Other MMO flight sims?

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by Scarle, Jun 18, 2007.

1. Scarle

Scarle Active Member

Does anyone here play, or know of any box sims that have MMO (Massively Multiplayer Online) style multiplayer (like in Warbirds)? I have the Il-2 series, but the multiplayer, whilst free, is all deathmatch, instant action style, and I prefer the RPS, tour of duty game style like in Warbirds. Seems all the other MMO flight sims are p2p like Aces High 2, WWIIOL, Warbirds 2006, etc.

2. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

Some people, who shall remain nameless until they choose to no longer be, will advise you to fly Target Rabaul, or Target Tobruk, or any Targetware.

They will tell you it's free.

While in fact it's the internet's biggest and lengthiest worm virus. If you install Targetware on your system, you stand a high chance of contracting a so called strangelet, radiated/nurtured properly, you may cause the end of the world.

Though in all seriousness, ppl will advise you Target this or that, and the best bet is to see for yourself. But, it's just not for everyone. I know it isn't for me, because I dunno, the fights etc over there feel so... impersonal. Like flying a jet sim without radar or missiles.

<Z>

3. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

impersonal? i thought so too, when i was new there and knew nobody. and i had no idea about using the radio keys

and the strangelets are cool, i'm keeping one in a jar but both nasa and the vatican are refusing to confirm its authenticity :/

4. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

targetware is worth at least giving a chance
    but when you do, spend some time there before judgin it

5. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

p2p? What do you mean by that?

6. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

I just didn't like it, the same way I don't like peanut butter... or fish, pretty much any fish at that.

Tastes and opinions :) This shouldn't hold anyone back from seeing for themselves though. And Spuint, I was trying Target ware when it first came out, spent the better part of a month there, in the end shifted my attention (to EVE Online). Then again, that's around the time I quit FH (bout 6 months or a year after) so... I guess I'm just done with WWII online flightsims :)

<Z>

7. Red Ant

How can anyone be done with WWII flight sims?! The whole concept seems mad to me! :p

8. Snakeye

Snakeye Well-Known Member

I'm trying out eve as of now, but I think I'll be coming back to TW in a week or so after the trial period ends ;)

9. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

exactly ant! i always thought Z was, after all, a decent guy
    now i see i was wrong... :D

but hey, seriously, i dont know how it looked long time ago, even tho i tried it (but for very short time, i had poor stick and my comp was too weak for it so i gave up) but i think you might have different impression now

but ofcourse if youre sayin youre done with sims... :rolleyes:

10. fatale

fatale Well-Known Member

TW is only hardly playable beta now, when the Targetware will be complete (ROFL :D) it will not be free i think...

11. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

tip of the day: "if" is a keyword here :D
    and its not hardly playable beta, its much more playable than wb 2.77 can ever be

12. fatale

fatale Well-Known Member

Agree :D

I have not installed TW about 4-5 month, maybe it's now better than it was...

13. Snakeye

Snakeye Well-Known Member

It's about the mods anyway. The TW engine sure lacks in options department, but mod developers are putting quite a lot of effort into making as much of it as it gets.
    Target Tobruk is currently the most popular of the available mods as it offers the widest and most balanced selection of planes for different scenarios.

14. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

Massively Mulitplayer...like here at FH Warbirds?????

Have you seen the number of players there lately?

15. gonads

gonads Well-Known Member

I have been playing AH2 for the last few months because of how truly screwed this game has become for me. In my timezone (+9GMT), you can be lucky to have more than 6 other people online, and many of them are cheating swine eg. birusa and the Sibeerian Cocksuckers Brigade, letez and his self-killing. In AH2 I have never seen less that 80 people on when I fly on a week night, and regularly 200+ on weekends. Sure AH2 may not be the most perfect game out there, but it is a lot more enjoyable and has more to offer than FH.

16. Red Ant

I'm thinking of signing up at AH, too. I only wish they had a WWII rps like we do here.

17. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

i liked FH a LOT better than AH. ive played there for 2 weeks, took a free trial and playing planes was way too frustrating. it was nice to try stuff you don't have in FH, like buff formation or planes you don't have here. but 3 sides, no rps, no TOD? also the same type of "engine management" like in FH, when you would expect more from a newer generation sim.
    but if you don't mind that, i guess you will like it
    FH has a lot of potential, although it has an outdated game engine. its biggest problem, for me, is that it's too quake friendly

18. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

yeah this game would still rock if developed properly :) which is not the case unfortunately, but hell, it's free, and it rocks anyway :)

19. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree however the real problem is that everyone has a different view of what "properly" is.

20. Red Ant

I wish they'd just make a Warbirds source code CVS repository (publicly viewable by all, checkins allowed only by developers). Then we could write small patches by ourselves and have them reviewed by the devs who can then decide whether to check them in or not.

P.S. I think one of the main criteria of 'propely maintained' is that the game shouldn't seem like it has essentially been abadoned by the devs. IMO there are so many small, not very manpower intensive things that could be improved that it's just hard to understand why so little has happened in the last 2 years. For instance, just correcting the numerous grammar and spelling errors in the HOST messages would take less than 1 hour.

Last edited: Jun 19, 2007