P38

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by demian, Sep 13, 2010.

1. gil---

gil--- FH Beta Tester

Nothing revolutionary, it is still 109G.

PS: and g14 is one of my favorites :shuffle:

2. boa

boa Well-Known Member

woohoo:)

good description:shuffle:

:cheers: mine as well, stealer:shuffle:

3. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Awesome! Speed increases will help quite a bit. Maybe the P-38 wasn't the best turn fighter, maybe it doesn't roll the best, but it was surely designed for speed and climbing ability! It could boom and zoom. Need speed and thrust performance with those two engines! :@prayer:

Now, on to the unfinished.....not providing any complains? Ok, I'll post once more.....for the 5th, 7th, 8th or whatever times I have posted.....

P-38 Obvious issues/complaints/objections/comments/error report/defect/ien issue/ etc, or whatever you decide to call it:

1. Nose heavy start:
    What about the nose heavy problem? ANYONE who airstarts ANY plane will know IMMEDIATELY there is something wrong when choosing a P-38. With autopilot on, all the P-38's start nose diving downward (except offline).

2. Nose heavy after takeoff:
    When taking off from a field, once airborn, after passing minimum speed to lift off, even after picking up speed, if you let go of the controller/joystick, the plane will fall/dive.
    You can't really say this is because the aircraft isn't travelling fast enough. The stall rates dispute and disagree with any argument. Not to mention it's directly related to the nose heavy condition above, and not present in ANY other aircraft on WBFH. Offline, the P-38 does NOT have this condition at all. I enjoy flying the offline version, even though it's slower in response, it's at least predictable and not responding like it's flying with rubberized gravity forces flying through jello.

3. Won't hold auto angle or auto speed over 1.5ROC.
    With very little elevator input needed to keep the P-38 climbing it's confusing. The auto angle and auto speed are nearly useless most of the time. It is very lazy/poorly responsive and just starts getting nose heavy and falling into a dive. Loaded bombers hold better climb. ?

4. Inability to maintain level flight or moderate climb with a dead engine.
    All the P-38s suffer from this issue, which I think is also connected to the nose heaviness and other conditions (twin engine aircraft defect of spinning in circle with one engine running while on runway, only present in P38 during flight even with full rudder deflection).

4. Behaviors:
    A: Won't hold speed.
    Plane requires increased stick input and decreasing altitude to maintain speed and won't hold speed (how does a person climb?).

B: Won't climb on one engine.
    Pretty obvious when you have to fly back home on one engine. Just try taking off from a field, stay level at 1,000ft till at maximum speed, kill an engine, and climb over some mountains to another field (F20 to F17 on "Old WBmed"). I tested this with other aircraft including the Bf110 and, even though it's heavier, has no problem at all climbing.
    IRL, it was the saving grace of many pilots. IRL all P-38s were able to easily maintain full control during level flight, AND climb with a DEAD engine. From my experience with Bf110s, those aircraft fly better on one engine than the P-38 does on two engines sometimes, and they weigh more with less engine power, less thrust, and lower ceiling and ceiling performance. Try flying with a mouse under those conditions.

C: Will begin to attempt aggressive spinning and decreasing speed due to keeping in level flight or attempting to climb.
    The plane begins to fight input and behave as though the rudders/vstab are missing as speed decreases when in reality, the aircraft should only want to drop a wing with the absence of an engine. The thrust is forward, not sideways, or am I missing something.

And a couple last things...
    What about the corrected hit/damage areas discussed previously. Fas and I worked on that and came to an agreement that would be acceptable and said that would be implemented?
    Cockpit art? Will that be updated?

4. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Bah, I prefer the K4...more stable/better climber/faster good guns. :mafia:

5. gil---

gil--- FH Beta Tester

Thrust is forward, but there is also drag. The plane flies straight if points where thrust force and drag force are applied lie on line parallel to the directions of both forces. If it is not so (like in case of 2 engine aircraft with one engine dead) you get torque and have to change direction of drag force by controls to maintain straight flight.
    The plane should not want to drop a wing because gravity and lift forces stay where they were and thrust force can't create additional torque in roll direction because of zero lever in roll plain and perpendicular direction.
    May be in real that torque in horizontal was smaller and rudder was more effective, but in general one engined p-38 should fly as it does - you have to use rudder to compensate thrust/drug torque when plane becomes asymmetrical.

P.S.: poor autotrim is problem, i hope can be fixed

P.P.S.:
    (wiki about 110g2)

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/URG/p38.htm
    :shuffle:

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  6. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

No kidding. ;) We discussed that earlier in this thread. IIRC, alw posted data saying that IRL, the P-38 could be flown on one engine at an airspeed as low as 120 mph. In Warbirds, even when full corrective measures are taken the P-38 becomes totally uncontrollable when speed drops below 140 mph. It just can't be done.

