ON screen glitch video card/driver question

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by ironmn, Jan 14, 2004.

1. ironmn

ironmn Active Member

Hi there guyz!! Haven't seen any of you on the Hyperlobby IL2 servers !! Anywayz..i've got a warbirds problem maybe you techno-guyz can solve. I've recently enabled Anisotropic filtering ( 2X ) and Quincunx Full Screen Anti Aliasing on my Nvidia GeForce4ti4400 on nividia driver version 45.23 with texture sharpening box UNCHECKED. Now with all the newer games i'm running smooth as silk no graphical glitches what-so-ever. When i fire up Warbirds for a nastalgia trip I see a series of checkerboard like horizontal and vertical lines that extend to the top and bottom and side to side of the screen. They don't flicker and they seem to disappear when I look side to side out to my wings. But rear 6 view and forward views lines show up. When i disable my video card settings..problem disappears but my newer games look like crap with out the filters on ( hmm..love those blended shaded polygons with Anti aliasing in IL2!!) . I'm using Direct X 9.0b on Win98SE. Maybe i need to download the Hi-Res warbirds screens?

2. ozemale6t9

ozemale6t9 Well-Known Member

Can't speak for your card, but I have a Radeon 7000, and I have to warbirds with 'Alternate Pixel Centre' enabled, or I get similar lines. Problem is, I have to disable it for other games, or onscreen text looks blurry. I think it is more a problem due to age of warbirds....it was not designed to run with such advanced graphics cards.

regards, Oz

3. Malino

Malino Well-Known Member

I have my Anisotropic filtering set to game requested and this seems to resolve the problems.

Mal

4. ironmn

ironmn Active Member

yes..this will cure the problem MO..however ..letting your games control anisotropic and AA duties puts a heavier burden on the game's engine which will starve you of frames per second. Letting your GPU (your video card) handle them completely relieves your game and thus you will increase FPS.

5. Snakeye

Snakeye Well-Known Member

Either way it's the vidcard that makes all the computation, so no matter if you set it to game control or manual, you get the same fps results.
    The only difference is that setting it manually you can set it to desired level to get decent fps. Leaving it up to game to handle it will probably strip you of some fps, as it will usually be set to higher setting.

6. Jacobe

Jacobe Well-Known Member

7. thrapt

thrapt Well-Known Member

actually when you set the video card like Malino said, the game just asks the video card to set anisotropic and/or anti-alising on/off, it doesn't do anything else