Latewar planes available with streack only

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by Odisseo, Jun 1, 2003.

1. Kutya

Kutya Banned

Just a pro. :shuffle:

2. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

well it could help with game balance, but it wont change fights much, im affraid;
    why?
    i prefer to fly outnumbered side... more targets to kill;
    when U give me better plane (or acces to better planes would be easier) and give my opponents worse planes (worse acces), it would only give me more kills and opponents more frustration;
    i love fights 1:3 or even 1:5 if i can keep my E advantage; with uber vs not-ubers it will be easier; if i cant keep advantage i disengage; again: in such plane differences it would be easier;
    it could teach some ppl to making more mistakes - flying uber vs nonuber is too easy;

one thing it could help - force ratio; when ppl see that its easier to fly los uberos on the opposite side they would even change country; but most pilots fly in squads and have orders to fly for reds or golds; so its not so sure if it could help here, after all;

ill comment rest later, too late now ;)

ok got point here ;)
    but it doesnt change that the good pilots gettin even better and weaker are more weak;

anyway, aint U getin' tired explaining all over and over again? ;)
    i think we all see others point but got other opinion about what it could and will change;
    however nice too see such patience and straight, sensible arguments;
    but with all this what was said, i still think it would be more harmful then helpful here;
    will type some more tommorow, goodnight ;)

3. manoce

manoce Well-Known Member

Why do ppl do HOs at all!
    if there is 5% of pilots who are regularly refusing HOs, it is much

4. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

i can't believe this topic is still here. why do you guys keep bringing it back up. dead dead dead horse i tell ya.

5. ledada

ledada Well-Known Member

hi ho-hun,

my secretary called me back from holidays, said an important post was to be answered... well, before i leave again:
    once more - as i said before, i am concerned not about me, or better: i try to let my wishes (whatever they are) not to dominate, but about overall consequences.
    so don't see any contradiction here, it shouldn't be seen at all if my humble opinion was read as a whole and not in parts of pieces.

i have to return to f38, evil enemy is waiting and i want to sunbath there :)

6. HoHun

HoHun FH Beta Tester

Hi Haupt,

>>That's why I love touch-typing - you can write without looking at the keyboard at all ;-)

>you blind!? :eek:

In fact, touch-typing is called "writing blindly" in German :)

It's also called "ten-finger writing" though you only use nine of your ten fingers ... puzzled me until I saw at a museum that old teletypes were using the left hand's thumb for some mode switch key.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

7. HoHun

HoHun FH Beta Tester

Hi Spuint,

>well it could help with game balance, but it wont change fights much, im affraid;

It will change fights towards equal chances as far as the outcome is concerned even if numbers are not equal, and I consider a pretty important change.

>it could teach some ppl to making more mistakes - flying uber vs nonuber is too easy;

However, flying one versus many isn't easy at all :) I'm sure many people would for the first time realize that they really have a chance against multiple opponents at all if they have the opportunity to engage them in a superior plane for once.

>ok got point here ;)
    >but it doesnt change that the good pilots gettin even better and weaker are more weak;

Not rewarding survival will mean that the "weak" don't recognize their "weakness", that's all.

Actually, streak restriction will raise the overall level of the competition. It's not sufficient to learn how to kill to become a good pilot - that's easy enough! To become a good pilot, you have to learn how to stay alive, and that's a quite different set of skills because you can't go for the quick success that is brought about by target fixation, but have to think one or two steps ahead all of the time.

Given the motivation to survive, many players will learn that, too, and become really good flyers.

>anyway, aint U getin' tired explaining all over and over again? ;)

Not at all - if I stop now, I'll have to start to explain everything again in 6 months. And I'd have to start from zero then :)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

8. HoHun

HoHun FH Beta Tester

Hi Manoce,

>Why do ppl do HOs at all!
    >if there is 5% of pilots who are regularly refusing HOs, it is much

You may be right!

And head-on attacks are an example for why players who don't fear for their live are at an advantage: To avoid the head-on, you either have to fly an offset approach path, giving the enemy an angle advantage at the merge, or you have to fly evasively to dodge his shots. Flying evasives means burning energy, though, so you'll end up with an energy disadvantage after the merge.

So the head-on introduces either angle or energy loss for the guy who likes to avoid it, and an opportunity for an easy kill for the guy who goes for it. With no penalty for death, it's hardly surprising we're seeing so many head-on attacks - the advantages outweigh the disadvantages :-(

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

9. HoHun

HoHun FH Beta Tester

Hi Ledada,

>so don't see any contradiction here, it shouldn't be seen at all if my humble opinion was read as a whole and not in parts of pieces.

I did consider your whole post, but I considered it enigmatic :)

>when you play with many others. the more one need to be 'logical' (what you seem at least to base all your arguments on), the more one heads to act/play for his own.

