The Guitar Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic International' started by Jacobe, Jul 26, 2005.

1. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

2. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

Whaaaaat ????? Martin don't count anymore for acoustics???

I figured you'd be a Seagull man there Mac....

Well Sir, I'm just a student and don't know much.. a long while ago I did some comparative shopping as this po' lil white boy couldn't afford much in the guitar department. I looked around and decided the best bang for my guitar buck was a Yamaha ET-21 with steel strings. Everybody told me DO NOT use steel strings as your first guitar. I didn't give a shit. I wanted to hear that "steel string acoustic sound". I could be a shit player, and I the best I could be will always be a shit player. However no matter how bad, it's always "that" sound... even going up and down the scale sounds good to me....

Didn't even mind the blisters.........

to paraphrase Bullet, he said it best: "... just sample a whole bunch and the right one will talk to you....."

3. Rainer

Rainer Well-Known Member

I will attest to this. Back in the day I was in the market for a new acoustic and Takamine was just starting to get hot. Like you, I played 4 or 5 of the same make/model for about 90 minutes at a shop one day. Settled on one that felt and sounded like a completely different BRAND than the others.

Unlike you, however, I didn't buy. I should never have shopped when I couldn't afford to purchase. By the time I could afford it, it was gone. Have yet to replicate the feel/sound of that particular guitar.

4. Jacobe

Jacobe Well-Known Member

great

5. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

Martins. Taylors and Guilds are sweet guitars but costs a pretty penny. Yamaha makes excellent guitars Loose :)

@rainer, Some times shopping is fun just to play the guitars, it can be hard to walk away from something you like very much, but there will always be another nice guitar that comes along that you will end up with just keep searching :) <S>

6. Rainer

Rainer Well-Known Member

Bullet: First guitar I ever owned is either a near perfect Martin D28 replica or one of their kits you used to be able to buy and build from 'reject' parts. The action is excellent, looks and feels just like a D28, but the tone is a dead giveaway. I've had it for almost 30 years now, but just can't convince myself that I'll do a good job adding electronics to it. Won't pay to have it done either, as I really don't play all that often anymore. I pull out the Ovation Legend and plug in for those times my older son actually wants to play, which isn't very often. I blame Guitar Hero.

7. Higgns

Higgns Well-Known Member

regardless of which guitar I pick up first, I always end up playing a relatively inexpensive yamaha classical once owned by danny gatton.

8. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Kid rock

I hate that song. Which doesn't matter. Watch the vid, the kid likes the song.

9. looseleaf

10. Jacobe

Jacobe Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Off Topic: A painting of Jaakko Hosia, my mentor and friend. He deceased over 5 years ago at age of 62 afair...

Last edited: Feb 26, 2011
  11. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

I don't play much now, but when I do I normally play a rather cheap Spanish classical, even with fat nylon strings (and I used to be a real strat-with-ultra-light, play-as-fast-as-possible type).

Sometimes I dream about buying a Portuguese fado type guitar. Think Amalia Rodrigues :) Love that stuff. Would like to retire to a smoky bar and just play that stuff, haha

Drinking a few bottles of dark red wine and smoking lots of cigarettes. (Please, why has that joy been taken from us all?!)

Then Wim Wenders did Lisbon Story. That film made me like Europe again, haha! :) Wenders is great!

12. looseleaf

Dammm.... that was GREAT! ALL Wim Wenders are not to be missed.

All I remember is "The American Friend" with Dennis Hopper and "Until the End of the World.

But that video reminds me of the films "Andalusian Dog " and "End of the Game"

Ah..... but to retire to a small cafe'-bar in some corner of the world where guitar and espresso never stops....

:alc:

13. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Last edited: Mar 9, 2011
  14. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

15. Jacobe

Jacobe Well-Known Member

16. Jacobe

Jacobe Well-Known Member

Surfing with A Alien

Havin' fun with guit and a band..rock or what that is? Joe tought S. Vai to play guitar when S. was young.

17. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

18. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

19. Jacobe

Jacobe Well-Known Member

Really? :shuffle: Surfing and dogfighting? ;)

Well here's not a thing for dogfighting but for cat vs. dog fight!

The cat is from Australia afaik..

20. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

yech

Last edited: Mar 17, 2011