Question about lethality

Discussion in 'Game bugs' started by demian, May 27, 2008.

1. demian

demian Well-Known Member

Actually , i have 2 questions.
    If u be so kind u can help me.
    First , is lethality same for every type of lets say 20mm cannon?
    The reason im asking is , i have noticed amazing power of shvak cannon.
    1 bullet is often enough for g over, or to knock out some vital part.
    On the other side, gold 1x20 almost never cause g over. If i hit 190,
    it gets g over, if i hit 109 g2r6 (should be armored) it gets g over.
    ????

Second question is about arena parameters.
    I was reading Maletin's wiki and i noticed this:
    SHOWCHUTE
    If =0 then Chutes are not visible/killable? If =1 then Grey Planes are visible after Emergency-Jump?

in arena settings , it is 0, but plane is still visible after jump.

Tnx.

2. mumble

mumble Well-Known Member

SHOWCHUTE means that you can see the guy jumping from the plane. Grey plane just means no pilot. Maybe we can go back to 12mm being pk, and possibly even get to where enough 7mm is pk like it is in offline mode and then see what I'm talking about this way. Awww, too hard? Look at it this way, at least it's not for real. :p

Personally, I don't think all WBFH 20mm are created equal. I actually flew gold for a TOD, and found that the Ho series, MG151 series, and MG FF cannon are slightly less effective than the red ShVAK and Hispano marks. Even if every other round for the gold cannon is effective, cannon is cannon and significant damage should be expected. Not exactly the ridiculous proportions like the Mk 108 or the Bordkannone, but they should all approximate the level that the Hispano marks are at.

Last edited: May 30, 2008
  3. demian

demian Well-Known Member

Mumble showchute 0 means plane should not be visible thats why i ask)
    and second i agree with u that is why i asked in the first place)
    But i expect answer "ALL 20mm same strength":p

4. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

showchute is just there to do what it's name suggest, turn the chutes off or on
    now a bonus to that is: chutes off - grey planes on, chutes on - grey planes off

5. mumble

mumble Well-Known Member

Really? I thought grey planes meant no pilot in the plane even if SHOWCHUTE = 1. Then again, freehost has changed the game so much that it could be a question of switch it on and find out for ourselves.

6. airfax

airfax Well-Known Member

From the ancient thread:

http://forum.wbfree.net/forums/showpost.php?p=54495&postcount=19

FH Developer

Post Характеристика снарядов
    Вот характеристика снарядов
    MG151/20 [31] average_energy=[108.9] max_energy=[135.7] middle_velocity=[618] (9709 counts)
    MG151/20s [32] average_energy=[108.4] max_energy=[132.6] middle_velocity=[609] (2810 counts)
    MG/FF_20mm [33] average_energy=[82.3] max_energy=[106.6] middle_velocity=[542] (383 counts)
    20mm_Type_99_MkI [34] average_energy=[83.7] max_energy=[101.0] middle_velocity=[510] (57 counts)
    20mm_Type_99_MkII [35] average_energy=[92.2] max_energy=[118.5] middle_velocity=[567] (896 counts)
    Hispano_20mmMkII [36] average_energy=[108.6] max_energy=[152.2] middle_velocity=[776] (2927 counts)
    AN-M2_20mm [38] average_energy=[105.8] max_energy=[132.4] middle_velocity=[827] (227 counts)
    Ho-5_20mm [39] average_energy=[90.5] max_energy=[119.6] middle_velocity=[668] (1219 counts)
    20mm_ShVAK [40] average_energy=[99.6] max_energy=[124.4] middle_velocity=[755] (445 counts)
    20mm_ShVAKs [41] average_energy=[97.7] max_energy=[127.0] middle_velocity=[727] (3538 counts)
    23mm_Vya [45] average_energy=[172.4] max_energy=[208.0] middle_velocity=[684] (155 counts)
    MK108_30mm [47] average_energy=[354.7] max_energy=[402.4] middle_velocity=[513] (1506 counts)
    37mm_M4 [48] average_energy=[294.3] max_energy=[396.2] middle_velocity=[630] (145 counts)
    37mm_Flak_18 [49] average_energy=[820.9] max_energy=[1042.7] middle_velocity=[744] (51 counts)
    37mm_NS-37 [50] average_energy=[330.5] max_energy=[464.5] middle_velocity=[728] (148 counts)
    75mm_T13E1 [56] average_energy=[3040.9] max_energy=[3040.9] middle_velocity=[467] (1 counts)

-aike- from IAP 25th (VVS)

So no, not all cannons are the same. Of course, this is from old thread, so the thing has been updatet (altered in every FHL update)

7. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

NO
    the planes flown by poles have more powerful 20mm

guess why..

poles

8. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Yes, LETHALITY2 had same effect for all 20mm cannons. It multiply effect by LETHALITY2 factor. Power of each 20mm is different. MG/FF is weaker than MG/151, etc. As about Shvaks.. it's not the best, Hispanos are much better.

