Flight Models

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by j-bird, Sep 26, 2006.

1. j-bird

j-bird Member

Did you guys just hack Ien's Warbirds or did you get hold of the
    source code ? I've always wondered how they came up with their
    flight models. I'm pretty sure they did'nt have access to all the
    planes to determine their maneauverablility.
    Turn rates and maneauverability are largely dependent on
    wing loading is'nt it ? I realize some wing types have better
    lift coefficients than others and that must factor in.
    I've never seen a contridiction between a planes reputation
    as 'agile' or 'maneauverable' and it's wing loading. I mean you just
    gotta go with something.
    Speed is just a factor of engine horsepower and drag area.
    Speed is probably the best documented of all these aircraft
    characteristics.
    Damage should be a factor of weight or mass should'nt it ?
    The more there is the more it takes to destroy. Heavy planes
    should take more damage. They will have higher wing loading
    and be less maneauverble. Hey ! Ain't that what happens in
    the real world ?
    J-bird

2. --stec

--stec Well-Known Member

No

:p

Heavier doesn't necessarily mean more durable. Durability depends on many factors. Materials used (canvas, different metal alloys) and construction are important (zeke was very light but thanks to some innovations in construction its airframe was able to sustain higher G's and propably damage than many heavier planes; il2 was a heavy plane but because of wooden tail section and outer parts of the wings was VERY prone to damage etc) Armoring of plane's vital areas is important, placement of fuel and oil tanks, radiators etc plays very big role and so on. Radial engines can take a lot of punishment (documented case of p47 rtb'd with 2 pistons shot off) and are less vulnerable to overheating, then the inline engine can be easily killed by 1 lucky rifle-cal bullet (wasn't Finnucane downed by a german grunt with Mp40 while strafing?).

Maneuverability is not only turning. It's also roll rate, responsiveness to steering at different speeds, acceleration and energy retention, handling and forces on the stick. I propably missed even more.

Also turning rate is not only about wing. It's also about most of mentioned above. Zeke may be extremely maneuverable at low speeds but at high speed its huge control surfaces compress and it will lose angles in turn against most USAAF heavy fighters. With higher power to weight ratio plane will better keep speed in turning - in sustained turn it's important too.

3. j-bird

j-bird Member

What you say is true. But the Zero should certainly take less
    battle damage than say the F6F or P-47. I note they are all
    a lot heavier. What I'm saying is, there has to be some rational
    for assigning these damage numbers. Looking thru a list of fighters
    I notice the heavier, the more of a reputation for taking damage
    they had. P-47 in particular. I've met 2 P-47 pilots. One
    still flies it in Sevierville, Tennessee. They both swear to the
    strength of the P-47.
    All fighters were designed to be as strong and light as possible.
    Greater weight means greater strength by inference.
    How many half inch holes does it take to render a plane unflyable ?
    (Well for the Zero ...One in the back of the pilot, but that comes
    under the 'critical hit' category eh ?)
    Again...I'm talking about Non critical hit battle damage. Just holes
    in non control surfaces.
    If you have to assign a numerical value to a plane's ability to
    sustain damage. I can think of no lighter plane that should have
    higher values than any heavier plane. Use the F6F as base, and
    keep it proportional to it.
    Engine hits are what i call critical too. I realise inline were more
    'delicate' than radial engines. Hmmm I was just thinking...seems
    like my radial engines get knocked out just as fast as my radial
    engine in FH ? Awful hard to check this stuff out ain't it ?
    This stuff has'nt bitten me like a bug in the butt....
    I've been thinking about goin' back to school, and take some
    aerodynamics classes just to program better flight sims !

4. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

why? all-metal construction even when yankies made fabric ailerons.
    the only difference is: absence of armour back for pilot and self-leaking fuel tanks.
    dunno wether neutral gas filling was used for A6M and F6F.
    A6M should be more durable than for example Yak.

that's a hypothesis.

engines are equal in durability. liquid cooling system IS more delicate (in comparison of invincibility of absent cooling system).

5. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

I see beating a dead horse again. got news for ya, he's dead! no matter what you do he won't work/go/FH developers. What needs to be fixed here is get rid of the attach command so the morons won't tell/relay thier friends on the other side where and what alt and direction you are going. that is total BS and should be fixed emediately!! The attach command was meant to training purposes and thats where it belongs in the training arena. NOT the main arena. Or if you want to keep it in the main arena then make the person/pilot who wants to attach have to ask for permission to do so. If someone is going to attach to me I want the RIGHT to say either yes or no. it's that simple and something that should be done Now! and you wonder why the general population of pilots here is dwindling. and don't go giving me they all moved on. that maybe part of the reason but it isn't the whole reason.

FIX IT!!