Most (but not all) people start on Freehost by playing for their own even now. Usually, it's only when they get picked up by the squadrons that they begin to cooperate. They get indoctrinated then with regard to squadron tactics, and these tactics are what has proven to be successful for the arena. Change the definition of success, and you'll change the indoctrination.

>pls note: it is not contradictionary in exclusing one the other, but in stressful situation, for example when behaviour changes, by will or not, emotions won't be transposed simply to new reasons...

Obviously, it is going to take some time after the introduction of the streak restriction to work out new tactics, decide on new goals, re-indoctrinate all of the squadron members etc. However, this is just the same what my squadron (LC69) went through when we came over here from wb.de, and it was a pretty fun phase.

>of course you can change any rules for playing, but you seem to neglect possible demolition of playing-quality.

I've listed the possible downsides in the comparative summary. Which ones would you like to add? :)

>in this context, your example of taking away rewards for territory-capture, is not simple... what it may result in i don't know (since it's not serious, i won't waste thoughts about it), but it is surely very different from restricting planes

Different, sure, but it proves that player behaviour is shaped by rewards. Like it or not, that's the way it is.

>i don't believe that is the right way, not when the multiplayer-aspect won't be taken more care of!

One big problem with multiplayer gameplay is that the readiness to die makes cooperative play very difficult. In real life, you could save your mates by threatening a bandit - he'd usually break off the attack since he'd have to fear for his life. On Freehost, there's no fear for your life factor, and so real-world cooperative tactics just don't work.

This is going to change for the better with the introduction of the streak restriction :)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

10. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

one argument about streak restriction was to force players to cooperate;
    if ppl would have chance to fly uberplanes and fight against worse planes in 1:3 combats, killing and surviving more easily (or less harder, i should have written) then wheres the spirit of cooperation?
    again: way between good and weaker pilots is gettin' bigger;
    U could say that fe two cons could engage one uber while 3rd is climbig and we have cooperation here! but while 3rd climbing 1st is dead, 2nd about to die rtbing and when 3rd appears, uber can easily disengage;
    it doesnt look ok to me and it would look like this - dont forget that on uber is better skilled pilot usually - he easily can fight two less skilled pilots on worse planes;

and giving better aircraft to the otnuumbered side could even broke cooperation:
    i remember one night at wb; we were fighting in about 4:15 ratio for one field; 4 players with cooperation can easily defend field from 15 pilots for a very long time...
    and without technical advantage - both sides were flying aircraft with the same capabilities; to defend effectively that field, coop was unnecessary; how it would be with streak restriction?

11. manoce

manoce Well-Known Member

well, true... but you can also use his stupidity (that he want to have HO more than anything else) in your favor... u have to have some speed and time before HO.. just go few hundred yards to the side and string him by nose to tail turn, while he (in his HO attemp) would be turning and burning E very hard to your tail

it is not usable all the time, but sometimes it just helps that your opponent is headon freak

12. Malino

Malino Well-Known Member

lol, you're correct Bullet, I only post here when I see something particulary stupid, like ban the 30mm.

Mal

13. manoce

manoce Well-Known Member

to post something stupid, when u see something stupid?
    (30mm is useless x 30mm should be restricted if it would come to the point that new planes would be restricted..)

actually your post was not even reaction to my post... it was just something like..
    "these snakes likes vipers are poisonous one......." x "but blindworm isn't snake!"

Last edited: Jun 25, 2003
  14. Malino

Malino Well-Known Member

To be honest I was making the point about unjustified statements.

your example of this was banning the 30mm because it allows 1 shot kills, but it dosn't take into account the restrictions already on the weapon in question (see points made) or the current bugs in FH where an armored 190A8 dies from as little as 6x12.7mm or the super accurate 37mm carried by the Yak9T or P39.

As I've said on many occasions, before people start thinking of banning this, or banning that just because they don't agree with it we should be providing information to the developers to improve the accuracy of the flight models and damage models of existing planes.

To quote some examples of things that need research but have yet to be posted about:

P39Q - I'm hearing alot of golds moaning because the P39 can outturn the A6M5 but as yet nothing has been said in the forum.

190 series - Feul bug still appears to be prominent in this plane but again nothing has been said lately about it.

P38 - Ongoing argument about the FM of this plane.

110's - has no pilot armor in the current FM (in front of the pilot)

Spitfires - All versions in FH seem to be armored.

Typhoons/Tempests - I recall theres something wrong with the speed of these at low level (If I recall correctly they are too fast by 20kph)

IMHO issues like the above will have more impact on gameplay than arguing about streak restrictions or whether the 30mm should be banned (Which should only happen if the red 37mm is also banned, afterall thats a 1 shot/kill weapon thats alot more accurate).

