P38

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by demian, Sep 13, 2010.

1. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

Ha ha ha.... Yes, you could do like that old sim of Lucas; SWOTL;

You could switch from main, aux or drop tanks and use-up the tank that was leaking first.

Of course you would be told what tank got hit.....

:D

2. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Not to mention, the fuel tanks are self sealing ones...at least IRL they were. :rolleyes:

3. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

if intentions would be "draw cockpits for ki-84, j2m, sm.79 (whatever)", i'd give the tool

http://up.k10x.net/ypzyjhfzpgjfg/P383.zip

5. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Yes, that would be my intention. I thought those planes already had cockpits. If there are some representations I'll do my best to create what needs to be there. I know there are others out there that need updating like the Li2 and Meteor cockpit. Is there a way to create a permanent shadow layer behind the existing cockpit layer so someone can't use "transparent" cockpit glitch?

6. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

it is actually present: wb.exe checks overlapping of bitmap and 3d. if overlapping is not sufficient, exe replaces vew with f6f.
    transparency is some palette tweaking (i haven't bothered to analyse it) so overlapping is correct, but exe cannot handle that palette correctly and renders vew as a transparent one.

7. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Hmm....ok. That is similar to what was done in Air Warrior. They used a P51 though. The cockpit view was nearly all clear all around. So, the text/needles for the dash gauges must be attached to the .vew file as well?

The palette tweaking is one thing I'm trying to fix right now with the P-38 cockpit. The rear , rear/up, and rear/right view has transparent pixels showing up on the headrest. Need to have you send me whatever program can convert these images to .vew so I can quickly fix those little issues. It's fine on my end but, then it's changed again when I get the .vew from you.

8. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

9. Mcloud

Mcloud Well-Known Member

10. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

Depending on how big a hole...... :D

11. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

12. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Yes, that's true. Most small bullet hits would not cause leaks or fires. Cannon shells maybe, but unlikely as well. Would have to be a direct hit broadside to the wing IMHO. Other hits would simply deflect. Metal wings. :dura: Hits to aircraft that did not have self sealing tanks should at least start on fire from cannon shells. In particular, zekes. They just leak and take loads of ammo to bring down.

13. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

you gave me cockpit i just had gave to you before.

what should i do? tell you to remove too dark pixels? or find transparent pixels on your screenshots by coordinates and replace them within your bitmaps with nearby colour?

14. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

ok.....I am trying to fix an image problem. I only asked for the compiled .vew file for the P38 cockpit so I can see if what I did fixed the problem. :help: If you want to fix the problem, go for it. For some reason whatever tool you're using to convert the images is picking random pixels from the palette and adding/changing them to the transparent 253 and 254 palette numbers, or, there are 3 palette numbers which are transparent. [​IMG]

This is such a slow process to fix when I have to wait for .vew file. Would be nice to have the tool so I can fix this without having to keep asking you for the .vew file. It's not that complicated.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

ok. you can switch for new cockpits.
    i'll finish p38

16. mumble

mumble Well-Known Member

OFFTOPIC

IIRC, we may be fighting iEN on the A6M's DM. Originally, it was the paper plane it should be, but they modified it to be tougher because nobody flew it. The funny thing is they reverted the A6M back to genesis for AH2, but they added A LOT more aircraft to the CV. Now, nobody flies A6M except for the hell of it in MA or when the occasional scenario requires it. :shuffle:

I do agree that the A6M is tougher than it was when they upped the armor on the A6M here at FH, though.

/OFFTOPIC

17. Jacobe

Jacobe Well-Known Member

In my humble opinion P-38 best and most difficult plane to handle, and in good hands the best plane.

Why not revert to FH server 1.42 exec? Or put 2 versions online, the nowdays version and 1.42? Lack of resourses? 1.42 was 7 times more enjoyable and playable than this version now in my opinion.

18. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

your opinion is based on pyro's believth of 38 being an superuber.

so in fact you all desire to beat single-engine fiters easily. and that is not true. lightnings suffered heavy losses and were redirected to jabo raids as quickly as 47 and 51 came into scene.

long range - yes. recon - yes. jabo - yes. even level bomber led by droop snoots - yes. but not a matching dogfighter with 109/190. period.

however, mistakes in speed, climb, roll would be fixed provided you deliver error reports.

19. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

btw, gil renounced to test and prepare 38 for fhl 1.70.

the only thing fas and i have decided is to remove 38f and add 38g-10-lo.

actually this only shifted 38 to later date, since our 38f-15 is nearly equal to 38g.

and yes, it was f-15 despite mismarked as f-5

20. boa

boa Well-Known Member

This opens new subject ,Exec. What about early 190 models and spitfire?
    As I remember , everything was done in order for spitfire to be able to kill 190 in wb fh. Now you say, P38 was inferior to 190 when it comes to dogfight.
    Sounds strange to me...

The only problem with P38 imho is the one thing you didnt mention at all.
    Pitch. Pitch without flaps is horrible. It is exactly the same as f6f5 had before it was fixed. Bad without flaps, too good with flaps on. Is that so hard to understand? P38 now is exactly what you dont like about it.
    P38F able to outturn 109F with full flaps on. Is that historically ok?
    I was only asking for p38 to have better starting pitch , (better instant turn),
    and worse turning ability with flaps on.
    Thats all.

La5 starting earlier and earlier, typhoon too, only P38 gets more delayed with every new version.
    In 1.66 , rps was so better.

Edit:

Since P38F turns so good, how about we move it to 1944, and delete other 2 versions:)?

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011