OT: Sixty-two years...

Discussion in 'Off Topic International' started by Jochen, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Jochen

Jochen Well-Known Member

I've done this before. But without further ado...

In memoriam:

Hptm. Hans-Joachim Marseille, the Star of Africa
    Staffelkapitдn, 3./JG27
    Victor in 158 aerial battles.
    17 victories on 01. Sept. 1942

4th recipient of the Diamonds to the Oak Leaves and Swords to the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross.

13. Dez. 1919 - 30. Sept. 1942

Attached Files:

2. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

<S> to a warrior.

17 in 1 day is some going. Is that the most in 1 day by any pilot ever?

3. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

just in case.
    this topic looks to me as dangerous.

4. HJM---

HJM--- Well-Known Member

Greatest Fighter Pilot ever, <S> always

5. Batz

Batz Member

<S> for the greatest pilot the luftwaffe ever got. :rose:

6. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

<S> :rose:

@exec
    It isn't dangerous if we remember the self-esteem of all Afrika-Korps (the only German unit that was not somehow involved in war atrocities as we know them from Eastern and Western front). And saluting to a great pilot isn't something wrong... the thought that it might turn wrong itself is dangerous IMHO... it attracts the ppl it shouldn't. But as long as we only honour a pilot and not the system that created the oportunities for him, I'll support actions like that.

7. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

Here here

-glas-

8. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

Requiescat in pace

:rose:

<Z>

9. Jochen

Jochen Well-Known Member

Hi Glas,

Close. The record is 18 in a single day, held by Emil "Bulle" Lang, who achieved his success on the Eastern Front.

Marseille, however, consistantly scored multiple victories - often in astonishing time frames. On one occasion, he downed six P-40s in seven minutes. What's remarkable is that his 20mm cannon jammed after the first victory, and the other five kills were scored with only the brace of 7.92mm MG17s.

But back on topic - Marseille's 17 victories on 01.09.1942 are the most in a day against the Western Allies. He achieved the tally in three separate missions, downing 8 RAF fighters in ten minutes on the second one. (Four on the first mission and five on the third, if my memory is correct.)

Regards,

10. Jochen

Jochen Well-Known Member

Hi Frog,

Good points, and thanks for bringing them up! That's the irony of re-enacting as well, especially for the German side. We distinguish very much between historical representation and political representation. Of course, they're inseperable in the conflict, but as historians, we can remember the achievements of humans while simultaneously opposing the evil of war itself.

War has a terrible way of bringing out both the best and worst in people. My goal in studying and presenting history is to promote the virtues which people learn to exhibit - as an unfortunate necessity - in wartime, while at the same time preserving the warning that, in politics, war is always the worst alternative!

Enough clarification - this thread is intended as a simple memorial to a young pilot who had a remarkable talent as a fighter pilot.

Regards,
    Jochen

11. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

After posting in here I went and read some about him.

For all the skill he had, it was tragic that he died as he did. I read about the 16 P40s he attacked, shooting 6 of them down himself.

You know of any good sites in English about him? The best I found was this one:

http://www.2worldwar2.com/marseille.htm

It's brief, but a good read nonetheless.

12. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

precedent: http://forum.wbfree.net/forums/showthread.php?t=12130

folks, stay cool.

13. HJM---

HJM--- Well-Known Member

14. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

15. biles

biles Well-Known Member

49deg 11min 35.97sec N, 122deg 51min 57.65min W
    Maybe if the guy had learned what Barkhorn taught Hartman he would have lived through the affair.
    The miliatary's job is to accomplish the mission. The soldier's job is to accomplish HIS mission. The guy's job is to survive. Marsielle didn't have much survivability, Darwin got him before he could breed and curse us humans with yet more guys like him.
    I didn't note in any of the anniversery rants whether he told good jokes, treated hookers properly or was generous with loans and gambling arrears....
    then again, I didn't read all of it.

16. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

....your missing the point.

This is a WWII aircraft sim. Alot of people have a deep and genuine interest in reading about the exploits of those pilots who carved a name for themselves. In having this interest, people come to respect the skill and determination of these aviators.

There's nothing wrong with wanting to express your admiration for someone like this. Your the one trying to turn it in to a political context, with comments like 'breed and curse us humans with yet more guys like him'.

Since you didnt know him personally (and by all accounts he had a nice, if eccentric, personality) then I can only assume he would curse us cos he fought for Germany.

No one is the least bit interested in the political aspect of it, please stop raising it as an issue to try to inflame these threads.

:mad:

17. biles

biles Well-Known Member

Darwinism?
    It ain't politics. It is biology.
    Selling Combat Aces is commerce, pita et circu. It ain't politics, it just makes me angry that it is done. How many would pay good money to a (slur) who was willing to sell one of Ghengis Khan's eyebrow hairs? Or a toe-nail clipping of Augustus Ceaser. Or worse (better for the (slur))....
    Can you tell me the death anniversary of Joey Wilson? Number 6578955, died from shock trauma (he bled out) in the Hurtgen forest. He shot five of The Enemy in less than ten seconds. Didn't get a medal. No one wrote him a commendation. He did it with fifteen rounds. That's FIFTEEN shots to kill five enemy!:
    Amazing!
    The other four guys with him watched in amazement as he charged forward. They were all spotted and thirty seconds after Joey, died too.
    But no one celebrates any anniversery of him, or them, his life and theirs, his eccentricities and theirs or his death and theirs. Not as individuals but as part of a HUGE collective groan.
    Joey had a jawbone and a string of meaty vertebrae found, those are the parts buried in a lonely grave. His tags were found near the string of vertabrae.
    He didn't get to breed either.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2004
  18. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

Biles: you're taking it wrong...

19. biles

biles Well-Known Member

Yes. It Is To Be A Joy.
    Like Easter.

20. flygav

flygav Guest

Ha, well on the topic Aces, in the FA {Forum Arena} from my observations, "The Biles" has always been the Top Ace. No matter the Thread if it comes in his view he dives in and stirs the pot, setting up his pray, then blows'm out of the sky. I pity the soul who trys to engage him, armed factualy correct seems to be little help,lol.
    As far as the topic of this thread, reminds me of "Who you are shouts so loud, I cant hear what your saying" He was a Top Ace, so what, he was a bloody nazi bent on takeing over the world. And killing every man women and child. Including your mother, your child and you and me. So what, let him burn in hell like all the other A'holes that have walked the earth.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 2, 2004