Malino

15. ledada

ledada Well-Known Member

hi ho-hun,

enigmatic is, what i always wanted to be... :)

you don't need to answer every post, when you don't know any...

16. manoce

manoce Well-Known Member

very true malino
    actually my post started with this "following this logics"
    and the reason for 30mm banning was - because in early 1944 there were mb 10% of 109s with 30mm and not 90%...
    and actually.. I don't care about restrcitions.. this debate is onanism of ho-hun and co
    I just wondered what they would say, when I post this - to my suprise they almost didn't react. Apparently they are out of arguments for anything concerning this problem(restriction).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    consequences - our argument - was based on our different opinion about 30mm cannon - it had nothing to do with my 1st post... so I was little bit upset when I saw your statement about reacting at "stupid" posts, because you reacted about very different thing
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now i would like to express my opinion about problems u suggested

37mm cannon - try it, then try 30mm, then try it again... wonder if u would still state 37 as super accurate and 30 mm as whole clip from D1 missed...

p39Q maneuverability - I'm not surprised that it is so maneuvarable - all weight of plane is in the center of plane... and it bleeds Energy very fast.. and this allows to make it really fast maneuvrs (thx to E bleeding) - it has its drawbacks of course :)
    the problem is.. that is it very hard to control it.. it is very unstable plane.. for the reasons posted above... just try it... Guys who can ride the plane the way they are kicking asses of everyone are few and they feeling of that plane has to be spectacular

- fuel fire is thing not well modeled.. some planes suffer from it too much.. as 190.,. or p51, F4U.. and some - like early war japanese should be imho a little bit more catchy :)

the problem is that rgreat took into account only weight/area of this plane.. special benefits from its unique desing - allowing it to have lift even at almost zero speed - were not taken into account
    result.. stall speed was raised and should be lowered about 10-20 mph - i look forward for the new FH!

- very true... same with 109

about 110 and temp/typh.. i don't know

but there are more planes to be corrected....
    I know examples in favor of reds - as u know those in favor of golds...
    F6F - elev at high speed,
    p 40E - elev at high speed,
    ki84 - very overmodeled.. concerning speed(but this very point is questionable), low speed maneuvarabilty, rudder effectinvess and much more,
    N1K - ammo too low.. should be about 2 times bigger,
    F4U, p47 - they eat fuel too much,
    bf 109F2 - stall speed aka helicopther complex,
    spitfire fuel consumption too low

I guess.. more examples could be found

17. Malino

Malino Well-Known Member

I know, I'm sorry, too used to bumping heads with hohun and odi I guess so I tend to become over-agressive because you never know when an innocent remark will be taken up and implemented (like streak restriction :) ).

Mal

Last edited: Jun 25, 2003
  18. manoce

manoce Well-Known Member

i see :)

well.. looks like we add another 2 pages of nothing to this 30+page thread about nothing

19. Kutya

Kutya Banned

LMAO! :)

20. HoHun

HoHun FH Beta Tester

Hi Spuint,

>one argument about streak restriction was to force players to cooperate;

Streak restriction isn't forcing, but encouraging.

>if ppl would have chance to fly uberplanes and fight against worse planes in 1:3 combats, killing and surviving more easily (or less harder, i should have written) then wheres the spirit of cooperation?

That's just like saying

"If you advise to attack with an altitude advantage so that you can win 1:3 combats, suviving more easily then where's the spirit of cooperation?"

There are many way to win a fight. Flying the better plane is one. Attacking with an altitude advantage is another. Cooperating is yet another. And they're not mutually exclusive - wingman tactics while flying the Fw 190D-9 with a good 5000 ft advantage before you attack is entirely possible, and actually a very good way to rack up kills.

What the streak restriction will do is to reward survival. That will encourage people to try and find out how to survive - and going for an Ьberplane, using sound tactics and teaming up with others is going to help their survival chances.

So: teamwork is encouraged by the streak restriction. No worries about that! :)

>U could say that fe two cons could engage one uber while 3rd is climbig and we have cooperation here! but while 3rd climbing 1st is dead, 2nd about to die rtbing and when 3rd appears, uber can easily disengage;

Again, you're forgetting that neither side has a monopoly on Ьberplanes. The single pilot in his Ьberplane can find himself screwed quickly if your #3 enemy is flying an Ьberplane, too. Everyone can shoot down everyone in air combat, and numbers have a big impact on the game.

And that's the point - the game is not fair when one side has two times as many players as the other side.

With the balanced streak restriction, it would be much fairer!

>to defend effectively that field, coop was unnecessary; how it would be with streak restriction?

Obvious - with balanced streak restriction, you might be able to start attacking if you cooperate.

Equal opportunities even if you're outnumbered! :)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)