P-38 FxF Whats the point?

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by flygav, May 27, 2004.

?

What to do about views,P-38 and FxF's

Poll closed Jun 26, 2004.
  1. Change cockpits so one can see

44.4%
  2. Do away with the death traps

7.4%
  3. Enable tracking view as with bombers

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Leave as it is

48.1%
  1. thefox

thefox Well-Known Member

2. RolandGarros

RolandGarros Well-Known Member

Tilamook (Oregon, USA)air museum has a P-38 that flys occasionally, (not very often now, they has 2x but some idiot crashed one), maybe they will let you check it out, i'll wager there is some FH pilots that work there

3. gryphon

gryphon Well-Known Member

as for p47 cockpit the later models were buble cockpits with great viewhttp://home.earthlink.net/~adefiantwisper/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/p-47-thunderbolt.jpg

the p38 cockpit i always thought the pilots seating was too high, and cross suport cutting out view in wrong place. but after searching threw pichers ive found seating was high. pilots forhead was even with front canopy top and back canopy top. and only fit because center canopy boubled up. So even thow i greatly dislick p38 as having the worst 180 view in a plane i cant find anything to soport changing it. other then maby that cockpits to far back on plane. but again some pictures this seems right in others it looks like free hosts is a foot or 2 too far back. that pilot sould see slighty more infront of wing leading edge. but if it is its so slight its not wrth persuing

4. big-jo

big-jo Well-Known Member

:eek: doesn t matter burble canopy....can u turn ur neck 180є??? :rolleyes: and i dont think u can move freely in cockpit with security belts...dunno

5. daedal

daedal Well-Known Member

The field of view of sober human is about 180 degrees from left to right.

Even if I can turn my neck about only 160-170 degrees I still can move my eyeballs further to see more than 180 degrees backwards.

6. rgreat

rgreat FH Developer

I-16 cocpit was made to emulate pilot ability to stick his head out of the cocpit.

I-153/I-16 are the only planes that have open cocpits at WBFH.
    Tough luck, that open cocpit also means bad aerodynamic and top speeds.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2004
  7. big-jo

big-jo Well-Known Member

yeah, u can see 180 with eyes, but u haven t the same good sight as when u see at center...at least in me :p

im talking about to see dots, of course if con is at 200 yards is easy to see it :)

8. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

you can repaint cockpit arts

9. thefox

thefox Well-Known Member

What a blast this show was ;) Here is me standing in the presence of an awsome aircraft. :) Talked to a WWII Vet who was a recon pilot...asked him lots of questions and videotaped the interview and 2 hour flight of the P38. We'll post more pictures and get some videos on the JG27 site soon.

Attached Files:

10. thefox

thefox Well-Known Member

Norman McMorrow...the WWII vet's name...82 year old guy.....I'll have more info to post....I asked him questions....but I'll just post the answers he gave....like to performance etc...he said he could maintain speeds up to 570 IAS and around 350-400 mph ground speed if I remember right with no WEP....he said he never used it or needed it...I'll have to listen to the video I made. Oh...he also answered a nagging questions of mine....stalls, spins, torque, snaps.....he said there were no torque roll snaps at all....stalls and spins were very very mild and at stall still maneuverable and could turn well and outrun every Japanese plane and most German aircraft except a 262 which he encountered one time....also had a medal of some kind for a situation he encountered with 6 190s when returning to base. He flew every variant of the P38 and was very well versed and knew every answer....awsome guy!! I'll get his pic up here as well later on. Just wish I could have gotten pics from the inside of this aircraft!!! :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 9, 2004
  11. big-jo

big-jo Well-Known Member

wow 82 years, how many years was he when he flew the p38??? 21 years?(1943)

12. --q---

--q--- Well-Known Member

Aint this topic a result of the warning about clear 6 view cocpits ?

13. gryphon

gryphon Well-Known Member

so then u gyes are saying 190 view that is simuler to p47s and p51 bouble cnopay is no good. zeeks and kie with those narrow 4 inch wide headrests u can 6 around prity damn good, is no good? comon golds u have more good 6 views then we do dont cry about ours when u have simuler and more then we do. It near impissble to sneek up a golds 6 if there looking. ive beeen spoted 1k-2k under at d 1o by con not doing crazy ivans.

i fly poor 6 fighters alot if u look around alot it sould be rare a con sneeks up 6, and if u dip a wing and cock rudder u can see 6 with little speed blead in most planes. and i dont see complaints about yaks with have the best 6 in game thats odd ?!?
    if u use ur views constatly 6 wont be to bad a rpoblem. it called situational awarness. u see high dot keep it in viel ever 2-3 sec its likly a con getting positon to drop 6. do it right and u might even bait him into a turn fight or ho leavling the battle to = chances.

14. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

Wow, lucky man you are ;)

Any chance of turning the video in to mpeg or something and sharing with us? :D

Even an edited version with just the good bits (interview, nice P38 shots, etc) would be nice ;)

-glas-

15. thefox

thefox Well-Known Member

But of course :)

16. thefox

thefox Well-Known Member

Oh yes, I need to get a capture card and then play the videos into the computer and then convert somehow.

17. ~Top Jimmy~

~Top Jimmy~ Active Member

If it can be managed from the server side (since there's nothing can be done about client) allowing the 'U' view (head out the window) for all fighter planes would mitigate this problem slightly.

The p-38 views could be significantly improved just by reducing the cockpit structure impediments. In RL, all you have to do is bob your head a bit to see around this stuff. The engine and wing view impediments are a product of the airframe design and should remain (Blame Lockheed).

The FxF planes are IMO fantastic weapons, and in my experience, flying in sight of, and in mutual support of your squadmates is the solution to the six view problem.

Aside: Did ya'll know the p-38s had flight yokes, not sticks?

Last edited: Jun 13, 2004
  18. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

ifh you can move your plane.

hehe. no volunteer to make new pictures?
    so what are we talking about?

19. flygav

flygav Guest

20. flygav

flygav Guest

so far the poll is 13 for change, and 13 for no change. umm, i wonder if there is something common with the ya's and the na's?