P38

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by demian, Sep 13, 2010.

1. gil---

gil--- FH Beta Tester

Oh, that's ok, actual weight of p-38j exec sent u is "16 597 lb with 300 gallons of fuel", if u add rest 116 gallons of fuel you get about same data, and anyway it will be more than 110g2 loaded.
    So p-38 is 2 engine aircraft that weights as 2 engine aircraft and has thrust as 2 engine aircraft :).
    Also effectiveness of typical for that time air propeller with adjustable angle of attack is almost independent from engine power (in actual limits) so 2 engines of p-38 or 110 is just 2x~1450 hp and nothing more. It can be compared with one engine fighters directly without any bonus.
    The only advantage p-38 have against lighter planes is its weight again - the larger and heavier aircraft is, the less is role of parasitic drag in compare to thrust, lift and induced drag.
    Also its airframe provides more lift and induced drag than classic design with same wingload, so it has relatively good low speed performance (turn and climb) but same or less max speed than F4U and P-47 with less thrust and less thrust per wing square.
    What i mean - its nice interesting plane, but it is not a miracle and it obeys same physics as all rest of WW2 planes.

Hmm, will try more

P.S. New p-38s can climb on autotrim just ok.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2011
  2. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

Does the P-38 FM make considerations for the unique counter-rotating props?

3. gil---

gil--- FH Beta Tester

Surely, it has no torque from them, helps at low speed near stall.

4. Higgns

Higgns Well-Known Member

I thought we went over this P38 drag thing last year.

intersection drag is created where a airfoil or any other part of an airplane meets fuselage........ or boom in the case of the p38.

Check post #3 for the first mention and later for explanation.

http://aafo.com/hangartalk/showthread.php?t=2384

The mustang has only 5 major intersections

2 where the wing leading edges meet the fuselage and 3 where the vertical and horizontal stabilizers meet the empennage.

The p38 has 14 intersections.

Now add to that the frontal area of the cockpit and both engine pods.

5. boa

boa Well-Known Member

Gil, what do you think about new 38G?
    I think it is so cool:@prayer:

6. gil---

gil--- FH Beta Tester

I didn't try it in fight, but data we used makes it the only p-38 that is faster or equal at least to any enemy of its period even at sea level. Imho it will be the best fighter of all family.

7. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

I hope I'm not asking for too much, ;) but when you release the new launcher, can you try to write a line or two about each important change you've made? No need to write any novels, just briefly outline what you've changed about each plane you've modified.

8. boa

boa Well-Known Member

New P38G on one engine, climb, auto-trim etc:)

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  9. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

300 Gallons? Nope. The WBFH Aircraft Specification chart exec posted shows the P-38J with 492 Gal of fuel (1864Liters). :confused: "Flight Weight" 16,257 lbs (7,374kg). Unless I'm totally missing something here. Not exactly sure what is meant by "Flight Weight". Maybe that is maximum weight? :dunno: I'm curious where 492 Gallons comes from. If it's 192 gallons over, that is 1,152 lbs of extra weight. That makes a BIG difference. So, if that WBFH Specification is wrong the P-38J/L should be performing like it has only 300 Gal of fuel at maximum fuel loading. So, WBFH settings are set to model the P-38J/L loaded with an extra 1,152 lbs of extra fuel weight. No wonder it's a pig with bombs/rox loaded.:rolleyes:

From the WBFH Aircraft Specs:
    P-38J: 1380 HP
    Bf110G2: 1180 HP
    P-38J: Flight Weight: 7,374Kg
    Bf110G2: Flight Weight: 7,548Kg

The advantages the P-38 had during that time were higher top speeds at all altitudes, very good climb rates, very good single engine performance/operation, ability to carry extra fuel/ordinance, good visibility, and present a very respectable fighter. It is very aerodynamically clean, more than any other during that time. It was known for VERY quick dives and had very good nose guns. People keep bringing up stories about the downsides of the P-38 due to pilot error but, ignore test data.:rtfm:

What about the nose heaviness, nose won't stay up without stick input.

10. boa

boa Well-Known Member

Lets try raid with P51 and P38 both fully loaded. I bet you in P38 will get to target field 5 min before me.:cool:

11. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

They won't climb on auto trim. There has to be full opposite rudder to correct and auto trim won't do it. :)

12. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

I tried new P-38G/J/L. Able to climb 1ROC at 145-150 with full opposite rudder. [​IMG]Couldn't do that before with older F/J/L.

Are we going to lose F variant btw? I hope not. :-/

Let us know when you make another change and boa & myself will check it out.

13. boa

boa Well-Known Member

no, but you can make coffee while buff goes home on auto trim on level, with 1 engine :cool:

14. kernel

kernel Well-Known Member

Buffs now have absolutley NO chance against fighters anymore. The otto settings are USELESS!!!! Most of the time the gunners fail to even call con on 6. If any changes need to be made RIGHT AWAY the ottos need improving. I used to like flying buffs. But now its TOTALLY FRUSTRATING with NO defense. Please make some adjustments to otto settings ASAP..:help:

15. Red Ant

Just getting a fully loaded P-51 to take off can be quite an adventure. %)

16. Red Ant

Not even if the fighter attacks from a dead 6 position?

17. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

You mean while it goes in circles? :@drunk: I don't drink coffee. ;)

18. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Response in new topic....

19. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

So, I'm expecting to see a "P-51" topic started soon, I would hope. Lots of documentation on that aircraft easily found now. :D

20. boa

boa Well-Known Member

:nono: :nono: no no , next topic will be about some of gold fighters imho