6. pietas

pietas Well-Known Member

Yep, attach should be reworked, for teammates only. Stealth and surprise is a sense of this game, i mean radars & sides. But you have to talko with developer, not exec.

7. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

Same o' attach thingie again... It's been discussed like a brazillion of times.

Personally I think you suffer from some kind of paranoia, thinking that everyone just waits till you get into arena, then attaches you all the time and relays your position to the other side, at which everyone just shoots off only to hunt you down in the most painfull way possible...

I like attach, I like to attach to people (not only my sq), I don't suffer from your illness
    I say: give the attached pilot a warning, that he is being attached by ...
    that'd be enough

& seriously with so many problems here attach just isn't the key one, trust me

8. skycpt

skycpt Well-Known Member

Well of course you dont suffer from his illness al. The way you put it, you "are" the illness. According to you this scenario should suffice... Say you're on a bombing mission with mates, you're 30 minutes into the flight and then get the "attached" message. Great now what. 30 minutes of playing wasted. Why? Because some other player didnt want to invest his 30 minutes into flying around trying to find you. No, he takes the shortcut, because he feels his 30 minutes is more valuable. Take the time to watch the radar?? hmmpff! Take the time to check fields? hmmpff! Take the time to use my eyeballs? hmmpff! That all takes too long I need to find a target .... a..t..t..a..c..h....

Tell you what, just get rid of the bombers and the field captures and then you will get rid of the reason for people attaching. I would be curious just to see the statistic of how many attach commands are logged by the server. That would be an interesting number.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2006
  9. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

WTH are u talking about?
    attaching is used not only for spying. it's also used for learning*.
    al wasn't speaking of attaching for spying.

* or just for pissing the attachee off with comments on his maneuvers :D

Last edited: Oct 2, 2006
  10. skycpt

skycpt Well-Known Member

And I have never seen al attach to anyone I know. But even al states that is a problem, just not one high on his list of priorities. But does that mean it shouldnt be fixed? Hell its really simple. Open a text editor, scroll to the right line and change a 1 to a 0 !!! For the record, I have no problem with it being a tool for learning. So it should be left in the the training arena. Or... adopt the method used be the TH server. where both parties must consent to the attaching. Plus in TH the trainee actually looks left right up back when the instructor does. So the trainee can see where the instuctors eyeballs are looking.

But we digress from the topic of this thread. And al is right it is a horse with nothing left but a stain beaten into the earth. The FH server will always have the attach command in place. And there will always be pilots whos 30 minutes of time is more valuable than yours or mine.

11. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

there were many threads about attach and solutions were proposed. mb the devs don't have time for this.

12. pietas

pietas Well-Known Member

Everytime i'am thinking about attach, I'm very frustrated guy.
    Why these ignorant developers are ruining this game?
    They do not play this game, so why they do shit for us?

13. RolandGarros

RolandGarros Well-Known Member

Sounds like its time for you to go fly WB somewhere else (LMAO, maybe even pay for it LOLOLOLOL).

14. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

mkay, mby this buff attaching thingie would piss me off, but I don't fly 1h buff sorties too often (and when I do I've never experienced anything you could call "being attached", but as I said I don't do that too often)

shanghai is cool for learning as you can see where the pilot is looking, like watching a track, but if I recall correctly, you can only type it before flight?

I use attach for fun, sometimes when I'm red I change sides just to be able to attach to reuben :) to see some of his crazy flyin' and chat to The D00d
    I don't relay any information to my squad then

The way I see it, is everything has 2 sides
    If you limit the cheating side, you also limit the fun side
    I don't experience the cheating side, so limiting the fun side would worry me and I wouldn't like that

all above is just my personal POV, sry if I expressed it too freely in my previous post

15. reuben

reuben Well-Known Member

As long as people do like this, tell they are goin to attach its' ok for me.
    No info needs to be relayed, since 99,5% of flights end horribly anyway :shuffle:

I'm unsure if attach is used for real spying, does anyone ever get pissed off enough to try and find out? like by attaching to someone who think he is attached by 3viL ?
    Is .attach really still on for both sides, ie red attach to gold?

I am officially crazee (c) and can 'fly' how I want.
    thx for nomination -mixer:@prayer:
    :D

16. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

a red can't attach to a gold
    you have to switch sides, attach, log-out, log-in, switch sides again
    to bypass the countrychangetimelimit

17. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

Exactly. I'd be surprised if it happens one tenth as often as people claim. :turret:

18. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

i heard that!

19. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

great, now we only have to make you understand what you have just heard
    any takers? :p

20. bazura

bazura Well-Known Member

Problem when "authorization required" .attach is eventually enabled is that it won't be possible to see the real thing, we will only see "performances". As it is now it's much more interesting.

Mental note: make the most of it while it lasts! :)