Rockets loadout Tempest/Typhoon

Discussion in 'Engineering Retrospective' started by strafe, Nov 13, 2005.

1. strafe

strafe Guest

I found in ISBN 89-747-232-2 Typhoon/Tempest in Action series a interesting info. In page 36 is showed a picture with a Tempest version with rockets and a line above:
    "Although the Tempest, unlike the Typhoon, did not use rockets operationally during the war, the Tempest MKV was tested and cleared to carry eight rockets on MkVIII zero length lauchers".

That loadout should be romoved from Tempest V.

And page 17:
    "Rocket attacks were initiated on 25 October 1943 by No181 Squadron (16 Wing)."

Typhoons started in Jul/1942 (rps 1.65). The loadout rockets should be avail only at end October or early november 1943, not in jul 1942.

1 person likes this.
  2. RolandGarros

RolandGarros Well-Known Member

Making red JaBo ability historicaly accurate is worse for you than you seem to think. It would just about double the available load for most USAAF & USN fighters & SpitfireIX also.
    Better would be to ask for photos of axis snatch in He177 cockpit

3. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

That doesn't mean they couldn't carry them. If pilots decided to not use them, why should reds behave like that in the game?

4. RolandGarros

A while ago I read about Japanese use of AA rockets, but I forget which plane.
    Everyone has fireworks but the asians, the guys who invented them (OK none eyeties & chin-nat P-40 also, but those are minor players)

5. strafe

strafe Guest

This section is to discuss about ammo load and others issues. I found that Tempest did not use rockets and IMHO this option should be removed.

BTW, Me 410A/B carry 4x210mm rockets, and this option was not avail. It could be a good idea put 50mm cannon on it too (B25H has 75mm...)

6. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

Which is different than: Tempest couldn't carry rockets. It could, but they did not use them. Then, i think it's ok if WB allows Tempests to carry rockets

7. strafe

strafe Guest

Thinking like that every ammo load tested or not should be avail to all planes. Fw190 should carry torpedos, japanese planes should use rockets (I have pictures)...

8. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

Did they carry them on fight? From your first post i understand that tempests fought carrying rockets, though they didn't use them. Did 190s ever fly combat missions carrying torpedoes? Or is it that they just tried to make them carry them? There's quite a difference IMHO

9. RolandGarros

tempest rockets dont do shit anyway, the pair of 1000 is what a smart tempest dweeb picks

10. strafe

strafe Guest

Calm down.
    First post I said rockets were tested and cleared to use but .... TEMPESTS DID NOT USE THEM DURING THE WAR its is very clear to me. FHL's Tempest has rockets in normal ammo load, it is not corret.

And

Fw190 tested several torpedo versions, use it in combat but I don't know how many was used, I have to check my books. I'll do it later and post here.

If the rockets are avail to Typhoons before October 1943 more one gold plane should have this weapon avail at same time when typhoon appears, just to balance.

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 17, 2005
  11. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

will check asap
    /chief gunmaker of fh/

12. RolandGarros

May I have some Tiny Tims while you're at it?

13. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

14. strafe

strafe Guest

Thanx exec.