wb on Linux Fedora... anybody?

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by ronin, Aug 27, 2006.

1. ronin

ronin Well-Known Member

I know, while back somebody was talking on this topic to have wb runing on Linux. Now my question is are you still here or is anybody else sukcided in runing wb on Linux?
    :help:

2. biles

biles Well-Known Member

49deg 11min 35.97sec N, 122deg 51min 57.65min W
    wb runs just fine in wine, offline. I never tried it online [I don't do IEN].
    I used cedaga.
    FH IP stuff and all that hooey..... i dunno.
    I couldn'tmake it work...
    And some guys who think they know of what they speak of said, nope, uh uh, no way and good luck and such.
    I got depressed and considered sepukku.

3. Jeruwa

Jeruwa Well-Known Member

I tried on Ubuntu with newest Cedega and newest Wine. Will run only in software mode, and it's unplayable anyway.
    I didn't manage to do anything with launcher... maybe it should be installed through wine, and played through cedega... I heard it sometimes helps

4. biles

biles Well-Known Member

OT response, kinda. Sorry:
    Ain't Ubuntu awesome?
    Look for
    OReilly.Ubuntu.Hacks.Tips.and.Tools.for.Exploring.Using.and.Tuning.Linux.Jun.2006.chm
    on yer bit torrent thingie.

5. Jeruwa

Jeruwa Well-Known Member

OT continuation ;)
    yea, it's damn nice, but it poorly uses my intel gma 900 (i915) graphics card... No ET :)

6. biles

biles Well-Known Member

XFree86 3.3.6 and possibly greater, 3.X.X..... is suported.

You prolly have 4.X.X

what is 'ET?'
    sorry.

I find linux best when I have dual boot and windows in one.
    gnu/Linux under X is excellent for all the things I expect of it...
    I try and not be too hopeful about games. Sigh.
    But if it ain't games, I can do it in Linux just fine. Everything I need for doing my work.
    My play is in windows.

7. Jeruwa

Jeruwa Well-Known Member

I have X.org 7.0, piece of shit :)
    ET-enemy territory :)
    I generally have openGL support but everything using GLX extensions crashes.

8. Lesiu

Lesiu Well-Known Member

I was trying to run wb with cedega - and it was not working. Then I experimented with wine - software mode & offline worked fine; however I was unable to connect to FH. Same results with slackware linux, and gentoo.

BTW. Debian & Ubuntu sucks.

9. graatz

graatz Well-Known Member

I have been experimenting with wine, too. Than with vodka. But beer is what works best with WB for me. And it doesnt interfere with FHL in any way.

2 people like this.
  10. biles

biles Well-Known Member

Well, Ubuntoo is pretty easy to set up. Makes a nice intro to nix.
    So is Gentoo...

The first linux packages I got were Slackware. that was in 95. WHAT AN INTRO THAT WAS.
    I sweated blood.

If you can use the CLI, they are all very very similar. I use it a lot and I think it is delightful.

Docs fail me as they are not [usually] written by pros, who know how to explain stuff to the Lowest COmmon Denominator... I know why that is. But it doesn't make the DOCs project any less indigestable...

Show a guy a Man page and see if he has a fit.
    If he has a fit, the Ubuntoo is good.

11. skycpt

skycpt Well-Known Member

I agree biles. Debian and Ubuntu are pretty nice. Though I prefer the KDE desktop over Gnome. Ubuntu is debian based so I guess that helps. I have a debian box and an ubuntu box. The ubuntu was a dream to set up. But the debian wasnt that bad either. Having PCI cards makes a huge difference. I have a lot of older isa cards, nics audio, video, etc. The only one I could get to work was the video ( 640 only ) and the nic. But when I installed PCI it could see them all.

12. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

Yeah Ubuntu ain't bad at all.

Also has good customer support (well yeah, community support really :p)

<Z>

13. biles

biles Well-Known Member

Everything I have ever needed to get working, I got to work. There are no gaps, there is not a thing I cannot do that I wish I could.
    Granted, I can't do a lot of stuff that is written for windows [directx games], but that is why I have windows.
    I can watch movies.
    Listen to music.
    Edit documents.
    The GUI is sufficient for most normal people. Only prperation needed is to buy a copy of Linux For Dummies - or similar.
    I don't think nix was any harder to master than DOS.
    [That statement will make some people have a shit from fear]

Linux can process data.

