P38

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by demian, Sep 13, 2010.

1. demian

demian Well-Known Member

2. demian

demian Well-Known Member

Antred is right. Fas made some changes to p38F ( not released yet) but still
    with only 50 % fuel 38F is not able to climb at 170mph speed.
    Not even J and L can climb at 170mph with 50 % fuel.

3. demian

demian Well-Known Member

Modified P38F 50 % fuel using auto trim speed 170

100m- 6km about 7.5min

4. mumble

mumble Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010
  5. demian

demian Well-Known Member

" The next F-version was the P-38F-1-LO (Model 222-60-15), which differed from the P-38F-LO in being modified after delivery to carry a pair of drop tanks or a pair of 1000-lb bombs under the wing center sections. Each rack could also carry a Smoke Curtain Installation or a 22-inch torpedo."

6. demian

demian Well-Known Member

7. demian

demian Well-Known Member

We could simply put mark P38F and use data for any model , like i suppose is done with Yak3.

8. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

[​IMG]

today mode responsive than when? FM cannot change without FHL change

9. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

I would like someday to see the P-38G Lightning be added to the list. It's performances were much better than the F variant.

Production:
    P-38F 638
    P-38G 1,082

http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-38/p-38.html
    ARMY AIR FORCES PROVING GROUND COMMAND
    EGLIN FIELD, FLORIDA

SUPPLEMENTARY REPORT
    ON
    TACTICAL SUITABILITY OF THE P-38G TYPE AIRPLANE
    AS COMPARED TO THE P-38F
    3 May 1943

Conclusions

a. All conclusions and recommendations applying to the P-38F, apply to the P-38G.

b. Inasmuch as the general maneuverability of this aircraft is probably the lowest of any type of current fighter aircraft, and in view of the competition facing the P-38G in the European Theatre, all possible effort should be made to improve its rate of climb and high speed.

c. The P-38G turns much better than the P-38F (will close 180° in 360° circle) due to maneuver flaps.

d. Buffeting was noticeable but at higher speeds and accelerations than in the P-38F.

e. The P-38G will outzoom the P-38F.

f. The P-38G will hold its altitude in turns at thirty-five-thousand (35,000) feet, whereas the P-38F loses altitude.

g. The P-38G holds its advantages over the P-38F at all altitudes.

[​IMG]

In the above information, 3,000 RPM is 100% throttle position.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2010
  10. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

p-38j in current rps appears at p-38h date because of the same engine.

11. mumble

mumble Well-Known Member

FU to combatsim.com, and since when did the way the server physics are applied to a plane become client end? Something is either very different or I developed new flying skills within 3 flights. :confused:

12. gil---

gil--- FH Beta Tester

I already suggested to make P-38G instead of P-38F. Now we have strange hybrid with some parameters form F, some from G, and with maneuver flaps. If i had to choose between correct all to F ver (including date) or to G, i think nice p-38G in early 43 is better than poor F (without maneuver flaps even) in 1942.

13. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

One thing I've also noticed. In WB, the P-38 aircraft respond differently at certain conditions.
    One which is interesting is that while a person has auto trim on, if you turn it off, watch what the plane does. The F and J models start to nose down and sink, the L model starts to raise it's nose. I've read documentation that the Lightnings had a natural tendency to want to raise/climb without controller input.

Also, what's kind of odd, and should be corrected, is that the F & J models with auto trim turned off will not only start nose down, but will also start rolling to the left. The L model will not only raise nose up, but also will start to roll to the right. Interesting considering these aircraft have counter-rotating props.

Another thing, has anyone noticed how the WEP in the RED zone on the tachometer won't travel to the full extent as higher altitudes are reached?

Should also note: Not sure if this is a beta error but, the P-38 Lightning is the only aircraft which when you airstart in the TA, will begin flight going into a nose dive. Only the Lightnings are doing this. Maybe this behavior would explain some of the performance issues with the Lightnings.

It isn't autopilot either, it's auto-trim for this simulator. This function is the same for ALL other aircraft, but not for the P-38?

Aerodynamics are to be the same for all aircraft. It's a matter of control surfaces. And auto-pilot didn't control trims.

Auto-pilot: Invention of Lawrence Sperry, USA

I do recall you mentioning that. And check this out, start at 25% throttle....compare any other similar aircraft, multi-engined, large, heavy, loaded with ordinance, etc to the P-38 with 20% fuel, no ammo, you'll notice the P-38 starts to lose alt right away, even after auto-trim pulls it back up. And what's more ridiculous, is that while it is losing alt, going nose down, it picks up speed, and this is over 200 mph IAS.

Consider this: When climbing, 200 MPH IAS is actually a good climb speed which will yield about 20,000 ft in less than 10 minutes. Tell me that isn't messed up. Thrust, wind drag, coefficients, weight distribution are all off in my opinion. If the current P-38 was tied to another aircraft and dragged as a glider, it would probably drag on the ground like a rock. It's almost like the P-38 is creating it's only lift for the wings when the engine runs. Always bugged me when I would dive to deck, and once there, it felt like I was dragging a chute, and when gliding home, engines off, losing alt was quick.

I'm conducting speed tests and researching online information, and will present valid data for examples.

Actually, yes. That does happen. Near 500mph visually everything starts to vibrate as well as the aircraft, and at .68 mach, (504 mph/812kmh) it's not too far away from where a P-38 starts to break apart in the game. It didn't in real life though, it just would compress badly. A person needs at least 10,000 ft to achieve over 500 mph.

Wingload/surface area of the P-38 is actually pretty good compared to some. Similar to the Mosquito? It's faster than the 38 in game.

14. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

BTW: Does the P-38 still have that P-factor when taking off?

I remember I had to always put in opposite rudder when I opened the throttles wide from a standing start on take-off.

this happens on all other twin engines but should not be the case in the P-38.

At least not in any of the P-38s not given to the British.

(I believe the Brits specified non counter rotating props and were not given the turbo supercharged engines either...)

15. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

I thought that was a problem on my end, having to correct trajectory when taxiing down the runway after starting the engines. Seems like stopped happening one day. :confused: With counter-rotating props, there should be zero torque effect with both engines running in all situations.

16. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

I would rather have an accurate P-38F-15LO arrive when available during WWII, middle/late 1942. If the speeds and performances are correct, the F variant will still be a substantial asset.

17. demian

demian Well-Known Member

I prefer that option too , cause i want to have Alw and Antred as soon as possible in the game..Some people like P38 and imho should have at least 1 model as soon as possible.

18. demian

demian Well-Known Member

I also noticed that element pronounced especially in P38L. Like its stall speed is 200mph.

As for elevator , my P38L after min or two of level flight, wont go up at all without trim key.

19. demian

demian Well-Known Member

20. Higgns

Higgns Well-Known Member

Leading a flight of 4, McGuire spotted a lone "Zero" low over the jungle of Negros Island. He had always preached never to get low, slow and heavy with the P-38, but this time he didn't let go his drop tanks. He saw the "Zero" as an easy kill, and with it and one more he would tie Bong. He made the fatal decision to keep his tanks, make the bounce, and continue the hunt.

Unfortunately for McGuire, the pilot he attacked was NAP 1/c Soichi Sugita, at that time the top-scoring surviving IJN ace with 80-odd kills scored over Rabaul, a master at the controls of a "Zero". In the ensuing fight, Sugita managed to shoot down one of McGuire's wingmen, and severely damage the other two. He then went after McGuire. Low over the jungle, heavy with fuel, McGuire stalled out trying to get away from Sugita and crashed to his death, a pointed example of the dark side of the lust for fame and glory.