XP, SCSI, drives and warbirds freehost

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by rudeboy, Sep 21, 2009.

1. rudeboy

rudeboy Well-Known Member

The good computer I got before christmas, had vista and it wouldn't run XP, the install disk didn't see the hard drive, no sata drivers.
    I didn't have a floppy drive, who the hell does these days? XP for some reason treated USB thumbs in funny ways, and portable drives and usb cd machines also. fuckfuckfuck. It would only look for drivers on an 'A\' drive. fuckfuckfuck.
    The drivers needed to be inside a cab file in the install cd.......... or, exterior, on a floppy.
    they weren't though.
    I couldn't figure out how to get the hard drive detected. SO the XP sat and waited while I worked out how to tell it that there is a hard drive in this computer.
    Guess what?
    XP is now in this thing, works fine and it WILL DEFINITELY run wbfh.
    Someone tell me there are more than two players left in fh.........

I will set it up over the next few days. I will come and fly. Be there on friday, you fuckers.

2. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

eh?

3. rudeboy

errrrrm.
    [edited]
    I insulted exec, so I took that shit out of this post.
    Now there is no insult in this post.
    And no post.....

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  4. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

well, i entered active development only in 1.67/1.672, long after scorepages crashed. before 1.67 i was only consulting fhl developers while grabbing and storing any dev-tool i could reach.

as for me, i haven't lost any wb-development file i obtained since 1999. the question which files i obtained and when.
    there were other people in charge with scorepages who probably already explained why pages stuck.

"eh?" i would post anything shorter, actually i intended to post only quote.
    but forum engine required at least 2 letters.

so, you gonna visit this air again? cool :cheers:

5. rudeboy

I shortened my response. I am sorry.

I use Linux and I have, after getting comfortable with it, began to notice that there is a lot less bullshit handed out by software developers in the nix world. They don't worry about selling anything [bullshitting].
    I can find answers to my questions.
    With MS, there is always some running dog who who wants something from me.
    I like games. I hate windows
    :joystick:..............:duel:

[no, not Xwindows, I mean MSwindows].

Last edited: Sep 21, 2009
  6. rudeboy

I need some cockpit art. I don't need links to nothing. There are links to sites that host cockpit art where there is a lot of, mostly, nothing. Snoopy plane is shitty with f4f cockpit art.... The ones listed on front page of this site, for excample. ALmost all of the stuff I looked over was a lot of nothing..... those ones that are red.
    Anyone wanna tell me where a guy can find real cockpit art and not nothing cockpit art?

7. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

8. joseh-

joseh- Well-Known Member

9. rudeboy

exec and joseh:
    TY!!!!!

10. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

Well... even if I'm a day late and a dollar short as they say out west ....

...I'm throwing my two cents in:

RE: xp and not finding hard drive etc...

I remember there were things one had to do to the bios in order to get those stupid instalation discs to work... maybe that could help?

Also there is a vague memory of some kind of special cable needed for the fancy new IDE disc drives, that funny looking cable with extra wires. can't recall if it was EIDE.SATA, or super SATA.

Then of course there is the little jumper for slave/master/cable select on the hard drive. Quantum discs used those extra tiny jumpers.

Any case I think it's funny that in Linux and the like one must "mount and unmount" the hard drive/floppy drive/cd rom drive....

It will be great to see you back playing..... :cheers:

11. rudeboy

I sent a PM, which wasn't a PM, it was here, as a reply. I am sorry.
    A rant anyway, so I changed my mind and didn't send it.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  12. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

Sometimes I think you're a bit exaggerating with all these flash plugins trying to nuke your 'puter etc.

I do agree that the SCSI/RAID drivers issue is a pain, even more so in a laptop without floppies, even more when you reinstall your windows system every time you have a problem with some software, when you do it while you're abroad in Italy, without an internet connection, and to nail it down:

you didn't take the already modified at home version of the windows XP install CD with you, and you're even more of an ass because you forgot how you got that windows installed in the first place

duh, friends and family, you can't pick those :p
    ('twas my friend dumbasses, my windows hasn't been reinstalled in over 2 years and now takes about 137387645 minutes to boot...
    all because of those pirated programs my university makes me install in order to be able to do my lab assignments, yay!)

13. rudeboy

/
    /
    |
    |
    |------hehehehe. Hahaha. SOme friends and family read browser text in 'plain text' format, eh? Looooooool

Nothing was nuked. But I am always aware of malware and the enticements put forth for a user to click on the 'okay' button.
    I can look at flash video anytime. There are lots of ways, it isn't like I am forced to reinstall flash 10 when I already have flash 10 installed and usually working, is it?
    In the end, the flash thing was because the sandbox I use for internet browsing had a sandboxed flash 10, but the browser I clicked from my desktop did not see any plugin and asked for an install. All is well.

14. reuben

reuben Well-Known Member

15. reuben

reuben Well-Known Member

a) will be great seeing you again!
    b) a newer lap should be able to boot from an USBdrive, else u need extort it a bit in BIOS to teach it the errors of its way ;)
    c) welcome back :)

16. rudeboy

b) I don't think MSwindows img will boot from an a thumbdrive. Maybe that vanilla one for preinstall, WindowsPE? could allow it. I don't know. Taking apart the MSWindowsinstall iso file sourced from the cd editing the iso img and sticking in the drivers I would need so that the booted CD based system could find find a drive, any drive.....
    Uh
    Making sure I sent them to the new, soon-to-be-remastered system soon to be imged to the cd, remastered, eh?, Sent home in a cab!
    [Hehehehehe]
    Then squish the folders back into some some sort of, um, img thingie. You know, the iso, the raw. I solved my problem. And the only large work I had to do was figuring out what questions I had to ask.
    If you don't ask, you will have to figure things out yourself.
    I did some, and I asked some. I worked out out.
    Now, maybe someday I can make another custom system installer.
    Nice I learned who do do some cool and useful things.

I wonder if I should, next time a car driver neglects to notice me, just ignore him and get hit and make some money so I could buy a could Macinstosh computers. And never have to worry about any of this stuff, I could then, retire to my bed.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2009
  17. reuben

reuben Well-Known Member

'old tigers do not reassess'

or sth like that :)
    I have got one of those minilaptops. u know, W SDD instead of HDD, pretty nice macine that is small.
    You CAN boot win from a USB drive, but u might need to tweak the usb thingy.
    I learnt how by googlin "usb boot linux/win"
    lots of good stuff on teh interwebs, as long as u get by the prn. It took me 6 months to get by the prn, but now I know ;)

GL, man. I miss u.