they were so much better than most Allied planes, in WBFH that is! But, honestly, the reason that was the case was because I knew the weaknesses and strengths of Allied planes. People forgot that I flew Axis planes just as much as Allied. I just never let anyone know. Secret is out, so yes, I did fly 2+ years non-stop Axis planes. But, I flew all Allied planes for 20+ years, beginning with Air Warrior on AOL, for 4 years and ending with Warbirds. Used to fly 7 days a week, 3-5 hrs every night. I was nuts!!

madvad likes this.
  6. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

I always thought it was great flying both sides. That is what made WBFH so special. Even though there was a clear division of both sides, the RPS made it worth it.
    And I always liked the usual, high risk dogfighting, over the tiresome and tedious vulching with E-fighters (some, like [warning, a curse word ahead] pietas, excelled in).
    There were few really good dogfighters, who could gain an upper edge even starting in a seemingly "lost" position.
    You, and your 109F were among them. More? haupt, helrza, 2 or 3 Russian guys, spuint...maybe some more, but it's long since I (and everyone else) ceased playing WBFH.

As far as my skills are concerned - I was young, puny, and impatient. But I did like the game, and did enjoy it, albeit lacking the patience to really make any real progress in it (IIRC my longest streak was less than 50). But I found nothing like it ever since.

Ever since I flew in the 302nd I was switching sides every ToD, and I must admit there were "Uber" planes on both sides. It's not that the golds or reds had an advantage all the RPS long. It varied over the whole ToD.

-ALW- likes this.
  7. madvad

madvad Active Member

Weeeehaaaaaa

-ALW- likes this.
  8. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

On this note, I have to say..."It's not the plane, it's the pilot" I had many people who said the P-38 was "uber" but, wouldn't fly it. I would challenge them P-38 vs P-38 in the "TA" and they would SOON find out what it was all about. .......the PILOT I sure loved and miss the TA arena. ;)

9. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

Same here... but I was always keen to test the "novelties"... like the Mc.205, which I used to score 7 kills in one sortie (huge success for a dweeb like me) - still - none of the victims, so loudly complaining about my "cheating" in open CH100, ever visited the TA, following my invitation for them to do so.

Was the Mc.205 uber at that time? It most certainly was, although it lacked some qualities.
    But was it OK to go rampant about it, or me, without even checking?
    It most certainly was not.

We (the 302nd) rarely flew the P-38, since there was the Jug to support us in our field capturing missions, when we're flying red (later to be supplemented by Pony D), so I can't really say much about flying WBFH P-38... been there, done that, nothing special... I guess I had more kills with the 37mm gun using the P-39, the Russians loved so much :)