Should the colour of early A6M be changed?

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by bazura, Aug 30, 2004.

1. bazura

bazura Well-Known Member

Although in many places (films, videogames...) the colour of the A6M is a light grey (as we have in WBFH) more recent investigations say the actual colour was more of a "gray-green".

Fortunately the trend is changing. Recently I discovered Target Rabaul , and there (they say) they have it correct. Here a little discussion about the research they made:

http://www.targetware.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=4132

Also from their forums, I found a nice photo of a restored (and repainted) zero:

http://www.targetware.net/modules.php?op=modload&name=PNphpBB2&file=viewtopic&t=4984

[​IMG]

If you search in google about this subject you can find much information.

Disclaimer: I don't pretend this information is "proof", I just post it in case developers are not aware about this issue, so that some investigation may be started.

greetings

2. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

get a freakin life. worried about colors lol

3. Harpoon

Harpoon Well-Known Member

AFAIK colours would be changed depending on ship/squad/field as well as certain pilots personal preference and that's not including things like pilot rank and what colours were laying around when they painted it.

Most planes would have been painted in some type of camo scheme I'm guessing but since most of the planes in game are a solid colour or just the simple two tones I don't see any point in bothering.
    If there is any way to skin warbirds II planes like WB3 planes.. well that's a different story.

4. bazura

bazura Well-Known Member

Well, the choice of the color was not trivial, early Zeros were gray-green because the anticorrosive painting they used was gray-green. Nevertheless, there is some slight variation, from what I see in the various skins in Target Rabaul. For example, first screenshot is scheme "Zuikaku Hikokitai, Oct 42", second is "Tainan Kokutai, Aug 42". Obviously we can't have them all, but any of them would be better than the current situation, IMHO.

Early zeros were fairly simple, as you can see. In fact the current "camo" is right, only wrong shade. That is one of the reasons I post this, because, it seems to me, the change is quite easy. It could be harder than I think, though.

greetings

Attached Files:

• 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      67.5 KB
      Views:
    • 008.jpg
      008.jpg
      File size:
      66.8 KB
      Views:
  5. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

I'd be happy with a "gay-green" instead. I would feel sooooo niiiiice

6. spaceb

spaceb Well-Known Member

Pink would suit it better, or purple :D

7. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

If you think color doesnt matter, then why dont we all fly red planes with sparklers on the wings? Then we could all easily be spotted and identified!

If the a6m's color was darkened it could aid to blend into both sea and land "the color is much less obious from far away as opposed to grey.

8. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

flashing orange with a little hearts all over!

9. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

Neon Green with neon orange trim!

10. spaceb

spaceb Well-Known Member

Pink with a "Hello Kitty" face on each wing would rule! :D

11. -afi--

-afi-- Well-Known Member

I want one with a big picture of JESUS CHRIST on the side.

And he has to be holding a Bible and giving Ghandi a hug on the wing.

Holy shit I love to dance.

12. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

OK....ok.......ok.....get this......Pink, with white trim, with tassles hanging off all corners of the plane and control surfaces.....a baseball card in the propeller path to make that cool "raceing" sound, and those pegs that let you stand next to your wheels while in motion, only have them just to the side and behind the cockpit......hell yes....it will be the queerest plane ever created short of the.......well......you know, any other previously queer air desighn........

Ill take mine with louvers all over to lighten the plane up, add cooling, and of course to look cool, with "batman" style phrases over the wing root guns like "pow!" and "crack!".....the plane would be....Black..with yellow on every control surface and the engine cowl!.......It wold be the coolest thing ever.....oh yess......excellent.

ON THIS NOTE! FH ADMINS! PLEASE THINK OF MAKING A PROGRAM WHERE WE COULD PAINT OUT OWN PLANES! EVEN IF ITS JUST FOR OFFLINE HUMOR.... It couldnt be so hard could it? Plus it would save having to modle in new planes, we could just custumize whatever we fly........

13. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

You're all idiots. Gay-green rules. With pink seat, of course.....

14. Harpoon

Harpoon Well-Known Member

Paint it 255 0 255 aka transparent.

15. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

Pink... :D

16. badger

badger FH Beta Tester

Wonder if our Ki-61 turn out nj ne painted wrong too. :D