The Music Thread!

Discussion in 'Off Topic International' started by -cbfs-, Oct 26, 2004.

1. sebbo

sebbo Well-Known Member

Does anyone here listen to Strapping Young Lad / Ocean Machine / The Devin Townsend Band / Physicist / Any of Devin Townsend's 20 different bands? Bloody amazing!

Another great band is Necrophagist. The name ("Corpse Eater") sounds extreme, but the band is extremely melodic.... Well, for a Death band at least. :)

2. -cbfs-

-cbfs- Well-Known Member

Where the flowers bloom like madness in the spri-i
    Sebbo, Necrophagist is my grandma's favourite band!

:super:

Pikkot, do you have the original JP CDs over there, or are you swamped by the stupid 'remastered' ones?

:rtfm:

3. -afi--

-afi-- Well-Known Member

I got a yes on Strapping Young Lad here.

4. Pikkot

Pikkot Well-Known Member

CBFS orginal CD are older then me.

I got remastered Stained Class and Defenders of the Faith.
    Live in london is too fresh for remasters. And also "Metal works 73-93". I'm collecting cash for Painkiller and British steel cause I'm still using copied CDs.

5. reuben

reuben Well-Known Member

@ -cbfs-
    Diamond Head: Anthology 1980-93 2-CD and
    Diamond Head: Best of... 1981-83
    are the only 2 cds at my fav netshop...

1 Live Cd
    2 Am I Evil Definite Anthology
    3 The White Album
    4 Death & Progress
    5 Evil Live
    6 Best Of

are at cdon.com, but I don't think they deliver to greece? They position themselves as "The nordic cdshop", so...

Make a search!

;)

6. -cbfs-

-cbfs- Well-Known Member

@ Pikkot - Yeah... I just don't like the fact that the bonus tracks invade the original tracklisting - gives the whole record a different (not better) feel. Luckily, in the PC I can erase the last two tracks from my Winamp playlist, but I guess I will still have to run screaming for the stereo power cable when the normal tracks are over!

:p

@ Reuben - Roger that - I'm in the UK now, hehehe. I'll see what I can do, thanks for the links!

:D

7. lemmie

lemmie Well-Known Member

:kruto: My driving collection currenty holds:

Venom - Resurrection
    Sabbath - Vol. 4
    AC/DC - Powerage
    Muddy Waters - Singles
    Cro Mags - Age of Quarrel
    Motorhead - No Sleep 'Till Hammersmith
    Zeppelin (ripped disc 2 of DVD)
    Probot
    Cult - Love
    Voivod - War and Pain (remastered)
    B. Boys - 5 Burritoes
    GBH

...I think...

-Lem
    :super:

8. reuben

reuben Well-Known Member

Lemmie not related to mr. Kilmister?

No Motцrhead in the collection? What a sad thought.
    Earler tonight, before I went to bed (and thatwas before my sick kid woke me again, it's gonna be hell to pay at work in uumm 3hrs) I listened to a lot of MP3s and read a nice, good book (Night Watch by Terry Pratchett)... the music ranged from Bob marley via The Who to Exodus, including Judas Priest and The Doors.

yeah, I can't make up mind... lol

9. -afi--

-afi-- Well-Known Member

Awesome. Both simply awesome.

10. sebbo

sebbo Well-Known Member

Another GREAT band: SUFFOCATION!!!! (www.suffocation.us)
    Frank Mullen is the reason I started singing in the first place.

And then: VADER! (www.vader.pl)
    The greatest thing to come from Poland since Pope John Paul II. Listen to their cover of Slayer's "Reign in Blood"!!!!

NILE!
    A band with songtitles like "Nas Akhu Khan She En Asbiu", "Chapter For Transforming Into A Snake", "Libation Onto The Shades Who Lurk In The Shadows Of The Temple Of Anhur" and "Masturbating The War-God" has to be cool! Brute Death, heavily influenced by ancient Egypt and Sumeria.

