Hold on America!

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by grobar, Dec 1, 2004.

1. -cbfs-

-cbfs- Well-Known Member

Where the flowers bloom like madness in the spri-i
    DUUUDE!!!!!!

2. big-jo

big-jo Well-Known Member

cbfs, i like your avatar, i can t stop watching it :D

3. -cbfs-

-cbfs- Well-Known Member

Where the flowers bloom like madness in the spri-i
    I have a larger version, but forum wouldn't allow it...

:D

BTW, I can't stop watching it too! There is just something about anime girls fondling one-another.

:mafia:

4. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

i didnt know either :) Thats why I staid out of late Autumn. :p

5. biles

biles Well-Known Member

49deg 11min 35.97sec N, 122deg 51min 57.65min W
    That space shuttle is mankind's thing.
    Technology is not the exclusive right or property of ANYONE.
    Sure, the yankees like to wave a flag when they look at that shuttle, but anyone with a fuckin brain knows, it is ALL mankind that thought things out IN THE PAST, that makes a technology current at PRESENT.
    The STUPID PRESS uses the word technology as if it means something OTHER THAN 'PROCESS.'
    All technology is is PROCESS.
    As in, this is how this is done. This is how this is done and this is done this way.
    Technology is not invention, it is invention's offspring.
    Blah blah.
    The Russian Space shuttle isn't working right now. But then again, lot's of things aren't working in Russia right now. It is a damn good thing Russian technology REMAINS in print, whether Russia is broke or not, because we can ALL use the good things perfected there.

Ever heard of the Canadarm?
    It is an example of how EVERYONE has something to offer the yankees while they are mankind's proxies in space....

6. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

well.. we finns have none of that fancy space stuff to offer.
    i had some i would share it with you..no worries.

7. squirl

squirl Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Even this is not a full representation of the world's involvement. Many other countries have helped the world's space program too (like Israel for example).
    It bodes well for space exploration because no country has a "claim" on space territory; and if the current trend continues, borders as we know them will not exist in space.

8. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

We used to make the tasty little liophilized sausages and stuffed paprikas for the russian crews... yummi :)
    not anymore - here the science institutes face the same financial crisis. McDonalds has taken over and kicked us out of the area. They have better marketting.

9. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005, Nikola Venkov wrote:

> Dear Prof Golubitsky,
    >
    > Due to a series of bureaucratic restrictions applied by the US embassy in London there is a considerable chance that I may not get a visa in time for the workshop. :* (

>
    > I will keep you posted.
    >
    > Yours,
    > Nikola Venkov

Dear Nikola,

I understand the difficulty and only hope that
    everything works out and that you are able to
    come to Houston.

In any case, let us know what happens.

Best wishes,

Marty Golubitsky

and here is the last news. Hope he has sense of humour and is not a republican: :)

Dear Prof Golubitsky,
    Yesterday I finally got an interview in the embassy in London. However the typo in my poster title (?Turing pattens? which unfortunately I didn?t notice when you sent to me the electronic version of the letter :- ( ) was taken unexpectedly seriously by the staff and apparently casted doubt on the credibility of all my documents. ?It raised the question am I a student at all.?

Followed an avalanche of questions like: who is this Turing? what is the precise nature of your work? who is paying your scholarship in the UK? etc.; and the question that demolished my last defenses:

"But what is The Final Goal of your study?"

I am afraid here I couldn?t articulate an intelligible answer! Not in English and without some 15 minutes for prior consideration! Caught in surprise I was able to produce only "woooa aaaa" or similar.
    In fact I didn`t even understand whether she meant the goal of my PhD course in personal terms or what would be its scientific significance. Or she had her mind on a grander level - "But what is the Final goal of your Study?" - asking about the purposes of my connection to mathematics and the philosophy of my life; or maybe wanted to know what are all those "neuroscientists" ultimately struggling for - to hear The Grand Programme of Neuroscience or sumfin.

Oh yes, I made the error to mention ?neuroscience? which she couldn?t find in her otherwise extensive catalogue of forbidden and unforbidden sciences. She kept asking me isn?t it in the field of "biotechnology, maybe chemical biotechnology?". No, it`s to do with the brain, no, it`s other people working on the chemical workings of the brain - not me, it`s not neurology - it is really theoretical, really really theoretical - not any technology in here! Proper mathematics in fact! Don`t you have Applied Maths or something?
    At the end we settled onto ?Modelling and simulation of processes? and then !!! she asked me is it related to development of nuclear technology! I am proud however I resisted the temptation to say that making nucular weapons has been the dream of my life since I was a little boy! :- )
    The poanta I got - whenever it is not for fund-raising - stick to pure mathematics! Everyone thinks it is useless therefore harmless.

To summ up the woman decided I am part of terrorist organization based in Houston that made up the whole workshop thing to smuggle me in probably along with some biotech developed at the University of Nottingham. The embassy will have to investigate the matter before deciding on a visa. It would take 30 days at most but they will try to be expedite. 8_(
    I think it was $100 well spent, pity I couldn`t record the show!

So, please, be prepared for interrogations by the authorities about underground activities at the University of Houston. :- )
    Best regards,
    Nikola Venkov

10. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

The only thing that makes it not funny is that I have already spent Ј300 on non-cancallable flight ticket. :(

11. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

When are you planning on heading up this way Gro?

12. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

the conference in Edinburgh is 21-23.III. (wednesday). Are you free after that? I can remain for the rest of the week and we go North? Would love to see your family too!

13. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

AFAIK I have nothing planned around that time. I will book the Thursday and Friday off if I dont, then we can head off wherever you wish ;)

I'll try and meet you for a beer or two while you are at the conference. Do you know the venue? I think you told me before but I cant remember. If it's the EICC, it's about a 15 minute walk from my work.

14. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

No, its the RSE. :)
    I have a mobile now so we can easily fix things when time is due.