i15? Simply bullshit FM

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by rubin-, Apr 24, 2005.

1. rubin-

rubin- Member

No need say more. Thx for another russian FOO in WB sky.

1 person likes this.
  2. hugo baskervill

hugo baskervill Well-Known Member

cc, it is foo, but very slow and poor armed foo.

3. ozemale6t9

ozemale6t9 Well-Known Member

Must be early war again.

1 person likes this.
  4. laxtsc

laxtsc Well-Known Member

I153 is only half of foo that was before FM was changed ;)

5. gryphon

gryphon Well-Known Member

a i15killed me in 110 17 7mm (ho but lived 4 20mmfrom me ho), but 8 20mm( later new i15 same pilot)from 109 in i15 and it lived and killed a few more cons.
    plus bullets pass trew wings alot.
    i can see why its anoying for golds.
    but its also fun to fly. moslty dm needs rework i think. 8 20mm and no efect to flight performace on a samll copact bi planes a bit far streached.

6. --vipe

--vipe Well-Known Member

hey i15 is awesome :D
    btw when i fly in golds i avoid this shit

1 person likes this.
  7. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

There's nothing wrong with the FM, it's the DM of it that badly needs looked at.

It's a joke to be honest.

8. muf-lo

muf-lo Well-Known Member

I-15 is like a Micro Uzi in cook-off thrown on the floor, it jumps everywhere shooting. When I fly Gold I avoid to lose time engaging such annoyance, unless the microspryer is on some countrymate six. Flight model may be OK but damage model is a bit too optimistic... It's the perfect tool for paras strafing and field defense.

1 person likes this.
  9. Snakeye

Snakeye Well-Known Member

damage model now relies on weakening structure of the plane, so most elements now part with plane due to over-g or overspeed which is the main cause of not-hit-well-enough nmy kites going down
    chaika is as sturdy as i16 (or mb even more?) and just doesn't go fast enough for over-g or overspeed to appear ;)

10. Ricedd_EEB

Ricedd_EEB Well-Known Member

Here we go AGAIN...

Next ToD will happen again...

And then again...

And again...

And again...

:rolleyes:

11. Tzebra

Tzebra Well-Known Member

The IL5 is a Bi-Plane (hence it turns very well).
    The IL5 is a Bi-Plane (hence it is slow).
    The IL5 is a Bi-Plane (hence it has small guns).
    The IL5 is a Bi-Plane (hence only dummies stall fight against it).
    The IL5 is a Bi-Plane (hence a lot of fuselage that has nothing vital).
    (( This means you can put 4x20mm into it, and most likely hit nothing of importance, but make a nice little hole))..

I fly an IL5, and I also fight against them when I go Gold. They are very easy to beat "IF" you don't turn with them. Use "any" planes superior pulling-power (they are all props except the 262 which has thrust), and you can dog an IL5 into either giving up, or you can wear them down.

The FM with the IL5 isn't BS, it is pilots who can't think outside of the box.

12. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

It's an I15 ;) Its actual designation is I153 but everyone knows what were talking about.

And any amount of 20mms in its wings should still cause it to have massive problems in turning, with the fabric wings ripping off.

Thats what is so bullshit about it.

13. Tzebra

Tzebra Well-Known Member

Or we could simply call it the Polikarpov I-15 TsKB-3 (versus Il-53 which is misleading), as IL is the designator for a deferent design bureau than the actual manufacture. :)
    Some should be thankful it isn?t the I-15ter Sea Gull variant with either 4x7.62, or 2.12.7mm, or 2x ShVAK g20mm. :)

If we really wanted to nit-pick on FM, then the I-153 should have even greater performance in dives, and higher speeds, since the inverted gull-wing provided extra stability versus the later straight-wing (which he had to switch to later on due to production delays). So you can correctly state that the I-153 is ?under-modeled?.

As for the wing versus damage, it was incredibly tough, especially with the inverted
    gull-wing design, and the added spar-strength between the upper and lower wings, making a hit to one less likely to cause a failure due to the support of the other.

14. reuben

reuben Well-Known Member

Still, no matter what you call them, they are like mosquitos...
    small, quick, buzz a lot and whatever you do they fly on.