Gorerotted!
    The sickest British band ever! The members are called Rushy Insane, Goreskin aka Babysliced, Robin Pants, The Wilson and Mr. Gore, the music is Gore-Grind Death Metal. Songs like "Her Gash I did Slash" and "Mutilated in Minutes, Severed in Seconds". Great fun! Check out the Right Said Fred parody in the song "Zombie Graveyard Rape Bonanza".... :D

BERZEKER!!!!!
    Aussies are crazy! Grindcore/Death without a drummer! Instead, they use a drum-computer. Grind meets hardcore techno. Simply amazing!

Other fun bands are Napalm Death (GB death), Pyemia (NL death), Kutschurft (NL goregrind), Anal Cunt (USA grind), Cannibal Corpse (USA death), Atrocity (GER metal), Coil (USA industrial?), Fetus (USA industrial?), The Shizit (USA techno/punk/metal), Quo Vadis (CAN death), Atari Teenage Riot (GER techno/punk), Ratas do Porao (BRA hardcore), Belgium Asociality (BE punk), Balthazar Gerards Kommando (Afi should listen to this. NL hardcore/punk, but available through Alternative Tentacles Records in the USA), Brujeria (USA/MEX death), Scarve (FR metal), No Return (FR trash), Mussolini Headkick (NL punk), Heideroosjes (NL punk)...... And loads more I forgot about!

11. -cbfs-

-cbfs- Well-Known Member

Anyone love/hate/ever heard of Joy Division? One of the oddballs of my collection!

12. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

Foreighner, Queen, Eddie Money, uh......Silverchair was cool, Greenday, Lavinia,....and like mentioned before, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Smashing Pumpkins, Soundgarden,ect.

13. reuben

reuben Well-Known Member

Why did guys that hate themselves so much call themselves JOY division??

But themusic is ok.

And Helloween (GE) Rainbow, Purple, Boston, Iggy & the stooges, Free...
    I give up... too many, too soon

14. -afi--

-afi-- Well-Known Member

CBFS, I love joy division!

Love will Tear us apart is one of the best things ever put to music :)

Speaking of which, anyone like The Smiths?? I have a thing for them, great shit.

@ Bas, have you heard of Converge? Fucking awesome hardcore with grind influences. I'm sure you've heard of them but if you haven't, check it out!

15. -cbfs-

-cbfs- Well-Known Member

Reuben, you can google for 'Joy Division' name meaning, but I'm not putting the explanation here, some people might find it offensive. Ah, yes... Purple... my little brother can't stand them, I f'ckin love them :rolleyes: :p

Afi, I'm not an expert on the Smiths, got a Peruvian friend who's really into them though... Gonna ask him for guidance :D

16. -cbfs-

-cbfs- Well-Known Member

After merely 'dipping my toe in' the Smiths, I believe I'm gonna like (love) them! Some lyrics are sooo cool, pretty unconventional way of 'telling' them too :p

Isn't it amazing everytime you find something you like?

17. biles

biles Well-Known Member

49deg 11min 35.97sec N, 122deg 51min 57.65min W
    Ever since I was little I have had this mental retard thing in my pointy little head. It goes like this:
    The last song I heard is the song that plays again and again in my head. I whistle it, I sing it, I hum it. Even if it is a song I hate or some stupid fucking ad jingle.
    And the one that has been whizzing around between my ears for a couple days now [I been away and haven't been listenning to anything so this fuckin' song just keeps going around and around and aoround and I am going to go fuckin' NUTS unless I can listen to something else QUICK-LIKE....

Would I Lie To You
    Uerythmics.
    [I hate that song]

18. sebbo

sebbo Well-Known Member

Listen to the dutch band "Neuk"(Which means "Fuck"). Their record "Tot de schijt ons doodt" (which means "Till the shit kills us"and is a rather clever wordplay on the Dutch version of "Till death do us apart"). Great fun!

19. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

Once again, I am out of the discussion because I have no clue about half of these "im assuming their european" bands......MODEST MOUSE! lol, they started as a band right next to me town.

20. -afi--

-afi-- Well-Known Member

They're very good, but the hype is too much over them. Same goes for The Postal Service.

@ Bas: Have you heard of Forever I Burn? If you want I'll send it to you over email, it's metalcore with more high pitched vocals. Great stuff man.