Official Off-Topic Flooding Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic International' started by Harpoon, Aug 15, 2004.

1. mcgru-

mcgru- Well-Known Member

seems like it is some religious community.
    the song is very unusual for everyday radio listening.

2. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

I was not thinking clearly when I wrote that comment the guy in that link Is Canada’s isolated and quarantine Prime Minister and he is there with his wife and family and I believe some servants.is Canada’s isolated and quarantine Prime Minister and he is there with his wife and family and I believe some servants
    Of course his hair is messy and his beard is improperly trimmed I noticed that but didn’t think it through of course the guy is cutting his own hair or improperly trained servant is or someone in his family is doing that.
    The Prime Minister of Canada is having a hell of a time shut inside like that when his job is to help Canadians govern their nation. There are signs of rebellion and order shouting all around me and I don’t like arm bearing authoritarian types and I fear those fuckers are all around just waiting for their marching orders.
    I mean by a weird attitude there are signs of mental illness being exhibited around here and I believe around everywhere.
    Now I do not even notice when a great leader or industrialist has messy hair
    PEACE!

3. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

Is it kitsch?

4. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Yes, "religious" but, I do like their music!
    A mix of "ancient" Russian tradition and modern day compilation.
    Very very new and different for me but, I do like it!

5. mcgru-

mcgru- Well-Known Member

a kind of.
    i dont like such songs.
    but as for life style of that singers - something is OK for me (many children, hard work), but the way they push themselves to create a song - i dont like it.

6. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

I think it must sound quite exotic to you. Is it?

7. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

I pretty much regard any religion (save, maybe, for the cult of the FSM) pointless.
    I do like, for example their adherence to some traditional values (my daughter went to a Roman-catholic kindergarten, my son also will - also because the religious indoctrination is less pronounced there, than it is in the city-run kindergardens). Their formation methods for 3 to 6-year olds are great. My daughter (currently 8) already asks me to delist her from catechesis at school, so the education she received in preschool seems effective (yet not the way they would like it to work).
    Not that I am making fun of it.
    Not at all.
    In her kindergarten there was a spirit of community, we (also the parents) did stuff together and had fun doing so.
    Now she is faced with the institutionalized face of the catholic church (which for the last 30 years has been suffocating this country and the freedoms of its citizens), and she really (to my pride) disapproves it.
    (yes, I do know I should capitalize "catholic"... sorry, I can't)
    Church is community.
    When it turns into a state-interfering institution, it becomes pointless.

8. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

Well put.

Hey, have you seen the TV series called The Mire in English, or Rojst in the original Polish (I think that's what it is in PL)? The production quality is amazing; incredible depictions of Soviet-era stuff in Poland, IMHO. The budget probably wasn't very big so the scale was limited, but pretty good, considering.

9. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

It sounds good to me, and I have not been to church in 10 years. Even without religion, culture is strong!

10. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

I did enjoy that.
    I was actually a subscriber of Showmax VOD service when it premiered.
    And, for the first time ever... we were waiting (with my wife) for the next episode every time it was to be released.
    Unfortunately it was a swan song of that provider, which went bust in Poland only months after Rojst.
    The story is placed in 1984, so in one of the darkest hours of Polish history, in the middle of the great economic collapse that started in 1979, and did not end till 1991.
    As far the budget is considered - it was rather high for a Polish production, with PLN 1.5 million (USD 400-450k) per episode. Nevertheless the Netflix's answer to that (the "1983", telling a story of an alternative version of Polish history) did cost more than thrice of that, without enjoying any success.

11. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

I'll check it out.
    I remember seeing Czarne chmury (we knew it as "Nori negri") on TV during the communism when we had only 2,5 hours of tv daily during working days and a tiny bit more on Sundays. Saturday was a working day and there was only one TV channel, of course.
    Sometimes they broadcasted films from other communist countries, cut to the essential, because they had to fit into a tiny slot in the program. Most of the TV programs were propaganda that was impossible to watch.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  12. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

Ha!"Czarne Chmury" was a 1973 series dedicated to XVII century Poland... not really a blockbuster here, but it was "successfully sold to the other countries of the bloc".
    When the 1970's and 1980's are considered, we had 2 TV channels, one operating most of the day.
    No one really gave a fuck about commie series, unless these were by the great Bareja "Alternatywy 4", "Zmiennicy", or just plain normal - like the "07 - zgłoś się" (or the Polish Bond series).
    But we had American series (Kojak, Colombo, Muppet Show, etc,) and British ones too (Demspey & Makepeace, Fraggle Rock)...
    Once, deep into the 1980s, friends of my mother, from the GDR came over.
    They went here, and there, in their Trabbi, but found no great discrepancies in what they were used too... not until we sat at the telly on Thursday evening... it was Dempsey & Makepeace day... and they were shattered... a commie TV showing a drama straight outta the "rotten West".
    Guess we were the "most funny barrack" of the commie camp after all.
    The marshall law in Poland (December 1981) stopped some later screenings of "Apocalypse Now" by Francis Ford Coppola... when could it be first screened in Romania? Any ideas?

13. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

Wow, that's fantastic!
    Romanian communism had it's surrealist moments too, I think during the late 70's or early 80's they broadcasted some episodes of Dallas. Imagine all that luxury being served to one of the poorest countries in the block. They cut it off, of course. All we were left was a nursery rhyme we used to say in kindergarten: "One, tchu, free/ Pamela vrea copii/ Si Bobby nu o lasa/ Ca e prea frumoasa" meaning "One, two, three/ Pamela wants children/ But Bobby doesn't allow it/ Because she's too beautiful."

And I remember the Muppets being broadcasted during my early childhood, I think it was during those ten minutes of cartoons we had on Sundays.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2020
  14. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

Speaking of nursery rhymes, these guys kill it

15. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

We had 15 to 25 minutes of cartoons or stop-motion animated movies every evening.
    Most of the latter were domestic shows, like the the Teddy Floppy Ear, or The Moomins (actually a Polish-Austrian-West German co-production), the Polish-French Colargol, or the Czechoslovak Pat & Mat series, and so on.. but they were actually great.
    We also had Muppets screening, but whole, uncut episodes (with Pigs in Space, the Swedish Chef, etc.).
    What we, kids, craved for were Disney animations, but they only came in short supply - one or two episodes of Mickey & Donald a week (during the 5-10-15 or Teleranek weekend broadcasts for kids). I remember that once the martial law was lifted they bought Mickey's Christmas Carol for Christmas... even the adults watched it.
    But there were other foreign cartoons that were so common, that we came to think they were Polish (while they weren't) when we were kids - for example the original "Die Biene Maja". It was not until 1988, that I first went "behind the iron curtain" that I discovered it was not Polish :D

My father was big cheese in the Solidarity movement in the early 1980s, so the most Disney cartoons I ever watched on a single occasion was... at a political police station, when he got arrested trying to pick me up from the school. My mother was at work at that time, so they had to keep me waiting for mom in one of their stations. I did not mind... they had a whole collection of VHS tapes for kids there... and arresting my father for two days (without any charges) was a typical tactic for them since 1980... so there was nothing abnormal about that for me.

16. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

This sure draws the crowd...for a T-34 tank. Wonder what they are going to do with it?

17. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

Razor blades.
    I see no other use for a tank that is so abundant, that you can still buy a running one for $50k.

18. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

That's a crazy amount of work, time, money to salvage some iron. Woah.

19. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

I read there that some important anniversaries are coming and Moscow is trying to attain as many T-34s as can be can be gotten.
    Parades and stuff, movies....
    There is money to be made salvaging war-wrecks.
    I am not trying to be cynical

-ALW- likes this.
  20. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

hezzey, that makes sense! But, why use old obsolete tanks? It would more likely bring back painful memories many of them would rather forget.