Me, being a newbie with about a year or so here, got my first I53 today.
    2x20 and 2xwtf it is, on the 109 G. It exploded. Another gold had danced with him, I dunno how badly damaged the chaika was when I arrived.

I was quite baffled (for 2 secs).

The previous sortie I had flown a zeke and hit a larger amount into an I53 at F11, with no visible damage. Darn, I don't think I ever seen one of those with a fuel leak?!?!?

I would like to agree with glas, if you hit THE WING it should be damaged, being fabric, and get worse, kindof when you get OverG on another plane...

But it won't. Like a mosquito...

I understand that they are fun to fly, being able to bounce like that... but being on the other side is just ... boring.
    Either you go in and attack, nothing happens... or you fly away from it, the same result.

I'm no tactician when it comes to these matters, so I attack of course :D
    Could as well save the ammo for the next LI2 that arrives ;)

SO, wtf do I mean with all this?

Well, FM might be worse than IRL, I dunno
    but the DM is strange.

15. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

There is nothing wrong with the FM Tzebra as I said previously (imo of course).

But the DM is definitely wrong. It is a fabric bi-plane and should never be able to take 10-15x20mm, which it seems to do regularly.

16. Tzebra

Tzebra Well-Known Member

I tend to agree in part, that the DM does indeed have many flaws that need to be corrected, however in dealing with the I-5, many people are thinking of the fabric portions as something that should rip apart easily, when in fact the "treated" fabric portions of the plane was very rigid and not easily torn. You could poke a hole through it, but don't expect that portion to simply rip away. To add to this, wood itself is not prone to tearing when damaged. You can splinter it, but don't expect it to fall away, especially when it is being supported by another wing.

The I-5's fuselage frame was of welded steel tubes. Front and cockpit sections were covered with removable duralumin alloy panels. The rest of fuselage had fabric cover. Wings had wooden construction, while the tail plane and fin had metal frame and fabric cover. It was an incredibly nimble and tough little plane.

BTT on the DM.
    I briefly touched upon the subject, in relation to Mk108-30x90mm, the 37mm and 75mm (briefly). You can follow this link to the thread.
    http://forum.wbfree.net/forums/showthread.php?t=26937

.50, 15, 20, on up, all have issues that should be addressed, but when they will be is an interesting question in itself.

17. Tzebra

Tzebra Well-Known Member

Reuben.

The I-5's are an easy plane to fight against. In fact a few pilots at one time made a personal sport of hunting I-5s, -rdm- comes to mind here.

They can turn on a dime, they can almost hover nose-up at 100kts, but they do not have any speed to speak of, and this is their biggest weakness.
    The best way to approach them is either.

a. HO (if they are dumb enough to engage this way)
    b. Low-6. (where they have no visibility)

If you try to b/z one, and he already knows you are there, chances are you won't get him if the pilot knows what he is doing. You will waste your time. At this point simply extend far away, let him forget about you, then reverse and come in low and fast. If he doesn't turn and spot you, you can make quick work of him.

As for damage, they take their fair share of damage, they just maintain it a little better due to their design, but don't think it doesn't effect them.
    Personally I have downed I-5s with only 4x20.

As with every plane it is "where you hit them".

18. beryl

beryl Well-Known Member

what i-5? it's i-153. And it's fly model is OK, but dmg model sucks. I saw many times 20x20 in that supafly and it was still flying

19. --vipe

--vipe Well-Known Member

ok what about ki27, is it really big difference betweet DM these planes??
    I know ki27 has only 2x7mm but is almost like i153 and noone fly this plane...i wonder why??

ohhh everybony say that i15 is shitty plane, but IMO i15 is only one plane who can defence field against zeke. Good pilot in zeke at the begginig of war is IMO most dangerouse thing in gold side.

Last edited: Apr 26, 2005
  20. beryl

beryl Well-Known Member

ki27? it isn't such messed as i153. when you're flying ki27 you HAVE TO AVOID EVERY HIT, cause even single 12mm can kill it. In i153 you can HO with 110...

1 person likes this.