P38

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by demian, Sep 13, 2010.

1. mumble

mumble Well-Known Member

McGuire ended up with hung stores. One of the fuel tanks did not release.

2. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

And the point you're making is ... ?

3. mumble

mumble Well-Known Member

Higgns is pro-porked P-38. He was trying to say that the P-38 sucked when it came to maneuverability. In reality, it was pretty awesome. The only thing that really got McGuire was unchecked aggression and the hung drop tank I mentioned earlier, causing asymmetric loading and McGuire's demise, as he was committed to the fight at that point.

4. demian

demian Well-Known Member

This is why we have here guys like Gandhi , Gil etc.
    Imho we dont need those books, if someone knows what type of wing some plane had, and what that type of wing does, those guys could calculate for us.
    What we need is to hear from pilots of specific airplanes in arena, what they think.
    Mumbl, dont even start with 110. We had problems with it in 1.66, 110 is one of those planes that can possibly start ww3 on forum. A lot of people in arena very much like 110, until they say something for it, forget it. That was one of planes Fas worked on a lot after 1.67, so we could try to trust him , at least until some 110lover says anything against new model.

5. Red Ant

That's what I suspected, but I wanted to hear it from his mouth. Anyway, if that is the point he's trying to make then the text he quoted hardly proves anything. I could probably find some article about a very one-sided engagement between American and Japanese fighters and then use that to draw the conclusion that no Japanese fighter stood a chance against any American plane. :dura:

6. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

Captain McGuire wrote the book on the P38 he is responsible for helping a lot of pilots not only survive but kick major butt.

The tragedy is that in the race to be the highest scoring ace his ego got in the way.

He did not follow his own book. Consumed by his desire to beat Bong's score and knowing that Bong was sent to the states for war bond drives he needed to take every opportunity for a kill.

He fell for the trap that Japan's top ace had set. Their destination was to another island and seeing the lone aircraft down low he impulsively jumped at what he thought was going to be an easy victory.

At 24 he was on top of his game. Unfortunately, in that game one slip usually means death.

:rose:

7. looseleaf

They are calculating approximations of a game flight simulation at certain points based on a limited number of facts and also approximations too.

This "evidence" is hardly the stuff the admins should use to modify their FMs.

8. demian

demian Well-Known Member

What do you think admins should use to modify fm?
    If you know wing type, engine size, power, weight load, pilot weight what do u need more? Saburo Sakai's book:cool: ?

9. Red Ant

I think it's a bit more complex than that. If that was all there was to it, then everyone could be a successful aeronautical engineer. There are probably many more variables that also play into it. Wing loading and power loading alone may be enough to give you a rough idea of what a specific airplane should be capable of, but no more than that (IMHO).

10. demian

demian Well-Known Member

Probably could, just need to learn all those equations ...But your right, prolly there are many parameters more to it..Still, that is an exact science. Not something paranormal.
    There is another way though. Finding good fm and then comparing to it.
    I remember that one of problems for changing airplanes was just that- nobody knew which model is good to start with:)
    I believe Fas is having good idea about changing planes in pairs. Something like changing spit V along with 109 F4... sounds good to me.

11. gandhi

gandhi Well-Known Member

Ant, it's very difficult to describe what a FM ought to look like, but it's actually pretty easy to show what it shouldn't be. So I've been "boxing in" the FMs, using proven physics to show when things cannot be the case, or when one aircraft enjoys an unwarranted advantage over another.

For example, I've measured how much the Yak3 accelerated on takeoff to calculate the "net" horsepower of the engine. It peaked at 686 HP, the amount that was left over after rolling resistance, drag, propeller losses, etc. Right now I don't have a good way of accounting for those losses. But if the "net" HP had been close to or more than 1600, I could say with certainty that there is a problem, in spite of the unknowns.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2010
  12. looseleaf

13. Higgns

Higgns Well-Known Member

I threw that story in hoping we don't turn the P38 into a world beater like the la5fn was.

Remember that 4 P38 jumped a lone zero and two were lost and 2 were shot up.

I think many plane's reputation owe a lot to pilot quality as well as quantity certain stages of the war so we should pay more attention to data than kill/losses.

It was a good plane and did many things better than other planes just as other planes did certain particular things better than the P38.

If the FM is porked, then it should be fixed.

Hell.....I'll fly it this weekend if that that will remove the need for vagisil.

14. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

It's pretty obvious the group was not working together very well. A couple Wildcats would have had him in no time. Double scissor, boom.

You flying the P-38? Anybody can fly the P-38...making it a killer is another thing.

15. looseleaf

That was the real problem:

A super (over) confidant leader making a mistake and the others following him and not following the book.

It the other leader had said NO, My element will stay high and cover as this is EXACTLY what we are trained NOT TO DO.

The biggest disaster back a few years if you remember the two 747 crashing

in the Canary Islands (my friends mother was killed there).

The hot-shot Dutch pilot said to take-off and the cabin crew reluctantly followed, voiced their protest but went along with it despite the tower saying not to take-off.

That incident got some people to start teaching cockpit management training.

Any case, what happened to McGuire had nothing to do with the flight model of the P38.

They knew the characteristics of plane well, they did not follow the rule book.

I am sure the survivors did not call Kelly Johnson and say "Hey devs, these flap calculations are wrong, my computer modeling program my teacher showed me yesterday says the P38 is porked" .

:D

16. Red Ant

Oh, I believe you. You obviously know a bit (okay, a lot) more about this stuff than I do, and I wouldn't challenge your maths / physics on this matter. Just pointing out that, in general, there's more to an aircraft's performance than wing / power loading.

17. demian

demian Well-Known Member

Yes, there is, especially if ur born in specific country and read specific books:rolleyes:

18. Red Ant

Stop making vague, snappish remarks and just say what you mean. I'm a poor mind reader. :p

19. demian

demian Well-Known Member

Lol allpay:)

Im just saying we need to find balance between- P38 was the best airplane in the world and -P38 the worst ever fighter..

20. Red Ant

I don't think you'd ever hear me claim that the Lightning was the best fighter in the world. Note that I haven't really been asking for a P-38 performance boost at all, because measured by its opposition in War Birds (190, 109, Ki-84, etc.), the P-38 as it exists in this game actually performs quite well. I could do without the nose-heaviness I mentioned, but when it comes to speed, acceleration, climb rate and general handling of the aircraft, the P-38 performs about as I would expect it to. :)

(And it's tightest sustainable turn with full flaps is actually a bit better than I would expect ... as Kopi once showed, the P-38F can fly a tighter turn than the 109F ... I'm not sure if it could have done that in real life.)