7. boa

boa Well-Known Member

I cant agree with this statement, P38F can climb as good as 110 on one engine. Mb it does need greater banking angle, but it does climb until it reaches 150-140mph. For 110 g2 , that speed is about 200km/h...

8. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

you mean 110 falls earlier?

9. Red Ant

Not the way I read it ....150 to 140 mph == 241 to 225 km/h; so going by boa's numbers, the Me-110 can keep climbing a little longer than the P-38F.

10. boa

boa Well-Known Member

On one engine it looks like that .
    But!
    Just got new -modified P38g and Ill report after testing it.
    For now I can only say its different than old P38F.
    Fas says its faster now , at all altitudes,seems much more powerful than it was, elevator seems better , feels more like P38J.
    Flaps could be engaged at about 400mph, so thats the only thing im not sure about , for now.What was historical speed for dropping first notch of flaps for P38s?

11. Red Ant

250 mph, I think. 400 mph is definitely much too high IMO.

P.S. Yeah, just checked "PILOT'S FLIGHT OPERATING INSTRUCTIONS".

The 50% extended setting is what's called combat / maneuver flaps.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2011
  12. Red Ant

Hmmm, according to this:

http://www.kazoku.org/xp-38n/articles/p38info.htm

The pilot could also choose to extend his flaps to any setting he liked.

So I guess the 250 mph figure I quoted above is not really a hard limit for the first ""notch" of flaps, but 400 mph still seems a bit too high to me.

13. boa

boa Well-Known Member

That is something I dont understand..

How many positions for flaps had P38?
    Retracted, combat, deployed? Or more?
    Does that mean we should have flaps like in Il2?
    Only one setting is really for combat?
    Why manual says 50% at 250mph?
    Does that mean 1st notch is at 250? 1st of 3?
    Or, 50% is 250mph, then first notch could be at 400mph?

14. Red Ant

My interpretation: the real P-38 had 3 automatic settings:

- retracted
    - 50% extended (combat / maneuver)
    - fully extended (landing)

Beyond that the pilot could manually set his flaps to any position he wanted. Since the WB P-38 has 5 settings (I think?), 50% would correspond to the 3rd setting, which is 2 notches of flaps (the 1st setting being flaps fully retracted, obviously).

15. Red Ant

This one. Although I'm very skeptical about the 400 mph figure. Maybe a little shy of 300 would be more reasonable, but this is pure conjecture on my part.

16. boa

boa Well-Known Member

Understood.

I think we wont have any problems with flap settings.
    This P38G has better elevator response, it is possible to dive above 400mph,
    and turn with joy only, not using trimmers. It is actually able to turn circles in range between 400-350 mph , not touching trim, not touching flaps.
    As Fas said , engine of new P38G is made on P38J's model.
    So, as plane with more energy ,it needs even harder and longer maneuvers, in order to slow dwn , so in my oppinion , 1st notch of flaps at 400mph wont matter ..
    Simply said, this is now more potent machine, preferably for Bnz:rolleyes:

17. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

However, as a twin engine aircraft weighing less than or close to other 2 engine aircraft, more engine thrust, larger control surfaces; elevator/hstab/rudderS, it should NOT behave at all like it does. There is footage of the aircraft in flight flying normally on a dead engine and was known for being very capable of returning home without a constant struggle. Part of the problem here as well is the FACT that all the P-38s are lacking in thrust/top speed which I imagine adds to this problem. Feels like they have excess drag although one of the cleanest aircraft designs. :dunno:

Hopefully elevator response will corrected as well? It's quite bad with increased speed. Pitch/Roll are bad considering what we would expect at higher speeds?

wiki? I wish you would use wiki and warbirdsresourcegroup.org / http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-38/p-38.html for the P-38. :mad:
    But, Hmm... I'm looking at actual WBFH weights exec sent me.....:shuffle:

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  18. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Post your trk pls........110G2 and P38F taking same path, winging. :mafia:

19. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Here are some other facts.

P-38J
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.wwiiaircraftperformance.org/p-38/p-38-67869.html
    J. Single Engine Operation

The airplane has excellent single engine performance. The indicated speed for best climb on one engine is approximately 145 mph and the minimum indicated airspeed at which control can be maintained at rated power is 110 mph. Normal single engine procedure is used.

If we can just get it to climb on one engine at 145 mph :D

20. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

But, that's what it does do in WBFH....drops a wing unless you fight it with extreme banking and full rudder input. Quite odd. Try any other 2 engine plane. :deal: