So Reagan is dead

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by -afi--, Jun 9, 2004.

1. -afi--

-afi-- Well-Known Member

Any thoughts? What's the European view?

I never liked him, but then again I wasn't alive during most of his reign, err, presidency. I was never a fan of trickle-down economics, anyways.

Best thing to come out of his era: Reagan Youth, and they suck anyways. Shows how important he was to me.

2. Vadim Maksimenko

Vadim Maksimenko Well-Known Member

Taking into account, that Reagan has made US the super-power on this planet... And your point of view makes me understand an average political education level of the US citizen ;) Suppose, you like most the kind Mr. Clinton shared his love to the nation in the White House :UU: :D

3. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

afi, sometimes, i can't help but think, what a putz! sorry. just my opinion. reagan had his problems no doubt. but he acomplished quite a bit. but i do like to think he really helped remove that big cement devider between the then west and east germany, and helped open up russia and many other countries in which you now hang with in cyber space. also i like to think old gorbi wanted more freedoms for his people as well.

as for clinton, wellhe hadgoodpoints as well. but i think he sold america out on many things. i also think clinton enjoyed the work reagan and bush had started. alotof these things a president does during his time, are not felt until down the road. now i do not claim to be into politics at all. in fact. show me a politician anywhere from any country and most likely hes a crook! i always think of elections as voting the least of all the evils running. lol but alas this is the system, and itappears to be one ofthe better ones. anyhow, i find afi, for being an american yourself, and one who live in or very near NYC. you seem to be very pro with all the negative folks here on the FH. (not that i am implying that all are anti american here, but this cyber community definately is loaded with alot of anti american folks) now what i am getting at is, is that really your opinion or are you kissing A--!?

bullet ;)

4. thefox

thefox Well-Known Member

LOL wooo :)

I think afi just hates everyone in the world :turret:

All I can say is.......Sean Hannity for President!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Heheh ;)

5. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

@bizerk

Reagan was a great politician but a poor economist. He is the one to credit with the fall of USSR, but also with recession,unemployment and raise in public debt in the U.S.A.
    Fighting communism was his goal, but he sometimes hit the wrong targets (just two things to mention- 1st: his behaviour towards his actor colegues in McCarthy era; 2nd: way he dealt with communist regime here in Poland [after marshall law was introduced in december 1981 in Poland Reagan administration replied with economic sanctions which did not hit the regime here, but millions of Polish citizens instead- some will never forget that here]).
    Well- and as for decissions... I've heard that during his second term some decissions were made by Nancy and her astrologist rather than by, already suffering from dementia, Ronald).

6. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

Whilst Reagan can perhaps be credited with helping to end the cold war, you are deluding yourself if you think he did this for the greater good of humanity. It suited the US at the time to remove the threat of communism. It was also seen as a victory for the great US system of democracy.

It does irk me tho that nothing whatsoever is said about his support of terrorism, use of death and torture squads in Central/South America, etc. He has alot of blood on his hands, but from the tributes and stuff I have heard in the past few days, you would think he was Mother Theresa's disciple.

-glas-

7. -afi--

-afi-- Well-Known Member

That is pretty fucking arrogant to generalize a society's political knowledge based on 2 sentences that I purposely didn't make very in-depth.

@ Bizerk, no i'm not kissing ass :). I'm already too far up to be able to pucker up!

But actually, you must understand that it IS possible for an american to have views different than you. I don't spend hours on the computer researching how to piss off other americans and kiss european rear ends whom I don't even personally know, i spend 10 minutes on here a day just saying what's on my mind. I cultivate these opinions from looking at things with my own eyes and just judging it for what I see it to be worth. K? I'm not going to comment more, i'll just let the conversation continue on what everyone elses opinion is. And bullet, don't talk down to me, please.

8. Boroda

Boroda FH Community Officer

"My fellow Americans, I'm pleased to tell you today that I've signed legislation that will outlaw Russia forever. We begin bombing in five minutes."

9. daedal

daedal Well-Known Member

Reagan died of serious illness in old age. So it goes.
    Why don't we start a thread about a Polish student who was beaten to death by a bunch of retarded scums on the street not so long ago?

10. ~peek~

~peek~ Well-Known Member

ol ronnie was a fool, a dangerous fool, but a fool all the same

11. Perdomo

Perdomo Well-Known Member

Totally agree with Afi, above all i loved this "That is pretty fucking arrogant to generalize a society's political knowledge based on 2 sentences that I purposely didn't make very in-depth."

I thinbk we humans tend to generalize really easy and fast, I do it sometimes and i've seen it a lot here (i am guilty too), and i can only agree with the truth behind afi's words, we can't generalize like that.

@ glas : usually i don't agree with what you say, nor the way you say it, but lately i have begun to apreciate your posts, i may have made myself an opinion about you too fast. I really loved your post. :@prayer: (I was just thinking... that is another reason not to ignore people, even when I don't agree with most of what one guy may say, it's always good to listen to him, listening is what makes people grow, ignoring keeps you in ignorance)

12. airfax

airfax Well-Known Member

Beats me :p

I personally don't give a rats ass about some dead guy who used to be a president in a country opposite side of planet than my country is. Why should I?

airfax

:@drunk:

13. Boroda

I wonder if anyone recognised a quote I posted above?...

14. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

@Boroda

Sure- a sick man testing a microphone before his weekly radio adress in radio. Tells a lot about his "so called" sense of humor.

15. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

That quote is reproduced on the Roger Waters album 'Radio Kaos'. Quite appropriate ;)

@ Perdomo: Thanks :) And yes, you are right. We dont have to agree with everything someone says. Personally I would never put someone on ignore unless they were a really ignorant person posting extremist views or shit like that. Anything else is always worth reading, and we might learn something too :)

-glas-

16. Boroda

Hmm. I never listened to Radio KAOS carefully, thought it was like disco-pop :( I had a tape with it in maybe 1989.

I am happy noone in Soviet Armed Forces listened to that broadcast...

Such things simply can't be an accident or a fu@#up. It must have been a planned action. Unfortunately we can't now find out what was the official Soviet reaction on this "mistake". I remember all Soviet media repeating this for several weeks.

http://www.dailywav.com/0900/reaganbomb.wav

17. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

Not being funny, but is it possible editions over your way were edited not to include it? Anyway, iirc it is at the beginning of the song 'The Powers That Be', or at the part where Billy pretends he has set off the A-bomb.

Regardless, it was typical Reagan imo. A cack-handed clown with a sinister side.

-glas-

18. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

Btw, KAOS is a great album, not at all disco-pop ;)

Have you listened to 'Pros and Cons of Hitchhiking'? Definitely the best stuff he produced as a solo artist. I had the privilege of seeing him live at Glastonbury in 2002 when he done the whole of the 'Dark Side of the Moon' album, as well as some other Floyd classics and the best of his own stuff. The guy is a legend :)

/end hijack

-glas-

19. Vadim Maksimenko

Vadim Maksimenko Well-Known Member

Excuse me, but thinking that way exposes your education too much ;) If you name him a fool, most likely, you consider or count yourself a wise guy or, at least, a clever one. If this is true, why ain't you a President of the US?! Or do you count all those electors, that have made Mr. Ronald Reagan a president twice, more foolish than him and, automatically, you?

You know, there is a russian saying: "If you are so wise, why are you so poor?" I hope, you know what I mean...

20. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

@Vadim

Quite OT, but read David Goleman's "Emotional Intelligence"- a part of it explains clearly the phenomena of poor geniuses and rich fools :D