window vista

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by --leo-, Jun 22, 2007.

1. --leo-

--leo- Well-Known Member

hello all can any one tell me, is wbfreehost running under windows vist, wanna bay some new hardware...

thx

2. gandhi

gandhi Well-Known Member

yes

u can always dual boot tho if u want to keep older OS

or use virtual pc

3. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

Are you sure you want to go with Windows Vista though? I'm not at all up to date on what Vista can and cannot do at the moment, but you hear a lot of bad things about it (lack of driver software for many devices, stability problems, tons of security holes, etc.).
    IMO MS products typically need 1 or 2 years to mature enough before they're of any actual use.

4. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

I work on technical service for an ISP, and we sweat when a Windows Vista costumer phones us.
    It acts at will, it has a lot of failures, and sometimes, the only solution is try and try again to make it work: i had one on my hands and to make a Wireless net work i had to press "connect" for 10 times. At 10th try, it just worked. Why not on 1st...? dunno...

My advice is to wait and use XP as long as you can

5. rudeboy

rudeboy Well-Known Member

People upstairs from me got a new box with Vista preloaded. They called me up there to show it off.
    Well, it ran dog slow. I mean REALLY SLOW, like a fuckin 386 SX25. I asked them if I could fiddle and the guy said, "Why? It is new and works fine!"
    Well, I did fiddle and got rid of the fuckin Norton shit and all the crapware that came with it that they do not need. I turned the fancy graphics shit off and those funny things that are all drawn all over the place to 'make a better experience...' It is still dog slow. Like waiting for fuckin paint to dry.
    I dunno if any of their favorite games work on it, as I haven't been up there since.
    Some guy, above, said to not bother. I agree. Wait for at least a year. Microsoft released yet another beta to a paying public and is, again, using it's paying customers to beta test yet another of their half assed products.
    Arseholes.
    If you persist in using a WIndows Box, stick with Windows XP, SP2 or something similar, XP Pro or whatever. And don't worry about being forced to buy a copy, just get a bootlegged and properly cracked one.

6. gandhi

gandhi Well-Known Member

7. gandhi

gandhi Well-Known Member

http://www.codinghorror.com/blog/archives/000778.html

-just find some1 with a dvd and u can hav 'vista ultimate' for 120 days if u really want to mess around with it

u can hav it up to a year if u know how to change registry

i did that for a while but went back to older OS

8. Vadim Maksimenko

Vadim Maksimenko Well-Known Member

This is a known issue, and it has a Registry-tuning solution. Don't remember right now, but you may search over i-net. The keywords are "DHCP failure".

9. Vadim Maksimenko

Don't be so religious. Any other product is even worse shit in first release. The only difference: you don't think "Bill Gates" while using (fucking with) them. I know NO product in the world LESS faulty than M$ products. All of them a pure crap from the scratch. And only time and responsive users may change the things to the better.

1 person likes this.
  10. rudeboy

"...Any other product is even worse shit in first release...."
    Qualify that.
    "...The only difference: you don't think "Bill Gates" while using (fucking with) them...."
    Pardon me, but,uh, could you, uh, articulate yerself a little better?
    The only difference. That is pretty open ended, like writing, "The cat." Or "They went to a."
    "...I know NO product in the world LESS faulty than M$ products...."
    Qualify that.
    "...All of them a pure crap from the scratch...."
    WHAT are???
    "And only time and responsive users may change the things to the better."
    So do it. Be a paying beta tester, you poor dupe.

State your reasons why the guy should use or not use vista, don't attack my stance. I answered him with my opinion. So stfu already, okay?

11. gandhi

gandhi Well-Known Member

rudebody is exec

12. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

Say no more, I hear ya.

13. Fucketeer

Fucketeer Banned

HAHA! :)

Or rudeboy is a chameleon.

14. Helrza

Helrza Well-Known Member

From what ive been told by 2 players in MA a few weeks back (cant remember thier names sorry), freehost will work on vista, but keyboard doesnt work with it. So if u can fly without keyboard, your in luck lol :D

probly runs like shit because they didnt build it themselves. Id like to see it run on a home made puter with all the latest parts and a fresh "untouched" version of vista, i bet it would be hectik.

But for the purpose of playing this game.... ill stick with xp :turret: :joystick:

15. rudeboy

Yeah.
    There is a sticker on it says, "Built For Windows Vista!"
    Big deal.

It is like saying, "E-Station Data Processing POWER POWER POWER with "Enviro Green"
    "It sells the most."
    "Enviro!"
    "Green!"
    "Rainforest!"
    "Save MONEY!"
    "No animals were harmed during the making of this computer"
    "Dolphin Friendly"

Last edited: Jun 24, 2007
  16. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

No, no DHCP failure. Nothing was changed. Just had to try 10 times instead 9.

And that has nothing to do with DHCP. It's just the crappy Vista

17. rudeboy

Once they have a Vista SP2 it'll all be fine, now goto bed, dears.

18. Vadim Maksimenko

Just connect to www.frsirt.com and type in a search box a name of any popular software product. Enjoy the results.

19. Vadim Maksimenko

Have you checked DHCP traffic to claim that? I have had experience to deal with several unix-lovers that claimed Windows to be a shit and that they were doing all OK... Just to discover lately that they have misconfigured something in their beloved unix.

When I was writing about DHCP, you could just follow the reference to discover that the issue was Vista DHCP client problem. But you never read, you just start the flame, right? ;)

1 person likes this.
  20. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

In my experience using vista to run this game, the keyboard does not work as stated by others.

The dual boot feature seems the most logical choice.

I have to use vista so far due to work considerations. I will try the dual boot system in another computer. Right now I have worked with a machine that has Win98SE and Ubuntu and it seems to work fine.

Im my own limited experiences, the newest MS product I would trust would be Win2000pro with SP3 using FAT32 and NOT NTFS.

If you must run vista, then get the fastest cpu you can afford and get 2 gig ram and the fastest video card.
    vista has a lot of overhead and you need those updated, so get a LEGAL copy.
    Yes,throw away that Norton security issue.
    Regarding security:
    The best security software that I tried is Bitdefender.
    It uses a Linux partition and though it takes some overhear using the max security settings I have found it to be the best of all the big named products and it has protected my portable in European, Asian and South American wireless unsecured networks.

That's all I can share with you so far.
    Get all the info you can from all the sources you can before spending your money.
    Good Luck