P-38 FxF Whats the point?

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by flygav, May 27, 2004.

?

What to do about views,P-38 and FxF's

Poll closed Jun 26, 2004.
  1. Change cockpits so one can see

44.4%
  2. Do away with the death traps

7.4%
  3. Enable tracking view as with bombers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Leave as it is

48.1%
  1. flygav

flygav Guest

The P-38 and F what ever F, are fine planes but no one will fly them because the view makes it point less. Why not correct these cockpits, or just take them off the RPS. At least enable the tracking view. :znaika:

2. kangaa

kangaa Well-Known Member

This whole thing of the rear view and the head rest is all wrong all fighters had rear view mirrors and if you looked back you would look around the seat not at it so in mho this should be fixed in all aircraft ...

3. tigrou

tigrou Well-Known Member

yeah, i think make a 360 rotation on the same axe with the head is "bizarre" :)

the back panel on F's is enormus!

4. -cbfs-

-cbfs- Well-Known Member

Where the flowers bloom like madness in the spri-i
    Thing is... can they actually implement a rear view mirror in front cockpit view? Or make it another view altogether? Yes, 360 rotation is weird, something like the WBIII solution would be more realistic. Another thing is the color of the cockpits of FxF series... which is bleh! Why not make them like that:

http://www.aeronautics.ru/archive/wwii/books/cockpit/small/Grumman F6F-3 Hellcat.jpg

...instead of this puke colored cockpit we have now?

Still, F6F for example has horrible 6 view, whether we like it or not:

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/warbirds_en_normandie/Pages new/Images/Hellcat/F6F FAL97 FC.jpg

And the conclusion is:

FreeHost should work on new planes and maybe remake a cockpit or two. Asking more is overkill, these planes (and the game) have been like that for years ;) :)

5. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

but one thing i can't understand is why 109s cockpits have so clear rear view. Watching pics i get the impression that they aren't at all that clear.

6. -cbfs-

-cbfs- Well-Known Member

Where the flowers bloom like madness in the spri-i
    errr... 109 isn't exactly Yak... And it's a much thinner airplane than the fat-ass F6Fs and F4Fs :D

7. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

same thing with spits, hurricanes broz..
    and why nobody mentions i16? its views are totally cheat-like...

8. beryl

beryl Well-Known Member

Hey I was sitting in spit and I can say it has wonderfull 360 clr field of view!

9. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

agree about i-16, but can't agree about hurricanes. It has a shit view. As typhoon and early p47

10. Snakeye

Snakeye Well-Known Member

@kangaa

All fighters had mirrors ??? Of all planes in FH that had mirrors in RL I know only Spitfire, Hurricane, La7, p40, p47 and P38. I don't think that qualifies as ALL planes...

11. -ada--

-ada-- FH Beta Tester

Rear-left and rear-right views of i16 cocpit simulates movement of pilot head.

12. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

So why can't we have the same movement simulated in Spitfire, P-40 and Me-110? Both in i16 and in those planes the pilot was strapped with belts to the seat. I agree that those planes did had enclosed cockpits, but a lot of plexiglas around the rear of canopy enabled the pilot a lot better rear-view than in WBFH cockpits.

13. RolandGarros

RolandGarros Well-Known Member

fly with a wingman or in groups, learn the Thatch weave - at present state of RPS i think P-38 is the fastest plane (unless 190 is out now), so really, if you fly correctly your 6 view doesnt matter

14. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

like frog said - why its only in one plane then?
    because nobody will redraw cocpits?
    it should be in all, or in none, dont u think?

15. tigrou

tigrou Well-Known Member

cause u fly alway at speed limit ;)

furball is very risky with such of planes.

if the back view was more clr, many players woold fly fm-2 in hot defencive furball

16. manoce

manoce Well-Known Member

@snakeye - every plane in history could have rear mirror -- why not-- not such a problem to make it in field conditions and install it
    ie i've seen pic of 109 with rear mirror etc
    but mostly pilots didnt like it-- it was of no use -- image in the mirror was just too small to give you warning unless enemy was too close

ad cockpits -- yup, they are screwed here - most of them
    i mean.. planes with bubble canopy should have almost unrestricted 6 view..

@spuint -- i16 6 view is quite accurate -- pilot could always lean his head out -- couldn't he?
    @frog -- oh c'mon; glass around canopy, if it was not "bubble", restricted pilot to lean his head "out of the plane"; while in open canopy ...;
    of course pilot was stripped.. but most of planes were very thin..
    you are right, that head movement would be nice -- concerning bubble and open canopies only tho

anyway-- by far i16 is not the only plane with "advantegous" 6 view.. on contrary concerning i16 it is realistic
    1/3 of planes in FH have way too good 6 view
    1/3 about accurate
    1/3 way too bad
    by making i16 6 view unrealistic.. you would solve nothing
    so.. why all these cries? ;)

btw -- bit ontopic.. british S/L commenting spitfire's and 109's cockpit
    http://www.virtualfighters.net/Ruzne/video/Spitkokpit.avi

http://www.virtualfighters.net/Ruzne/video/109kokpit.avi

17. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

manoce, sure they could, but why pilot of d3a cant?
    why pilot of any 109 cant move his head to glas for forward-right/left view? or any other plane? their pov is always placed in the middle of cockpit, which seems to be unfair while one plane has cockpits drawn with head-move-like positions; imho of course;
    anyway dont focus on i16 views, its just an example;
    imho, theres nothing about to give p38, f6f, f4u, p47 (which D version has too good 6view i think) external view; idea seems like a bad joke to me;
    sure its hard to fly plane like that, but their cockpits sux;
    about too good views - 109 surely had too good 6view here (btw nice links, thx) thats why i wont complain about no plexi back armor in middle war 109s again ;)

beryl, im just curious... were u sit in there with ur backpack, with sit belts? im sure thats much harder to turn around with those;

anyway, we cant solve problem here like in AH (which is nice, with its save position for all views for every single plane), but external view is not a solution;

18. manoce

manoce Well-Known Member

hm.. pov is not that fixed -- 1 and 3, especially 3+5 and 1+5 views are giving you quite better perspectivity than plain 2

19. Malino

Malino Well-Known Member

And think yourself lucky! IL2 FB has no straight 6 view and you can't see diddly squat behind you even looking back left or back right regardless of plane!

Mal

20. thefox

thefox Well-Known Member

I'm going to an airshow in the next week and will see if I can get a close view of those planes you guys mentioned. Most will be there. I'm hoping to see the P-38, a rare sight.