14. ronin

ronin Well-Known Member

I have Fedora core 1 updated to the latest gadgets on one box that I use for LAMP concept in other words web hosting ( intranet and internet ). Also I use it for development db backed web pages in php ( mainly because it looks alot like C or C++... ). Other machine I use for testing ( from time to time ) the latest versions of Fedora. Currenty it is Fedora Core 5. If I compare it with core 1 it is much easier to install it. And yeah I prefere KDE over GNOME.
    And biles shell nix console is the best way to interact with nix. And nobody should be affraid of trying it since there is plenty of infos on the web.
    :cheers:

15. Jeruwa

Jeruwa Well-Known Member

So, as we went offtopic anyway, Could someone advice me what distro to choose? ;)

My requirements:
    1. Good compatibility with new Intel integrated stuff (915 series) (audio, video - preferably without necessity to recompile kernel with additional modules)
    2. Bearable compatibility with RT2400 cards (it has to work, configuration may be hard)
    3. GNOME or KDE
    4. Most preferably x64 platform. (So stable to be able to freely work on it)
    5. Automatic GRUB/LiLo setup during installation
    6. Package manager (not necassary, but preferable)
    7. Rich repositories

Ubuntu fails #1, #2, #4 (64bit version of it is complete crap - nothing works).
    I heard that newest OpenSuse is piece of shit, is it true?
    I heard same about newest FC :)

16. ronin

ronin Well-Known Member

Not harm done Jeruwa on 'offtopic'. Anyways wb would not be playable on Linux for a while. Hmm... distro. I am sure many of us will say this is beter then that, and we might end up arguing forever, but let me tell you my experience.
    If you go with fedora 5 here are some web sites where you can get it for free. Just you need fast interent connection.
    http://fedora.redhat.com/Download/
    USA:
    ftp://ftp.linux.ncsu.edu/pub/fedora/linux/core/5/i386/iso/
    Europe:
    http://gd.tuwien.ac.at/opsys/linux/fedora/core/5/
    If all this ( but i'm in doubt ) does not work let me know and I will make iso out of my one and put it on my server for download.
    Most of those red hat versions are able to recognize hardware during the istalation, if not, you can always introduce it after instalation.
    GUI KDE at least for me works better. I just hate not to have ctrl+t on desktop to pop up shell console, and some other not to user friendly GNOME features.
    So my advice is forget GNOME.

On FC5 64bit:
    yum install ecore.x86_64
    yum will resolve dependencies for you.
    It will work just fine on fc5 x64.

I haven't experienced any problems with GRUB (multiboot boot loader) during the installation. But why would you do that? Instead you can get one of those cheep used puters everywhere and do clean fc5 one OS installation.

good luck and let us know what did you chose.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2006
  17. biles

biles Well-Known Member

64 bit. shit. sorry. I wasn't thinking.
    Do not buy hardware and then shop for Linux. Match hardware to Linux.

intel 915
    RT22400
    64 bit? Dunno. There is 64 bit Kernal. Go from there.
    Grub Lilo? LOL. Of course!
    Package Manager? Redhat!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Repositories? "The Universe"

Sorry.
    I don't know your box. I don't have your box. Everyone's box is different. Everyone has differing Search Engine Syntax Use skills.
    And not everyone wants to sweat someone else's problems.
    I bet if you went to a LUG, you could find plenty of answers to you specific problems. I don't even know what questions to ask you.

A word:
    Get ye a CD burner and start downloading and burning bootable Linux installation CDs. Download plenty of them. There are plenty.
    This will take time.
    Then, take your time and try each of them out until you find one that fits.
    Depending on your computing skills this may be a long process or a short and easy one. This may even be a stupid looking recommendation.

[I haven't had much luck with 'live' CDs as compatability tests, your results might vary from mine though]

Learn to enjoy checking out different Nix Packages. No. I am serious.
    Seems to me it is a good OS for people with Attention Deficit Disorder [LIKE ME!], becuase there is always gonna be fifteen different things you mean to do.

18. Jeruwa

Jeruwa Well-Known Member

I knew what replies will be, but still I had hope that someone have similar box to say "this works 110%" :)

RT2400 driver at sourceforge is nice, however it often causes hangs on i686/x64 kernels during boot. Unrecoverable without fresh install...

Intel is refering to 810/815 family with Xfree 3.6 and RH 6.. Old, isn't it? ;)

Why I mentioned Grub/Lilo? because for example Ubuntu 64bit does crazy things with partitions... completely wrong numeration during install... (Created hda8 and hda9, installer says it will format hda5 and hda6 - if you fix it to 8,9 - you can say goodbye to your data)

OK. Thx for replies ;)

And other question: What do you think about Gentoo :))

19. biles

biles Well-Known Member

Sorry
    [NOT sarcasm]
    I hope you find some answers and if you do, come back here and tell us so we can be happy.

I have had headaches re linux and have asked on the net and found lots of love.
    [NOT sarcasm]

I bet it all works fine in a year.

:eek:

[Now that my laptop linux box works fine, I AM LEAVING IT THE FUCK ALONE!!!!!! Getting the setup I wanted in this thing was like passing a kidney stone. My home "Games Machine" fuck. It almost set itself up it was so easy]

20. ronin

ronin Well-Known Member

{not sarcasam}
    GOD DAMN IT, Bradley!!!

from DBAP with love