Simpel way to improve relizm.

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by -kopi-, Aug 28, 2003.

1. -kopi-

-kopi- Well-Known Member

Whtats the idiea?

TURN OFF THE ICONS !!! Or at least make them visible from lower D for example d3 just to check side of a plane before shoting .

Flying this way will be more realistic as pilots will have to really cooporate and start to fly in formations and so on .

I think it will put the end to nonsense furballing as no one will be able to tell on which side is a dot unless he will get really close.

Fighting should also became as it was in real life where in one time youre in middel od the combat and in another you are alone .

It was once done in a scenario and i dont remember anyone complained aboute it.

Ofcourse there will be a problem in telling against what you are fighting but we would get used to it. And i dont think every real pilot could recognize plane type from 1.5 km distance .

2. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

Why don't let people choose the "realism" level they want? Let it as it is

3. -mart-

-mart- Well-Known Member

want realism? Frendly collision pls on ;))) and killshooter off ;))))))))

4. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

what about those who play in 640x480 because of low fps?

be realistic, wb graphic is too poor for such step

5. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

kopi, could you read nicae's faq?

6. --stec

--stec Well-Known Member

Turn off icons? Do you imply that ww2 pilots were blind?

7. daedal

daedal Well-Known Member

Hi Kopi,

There is an extensive thread about icons with serious argumentation for and against them. Just try and search topics from one or two years ago.

I'm afraid, there's no way to make WB realistic.

Greetings,
    Daedal

P.S.

Without icons we would have much more furballs than today (furballs are realistic btw). Opposing pilots would have to get close to each other, and others would gravitate to the two fighting dots before they could think of any reasonable tactics.

8. -kopi-

-kopi- Well-Known Member

Furballs realistic ? You mean when half off pilots on the arena flies from two near by fields mostly alone and in search of action is realistic? I dont think so. Realistic is flying with teammates in a coordinate mission when you will have to stay focous all the time.
    From what i read air combats in WW2 where far from this whats going on on MA . They werent that clear as it now but much more chaos . Look on the tactics of Finish Air Force they used the tendency of fights to split into smaller parts to conqurer the numerus advatage of Russians. Thats the way it should be . And on FH if you enter a dogfight at low all you can just pray no enemy will fly in range of d30 from the fight .
    IMO this icon setting is quake setting and its not realistic .
    I fly in 640/480 resolution in 2d mode and i can recognize a plane from quite long distance. Remeber we have TOD here so you dont have to know how all the planes looks from far away . Its easy to see difrence beetwen lets say f4f and spitfiere . F4f is 3 blue pixels spitfiere is 3 dark pixels and i16 is 3 green pixels simple as that.
    And i dont understand why no icon setting will evaluete in more furbals, as it would be much harder to find enemy. I read the Nicaes central and im just complaning aboute it. If no one agrees with me then fine leave it as it is. Its just there where many posts around here on how to make this game more realistic IMO turning off the icon or make them visible at low ranges will help.

9. ebola

ebola Well-Known Member

bad idea...

i remember a scenario with iconrange friendly=d6; enemy=d2...
    most time while flying i tried not to loose my squadmates, and after a long flight we found some enemy fighters. after some turns the "fight" was over, cause i saw only black dots around me... thanks god i was flying a fighter, the buffs had a bigger problem: otto donґt shoot at dots, only on identified cons...
    i think, you can imagine what happend: the buffs were shot down before they even realized the con on their 6.

iґm against the idea pressing my nose on the screen, asking myself "is this a green, a grey or a darkgreen pixel?"... in real life the human eye isnґt as poor as the wb_grafic, but if you fly this way, press "f2" for disable the icons, but donґt force others to do.

cu, ebola

10. heme

heme Well-Known Member

I agree with ebola!!!!javascript:smilie(':znaika:')
    Znaika!

11. muf-lo

muf-lo Well-Known Member

I vote for leaving the icons siystem as it is, Ebola scenario scared me a lot! :D

A try that could be fun can be leaving the range info in yards as it is, d34, and remove the type of plane from all planes, even at very close range...

12. daedal

daedal Well-Known Member

Kopi, furballs have nothing to do with taking off from two fields close to each other nor with flying alone. Furball is a fight between many airplanes. Furballs happened in WWI and also in WWII.

What you are talking about is unrealistic flying, one by one, to the fight location. No icons settings are responsible for that.

I agree that it is possible to fly successfully without icons (in my early years on FH I tried to force "no icons hardcore flying" (I made streak 33 w/o icons) but all in vain. People consider the obvious monitor limits unacceptable restriction to fly w/o icons.
    For me, those limits are sufficiently compensated by equally obvious narrow range of objects in our virtual environment. Like some people say, i16 is 3xgreen pixel, 109e is 2xgrey pixel + 1xyellow pixel and so on. No problem for me, I would gladly say bye bye to icons.

One could even be able to tell who is flying which plane in their flight w/o icons but people do not want to make this effort to learn the real way. Icons are easy and fun, real combat means blood, sweat and tears, no fun.

Greetings,
    Daedal

13. Malino

Malino Well-Known Member

What size monitor are you using daedal? I play on a 17 inch and above D30 I either get a single grey or a black pixel for fighters,

Malino

14. -brajo

-brajo Well-Known Member

And what do you think about no-icons in IL2 FB?

I hate it.
    Using 17" monitor in 1024 rez on full FB graphics it still sucks.

You will never be able to compare picture on monitor with human eyesight.

It's just a poor excuse for realism.
    And funny thing is to see all those guys who are for that "realism" turning on their smoke trails or that 10000W landing lights all the time :)

15. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

erm, actually the 640 users have an advantage over the 1024's, objects are bigger, software makes it easier than 3D as well, so in fact they have an advantage over those who prefer the tiny graphical improvement 1024 has to offer...

I liked the no-icons scenario, but I'm not sure if it would be better for the arena to be like that all of the time...

why is it always some people want to improve the realism? some people out there don't even WANT more realism...

planes can be told apart... but I dunno, I just don't particularly like the idea... maybe because it was brought as something new, while it's actually sometihng old? it's been done to death already, and I remember some bad arguments about it

<Z>

16. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

its not quite like that Zembla
    on bigger monitors (+19") in 640x480 res it is harder to detect type of plane u see; as already smdy wrote above - plane is shown as some pixels with specified colors;
    its easier to see dots on 640 because they r simply bigger, but u cant see fe. if the flying plane is g4m or ju88 as their colours r similar (even 109s r very similar to ju88 in 640); in 1024 u can see the difference much quicker on bigger monitors (i suppose, even on 17"s) as the plane is shown in 4x more numerous graphic at same distance than in 640;

17. Koziol

Koziol Active Member

Hmm but i think the friendly colizions are good idea. The game will be a bit realistic

18. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

As you could see my second paragraph was devoted to identifying, the first paragraph actually jus tpointed out they could see planes from farther away easier...

<Z>

19. -afi--

-afi-- Well-Known Member

Keep it as it is...? :dunno:

20. Malino

Malino Well-Known Member

I think Killshooter off would be a nightmare (for reasons previously stated) but friendly collisions on sounds and interesting idea.

Mal