SHOWCHUTE = 0, gray planes visible, chutes are not visible.
    SHOWCHUTE = 1, gray planes not visible, chutes are visible.

9. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

I see that 30 mm has more hitting power than 37 mm ... :joystick:

10. mixer

mixer Well-Known Member

Red_Ant, the data in airfax post is out of date. Now it's different.

And the only way to improve 37mm shells was increasing Lethality3 because 37mm have no high-explosive effect at FH.

Lethality3 is just changing the weight of the shell. 30mm have high-explosive effect at FH but there are no tools to control it.

11. mumble

mumble Well-Known Member

Is this how the game is written originally or is this the FHL approximation of reality?

12. airfax

airfax Well-Known Member

Told you so :D

(I just used it as an example... )

13. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

Well, not that it matters much anyway. One ping from either of those should be fatal in 95% of the cases anyhow.

14. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

I've recently watched a "document" 'bout a pilot who took good care of a 30mm shell from a me262 into his p51's wing root, and then continued the flight to shoot a whole bunch of me109's while being outnumbered somewhat 5:1

well everybody, draw your own conclusions :)

15. mumble

mumble Well-Known Member

That's the difference between real world and the sim. I think that the DM here is limited. From what I gather, you shoot the plane in Part A, which requires X amount of energy to destroy, so after putting X amount of energy into Part A, it is destroyed. Now there may be some "interesting add-ons" made by the dev team. They may have put something like a "do not destroy" rivet on the wings to where one hit with enough energy will destroy the wing. If there's an old post about this somewhere, feel free to re-post the last idea anyone had about how the DM "works."

16. pirake

pirake Well-Known Member

Speaking zekes are that the aircraft of the gods in FH is not new. But lately I have seen many good bless edition zekes, getting 6-7 or up to 8 shots of 20mm and still flying normally, it only see videos of the former WW2 giving to see that even a few shots .50 were already enough to leave in flames
    On this track the zeke receives 6 shots of 20mm Hispanos of spit
    in the following positions
    3xL Wing (at least get enough tanks to explode the fuel)
    1xVStab (he lost but still flying is a miracle ...)
    1XPilot Armor (for me it is enough to take PK, because zeke has no effective protection for the pilot)
    Then I ask (Excuse my ignorance) the lethality in itself can be changed in munitions or can also amended the ability to cope with a plane of some damage?

Ps: Sorry for my bad English

Attached Files:

17. heartc

heartc Well-Known Member

Is the incendiary effect of the US 50cal round modelled in FH? Seeing how like probably 90% of all RL A2A kills were brought about by setting the enemy plane on fire - both for cannons and machine guns - concentrating only on structural damage in the WB/FH damage model makes machine guns, and especially those with incendiary rounds ridiculously ineffective.

In addition, those pictures of B-17s with big holes in them or missing half of the plane, where some ppl claimed it was the result of 20mm fire, or a single 20mm shell, is total bollocks. In most of all cases these were in fact flak hits / flak shrapnel hits. Also that picture with the Spitfire sitting on the ground, having a big whole in the side, which was some kind of durability test, they put an explosive round INSIDE the airplane. That's a huge difference to an explosive round detonating outside on the skin, which they often did. Some sources even say it was a friggin grenade.

The damage model / lethality on FH is screwed imho. If one cannot model fire / fire propagation properly due to limitations of the WB damage model, then one has to increase the lethality of MGs by other means to approximate the RL effectiveness. Even if that means giving it more structural destructive power.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2008
  18. heartc

heartc Well-Known Member

Think about it: Everytime you hit a con with incendiary ammo and it starts leaking fuel / oil, it should actually be in flames. Well, not everytime, but *damn near*. Not every round might ignite something, but you are shooting with 6 machine guns and a high ROF, that's *plenty* of fiery rounds landing in the fuel tank or wherever. Damn, anyone who says the 50cal ammo was ineffective iRL or is modelled properly here, I would love to invite him to sit ontop of a fuel tank while I shoot just three rounds at it.

Check these out:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4Toko3JDEQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R4V0T_2aZI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuXXSmAGP9k
    Notice how the truck seems to sit there since a long time, and probably has almost no fuel left, yet it starts burning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BsKfxXtQrzc
    (Not even talking about penetration here, I know these were ideal conditions - albeit a range of 600 yards! Also most non-ideal conditions in air combat are offset by the high amount of bullets - but the incendiary effect.)

Now imagine 6x 50cal machine guns firing at a high ROF...

Last edited: Jul 24, 2008