168 Wish list.....

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by -ALW-, Sep 18, 2010.

1. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Two things regarding field spawning:

1: Bomb craters: Would be nice to change the affect bomb craters have on aircraft. I know it's realistic that taxiing over a crater would tear out your landing gear and/or cause your plane to crash but, when spawning on a field and the spawn location is over a bomb crater, you die instantly in a PK which obviously wipes out a fighter or bomber streak for one, and then puts a major time restrict blocking you from taking off again from that field. That just isn't fair from a realistic standpoint.

2: Spawn location choices.
    Would it be possible to choose which end of the field to take off from? Like typing out .fly 1, 2, 3, 4, or N, NE, E, SE, etc? It's always random and it would be nice to be able to choose which direction to take off from. Most of us who plan bombing missions would appreciate that. The other thing that is annoying is the large ETO map spawn locations are not even on the runway. A person has to either taxi down to one end and take off or, dodge buildings or other things on the field to avoid a crash/death. Also, the small fields are difficult to make out since there are no contrasting colors to determine where you are on the field when taking off or landing to avoid a tip-over crash/death.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2011
  2. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

1. respawn/runway cratering was an issue actively blamed by players and we eliminated it.

2. respawns are feature of terrain. we can look whether server can randomise the position. but this issue is minor, imho.

3. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

When was the cratering on the runway remedied? I could swear I spawned into a crater this past month and died from that.

I know the spawning thing isn't a big issue but, thought I'd throw the idea out and see if it would be easy/simple to implement.

4. Jacobe

Jacobe Well-Known Member

why not spawn every new plane heading to take off sometime into a hangar? :p

5. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

well, little craters are removed from "cratering". 100kg and more still could have trap you, imho.

6. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Concerning bombers carrying external bombs or even those with bomb bays/doors.

Could it be added to the damage model of bombers that if the area where the bombs are at or where the bomb bay is, that an attacking fighter could shoot in this area and cause an explosion due to igniting bombs stored inside or attached to the aircraft? :mafia:

7. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

Interesting point, yet I'm not sure in real life how many bombers blew-up in mid-air due to enemy fighter aircraft scoring direct hits on the bomb cargo.

I would think that it takes a substantial amount of energy to penetrate the bomb casing.

Further it would require a near perpendicular strike to the bomb case being round would tend to deflect the projectiles.

Most mid air explosions were caused by hitting the fuel tanks.

I spoke to a B-26 pilot (Martin B-26) who flew them in Europe and over Germany.

One flight he received a direct hit into the bomb bays by an 88 ack gun.

Didn't do a thing, he didn't know it until after he landed and the crew chief asked him to come to the hangar and see.

The 88 round bounced in between the bombs, smashed the bomb rack fractured into a million pieces and made a bunch of holes in the main fuel tank, yet with self sealing tanks no leaks.

Made a perfectly round hole in between the two bomb bay doors.

He wondered why after the plane shook violently from the ack that his two closest following aircraft (he was flight leader) pulled away and stay far from him for the rest of the mission... ha ha ha. he laughed even when he told me this story, some 40 years later...

This guy was one real lucky pilot. Later leading another mission he went head-on with a Me-163.

He saw the contrail going straight up in front of him, thinking it was a missile.

the "missile" leveled off at his alt. and headed straight for him.

The Me-163 fired one canon round and then dove back to the ground, out of sight.

The round exploded just to the port side of the cockpit caving-in the armor plating into his seat.

The whole event from seeing the contrail to the blast took only a few seconds.

It was a shocking experience to see something flying that fast.

He flew the rest of the mission leaned way over the center console.

There was no engine nor prop damage. "Very Lucky" he said.

Very good Me 163 pilot also.

Sorry to digress.... but I don't see the point of making the bombs explosive to the air to air ordnance. With enough direct hits to the fuel tanks, it should get the same effect...

IMHO....

8. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Wow, interesting story :)

9. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Couple other things I thought of today.....

1. Make jeepacks/tanks steerable with rudder action.
    2. Allow ability to kill acks on destroyer ships when a bomb strikes the vessel.

10. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

they are
    .plane 85
    .fly
    at TA

the problem is grounded ackstars: players roll B-17/24 on the taxi and shoot attackers without taking-off. so IEN just switched off otto manual and automatic control on the ground.

therefore you cannot shoot from jeep/tank while rolling.

solution found by -aike- so far is to invite player to vehicle as a turretman, while vehicle is levitated over the ground by server.

it actually happens.

but the problem is dm, anyway. one day i tried to finish cv by strafing the last ack i identified visually :(

11. mumble

mumble Well-Known Member

Guns don't work on CV anymore to fix abuse of Beef-110 30mm. WTG TGR! :shuffle:

To clarify, the jeep/tank is currently modeled as hovering above the ground a good distance to facilitate firing? If so, then no wonder you can't kill it with heavy guns! :turret:

12. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

you can, but jeep will kill you earlier.
    tank probably ignore 12.7-20

13. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

I can shoot while the jeepack/hmack is moving. :dunno:

14. looseleaf

speaking of Jeeps and tanks:

Could we have steering movement done by the W-A-S-D keys

and aiming and shooting by joy/mouse/trackball or other right hand keys?

that driving by typing compass command has always sucked IMHO.

15. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

bind macros W=.hmack -10, D=.hmack +10, S=.hmack stop ?

16. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

Surely LL is smart enough to figure this out by himself.

Or is he?

17. Jacobe

Jacobe Well-Known Member

LL is able!!

If you're not dear LL, just ask me , I'll give you the answer ASAP.

Btw, tanks move 3 times faster when you move them with .hmack xxx command, which is .....kinda..... great... :)

18. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Really?
    I have similar set for maneuver of hmack. I haven't noticed any difference. I don't mean there is no difference, I mean I haven't noticed it.
    I would like to have otto in those hmacks, so I can just drive the things and let my death-ray do it's work.

19. looseleaf

No, I am not......:)

20. looseleaf

I guess some day I will have to read the manual !

Thanks !