playing wb in a window?

Discussion in 'Screenshots and Images' started by ledada, May 29, 2003.

1. ledada

ledada Well-Known Member

i'd like to know, if warbirds can be played in a window?
    the reason is: i try to get movies from recorded tracks, and till now i haven't found a good solution... apps like the java-guncam or similar are not very satisfying, and most commercial screengrabbers suffer a lot from "blue-frames" due to directx-interaction (joystick ea).
    i got pretty good results with "forgotten battles", played in opengl-window mode, recorded with wme9 and processed then with tmpeg and virtualdub... if someone likes to see, you can download a 2-minute movie at 190 rox on bridge it is 14mb size [edit: has been replaced in favor of "moody brewster", see overnext post].

so my hope is, that wb played in window-mode might be recorded as well.
    any help is highly welcome :)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2003
  2. Snakeye

Snakeye Well-Known Member

You can try FRAPS (www.fraps.com) - very nice and fast proggy for full screen video captures. The newest version however doesn't work with win98, requires newer OS

3. ledada

ledada Well-Known Member

fraps

hi snakeye,

following your's and vibora's recommendation i tried 'fraps' and... really nice! thx a lot :)
    it is small, free and works up to 640x480 resolution. the only disadvantage is the missing sound-capturing. i also tried 'windows-mediaencoder9', which is also free available, but a huge program. wme9 got nice features for different purposes and does excellent work, but the main disadvantage is that it output is always a wmv-file. recontaining is no problem, but unnecessary work. it also can't handle the blue frames in some directx-games. and due to the cpu-usage not really best for cpu-intensive games like 'il2-fb'.

with 'fraps' it is a lot of fun making videos from tracks. vibora shows some videos from fh-tracks in the thread "the oscar goes..." .
    to find out how far i can go, i made another video of a single-mission in 'il2-fb' with nearly no stutter i could record the track with 'fraps' in 640x480 and 15fps. i edited it in 'premiere' using huffyuv-codec (reduced size from 1.8gb to 0.8gb), added a soundtrack and compressed it then with 'divx5.05' to a resized (480x360) avi-file of 15mb size.
    although it is a pretty nonsense-mission (the only remarkables are ground- and tree-touches :) ) i put the "moody brewster" for download, because even in this small resolution the video-quality is really nice :@popcorn:

Last edited: Jul 14, 2003
  4. Cicero

Cicero FH Designer

The newest version of FRAPS do work on Win98! It just does on my system... :rolleyes:

5. spaceb

spaceb Well-Known Member

fraps works here but it slows down my PC waaay too much. I cannot fly and record at the same time, WB bleeds fps.

6. ledada

ledada Well-Known Member

fraps and track-recording

hi spaceb,

it surely is not "fraps", which slows your computer doen, but the huge amount of data written on your harddrive with fraps.
    since it writes an uncompressed .avi-file, it needs about 3gb for some 10 minutes (btw: fraps2.0 can save the sound also :) but is not for free anymore).
    why don't you record a track, recorded with the game? should work better than "live"-recording...
    i tried some editing with records from "il2-fb"-tracks.
    i started the game in 640x480 windowed-mode, and let get "fraps" full-size captured with 15fps. the great thing is, that you can let the track run half-speed in "forgotten battles"... that doubles the amount of data, but correcting speed on editing to 30fps gives wonderful smooth movies :) (sound has to be time-shifted with a good wave-editor though to avoid pitch)