save a historic Battle of Britain Airfield RAF Tangmere!

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by RedBull, Aug 8, 2006.

1. RedBull

RedBull Well-Known Member

Following request i have received on the 312. (CS) Squadron RAF email. It seems to be serious matter. Everyone who can support it is welcome.

Attached Files:

2. biles

biles Well-Known Member

49deg 11min 35.97sec N, 122deg 51min 57.65min W
    It ought to be made into a shrine/park.
    There are some places I would like to see in Ukraine and on The Road To Moskow and even in Berlin's parks.
    Many of those restful places are both beautiful and have a little playground for the children. Adults can grieve and reflect and kids can play and people can have a picnic.
    Some folks enjoy tombs and well thought memorials. I am one.

I saw a picture once of some tourists looking up at a Big Fuckin Statue outside of Saint Petersburg, some of them were crying. All of them were packing lunches and the little kids could care less.
    That was poignant.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2006
  3. RedBull

additional info (abstract from correspondence):

4. Rainer

Rainer Well-Known Member

I'm certainly one of them as well. I finally got to visit Washington, D.C. last year, my first time ever. The Korean War Memorial was very moving, seeing the lifelike statues of the soldiers plus all the markers almost brought me to tears.

Being able to actually reach up and touch my uncle's name on the Vietnam War Memorial, well.....I wasn't prepared to feel so much emotion for a man I'd never met, even though I was named after him. It was overwhelming, powerful, and when I finally let it all set in, cathartic.

I don't mind people hanging around memorials having picnics, kids playing etc., but I visited the USS Arizona Memorial at Pearl Harbor a coupla years ago, and even though you are told (not asked, it's certainly not presented as an option by the boat drivers or the short film shown before the boat ride) to respect the dead and any/all family member who MIGHT be in your presence by being completely silent, I was appalled to hear laughter, snickering and people actually speaking out loud while standing over the sunken ship.

And when I turned around to see who was laughing, talking, carrying on, the people were of Asian descent.

Now, I'm no genius, and I'm certainly not the most politcally correct person on earth, but if I ever get a chance to visit one of the memorials in Japan for the victims of the nuclear blasts that ended WWII, you can bet your sweet ass I'll be the most respectful, silent, somber motherfucker you've ever seen.

Peace & Hair Grease

Rainer

5. biles

biles Well-Known Member

49deg 11min 35.97sec N, 122deg 51min 57.65min W
    Many people from asia go to picnics with 'the ancestors.'
    I am not sure about requirements to remain somber in tombs elsewhere. That said:
    If someone explains a proper decorum it is only polite to respect their instructions.

That said, how do you suppose many people elsewhere on the planet feel when USA flag bearers do not dip the flag, ever, while in another land?

I have seen flag bearers from the USA while they marched past my nation's colours and did not dip their flag. I understand it is tradition and 'Americans' will NEVER do it, for ANYONE, anywhere, so I don't take offense...

In my nation, there were dozens of "Canadian Legion" halls shut down because the local boards refused to allow veterans with turbins inside unless they REMOVED THEIR HATS. A Sikh removes his 'hat' for no king. [I believe it is the same for a turbanned Arab]
    There were MILLIONS of sikhs who fought for The King and Empire.
    The Canadian Legion executive was ruthless, they made a change in a most ruthless manner. And now, old Sikh Veterans of the World Wars can come into a Canadian Legion Hall if they wish to, without being called "Heathen Cocksukers" out loud.....

Last edited: Aug 11, 2006
  6. RedBull

Jamie Liskutin who has asked us for support is a grandson of one of the still living Czechoslovak fighters, famous Miroslav Liskutin - DFC, AFC, member of the 312. (Czechoslovak) Sq. RAF. He lives actualy in England.

For Jamie and also for most of Czechoslovak people those airmen are important part of national history and they enjoy high community credit. We are obliged to them for our freedom. Keeping a remembrance and heritage of their lives for future generations is mostly only one way how we can reciprocate. And this is a point of matter of Tangmere airbase - keeping a remembrance. Without origin rememberance we will lost a history. No history - no future. Without places like Tangmere our history will be only product of Hollywood scriptwriters.

I knew and still know several airmen-veterans, so for me it is not a game only. Its a personal matter. Tangmere has my support - no matter if my voice can really change something or not. One day i would like to take my sons from playground and show them Tangmere and say: "look - here were men i knew and shown them you on photographs. Here they were flying"...