Voting about Yak-9 in compare with 109F4

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by Vit, Feb 1, 2001.

1. Vit

Vit Well-Known Member

There's a long discussion in "Genegal disscussion" part of this forum.
    The question is Yak-9 turnability in compare with 109F4, the most documents and memoirs tells Yak-9 had better turnability especially on right turn.
    In WarBirds there's no problem to eat Yak-9 in turn fight on 109F4.
    The most part of the FH pilots from exUSSR want to see Yak-9 as dangerouse opponent in low level close combats.
    FH dewelopers declined our chaotic requests
    to improve Yak's turnability.
    And now we're doing the open voting about this.
    Welcome to join us!
    Theres mixed russian-english page

URL is: http://www.unit.kz/fh/voting/

and sorry for my English
    w/best regards
    capitain -vit-- 228ShAD VVS RKKA

2. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

Sure, if you feel its unrealistic now.

3. -doku-

-doku- Active Member

All Yak's props are spinning to the "right" and all else planes props to the "left". So Yak's turn better to right and all else (109's too) better to left. Am I right? [​IMG]

-doku-

4. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

-doku->Am I right? [​IMG]
    Right. Have you voted?

5. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

hmmm, i to remember when yaks were good turners. in real life. luftwaffe was told not to engage with yaks at alt below 16,000ft . here at FH i find yaks not to be that great at turning, even more touchy with black outs and red outs. same with the allied cats with the red out and black out problems?

6. -haupt

-haupt Well-Known Member

You missed something bizerk. LW boys were told to not engage Yak3. But this voting afaik is talking about Yak9 wich was a different plane.
    Dont need to say that Yak3 was far supperior than Yak9.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2003
  7. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

i believe from some reading and documentaries that it included earlier marks of the yak as well. could be possibly because luftwaffe pilots were not used to these aircraft also, only to be even more surprised by later marks of the yaks.

8. ronin

ronin Well-Known Member

Yak1 and Yak9 were beter turners than 109ers definitely and not in right side but in "left" side ( ate least here in FH ). Also Yak1 had had beter E retain than nowadays ( why developers decreased that ability? ). Yak 9D used to climb much beter than yak9 and also he was able to have exelent dive abilites ( no shaking plane, and faling parts as well ). Yak9T here at FH is plane that is totaly screwed up now. I remember days when no 109 or 190 with his 30mms against my 37 mms and with conv==700, on headon could survive. Also yak9T used to climb much beter! Now im geting killed by 109ers on HO even with their 20mms dang :(. Talking about yak3, that is Exelent plane and for me only plane that i do not have fear to fight against any con at FH tho it coming to late, almost by the end of the war, so there is no much time to enjoy in flyin' that beautiful plane.
    For the end only yak9D wasn't able to outturn 109 what is totaly realistic!

Last edited: Jan 20, 2003
  9. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

Problem is that 109f-4 and g-2 turn too good in v 1.42.

Thats fixed.

10. Snakeye

Snakeye Well-Known Member

I think this should be discussed having in mind that 109f4 and 109g2 will be tuned down, so their turning ability will probably decrease too.
    If after these changes, this will still be an issue, then some measures could be taken.
    Until then, I think we need hard data (not memories or even directives) and some testing by beta testers on abilities of arriving 109f4 and g2 against yak9

11. Tacmud

Tacmud Well-Known Member

Flying model of yak9 is now poor (well, funny). I hope will be better in new FH.

12. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

How is it poor?

Some hard numbers, please.

13. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

maybe when the 109 has it's changes to climb and speed the yak will seem better. but the yak used to be a very good turner. and now it blacks/reds out fairly easily. you want numbers! how do you get numbers when flying in the arena?? try flying it, turning it,pulling negitive g's etc. you don't fly red often enough illo perhaps. maybe at times as quax or another nick. but the yak is not the same plane it was. and not for the better of the red pilots. now i'm not trying to get any changes to the 109's they can stay just as they are. but the yak series aircraft through time have deminished in thier great qualities. such as climb/turning and regaining speed in level flight. the yak 9d should be on par with the 109f in climb.

yak9d climb 4 minutes 54 seconds to 16,404ft (5,000m)

109f-4 climb 2 minutes 36 seconds to 9,842ft (3,000m)

maximum speeds should be similar at medium alts which is yaks best alt. 109 is faster higher as it should be.. which is one of the reasons why the luftwaffe were told not to engage yaks below 16,000ft.

yak9d's max speed 373mph at 11,483ft (600 km/h at 3,500 m) 336 mph (540km/h) at sea level.

109f-4 max speed 388mph at21,325ft (625km/h at 6,500m) 334mph (538km/h) at sea level.

so you can see the max speed of 109f-4 is higher only by 15 mph at double the yaks alt. so slower or equal at yaks best max speed alt should the109 be.

the only numbers i can find at the moment came from a book in my personal library entitled

WWII aircraft by christopher chant (isbn#)0-525-700595

now don't get me wrong i do not mean to get people upset. just stating my opinion. but one that is shared by others as well. and the yak is just one aircaft. you guys already know my feelings on spitIX's handling.

14. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

hi biz!
    i dont get your point with the Gs:
    red outs and black outs only depend on the amount of Gs you are getting. and the value doesnt change from plane to plane, since its a property of the human body :)

now if you're getting easy black/red outs, it's because you are getting high Gs (or highly negative Gs). if you are getting high Gs, your plane is turning alot, and therefore is a good turner ;-)

15. HoHun

HoHun FH Beta Tester

Hi Bizerk,

>but the yak series aircraft through time have deminished in thier great qualities. such as climb/turning and regaining speed in level flight. the yak 9d should be on par with the 109f in climb.

Tsagi gives te following data for the Yak-9:

520 km/h @ 0.0 km
    570 km/h @ 2.3 km
    565 km/h @ 2.9 km
    595 km/h @ 4.3 km

16.7 m/s @ 0.0 km
    17.3 m/s @ 3.3 km
    10.5 m/s @ 6.0 km
    05.0 m/s @ 8.1 km

How does that compare to the Freehost Yak-9 with 100% fuel?

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

16. Tacmud

Tacmud Well-Known Member

I'll write u what is wrote in russian archive about single testing and military testing during WW2.

Max speed of Yak9 was 598 Km/h (a little bit slower than 109F4 - 601 Km/h)
    Climb to alt 5 Km take 4,9 min.
    360 degrees horizontal turn 19s

Final report after military testing 10 Yak9 in 728. IAP:

"Yak9 had sharp dominance over all soviet fighters and fighters of enemy too. Was very artful in horizontal and vertical maneuvers and good controllable. In vertical fights reach Yak9 to 109F or G-2 tail after first turn and in hozizontal fights after 3-4 turns."

Comparing Yak9T in NII VVS with 109G-2 and 109G-2/R-6, May 1943:
    To 5000m was performance of 9T better than 109...to 6500m was same and above 6500m was positively 109G-2 better.

Yak9D is same like Yak9 but have 2 extra fuel tanks. With full fuel was very heavy and unskilful and his performance go rapidly down. In a lot of airborn regiments was this 2 extra takns dismantle and then Yak9D was same like Yak9.

17. HoHun

HoHun FH Beta Tester

Hi Tacmud,

What we need are hard numbers on the Freehost planes. This requires some testing, but if you're serious about wanting the Yak-9 improved, that's your chance! :)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

18. weird-

weird- Well-Known Member

hmmm

voting link seems down to me :(

19. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

Re: hmmm

There is no voting.

Bizerk bumped up this 2 year old yak thread from archives.

Anyhow. FMs can't be based on voting, right?

Test Yak-9, compare to data you have.

Little tip when doing tests.
    -100% ammo
    -100% fuel

use .showdata to measure climb and TAS.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2003
  20. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member