What makes Britain Great?

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by grobar, Oct 29, 2005.

1. airfax

airfax Well-Known Member

Nah, we'll flame the

:D

2. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

Born in Edinburgh.

The pleats on the kilt must always remain at the back. The sporran should be worn in front of the crotch, and the sgian dhu should be worn in the left sock.

Most importantly, the wearer must NOT be wearing any clothing underneath the kilt itself ;)

3. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

And this means what exactly....?

4. reuben

reuben Well-Known Member

umm glas...
    In left sock... Aint it where you should keep your evil lil dagger?
    Is that called sgian dhu? hummm..
    :confused:

5. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

Aye mate, the sgian dhu is the small dagger that is part of the highland dress :)

6. RolandGarros

RolandGarros Well-Known Member

Well, now it obviously means that you're a lot stupider than you've realized, but if you ask politely I will spell it out for you in monosyllables.

7. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

Bah, no difference with my trousers, then

:D:D

8. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

So the fact that his surname translates as 'Welsh speaker', means that William Wallace himself was Welsh?

Aye, right :rolleyes:

9. RolandGarros

You seem to believe it suggests otherwise.
    What is it that makes one a scot? Is it racial, or does it just mean someone who lives there?

10. biles

biles Well-Known Member

49deg 11min 35.97sec N, 122deg 51min 57.65min W
    I have a real problem with government employees of my nation who cannot communicate in one of our two official languages, yet are still happily employed in a Job For Life with Medical benefits, life insurance, superb pensions etc...

I got on a bus [here, they are a government operation]. I didn't have the faintest where I was or how to get to where I was supposed to go.
    I asked the driver, "How would I get to the 1200 block 6th avenue in New Westminster?"
    And he said to me,
    "Och bloch nach alf globch noach alch nicchy blecch hrrralf blblblblbe."
    And I had to say,
    I am sorry, I didn't catch that.
    He groaned [I think he gets a lot of 'Huh?' and 'What?' as replies] and said, again, only much more clearly,
    And I said, "HUH?"
    and he said, I HEARD him say, before repeating himself, quietly muttered, in perfect English, 'Fuck.'
    and then he said, LOUD [you know, if a guy doesn't understand your language, JUST YELL]'
    I SAID:

So, I went to sit down.
    And I figured it out myself by looking in a transit pamphlet written in SMALL BLUE TEXT on a white background.

When I got off the bus, I was walking with another worker and I said, "I thought a person had to speak ENGLISH in order to be employed in British Columbia in the Public Service..."
    And he looked and me and made the 'Pfffffffft' sound and said, "he was speaking English, you moron!"
    I said
    Like fuck he was, what the fuck kind of English is

He is from scotland, you asshole.

Okay, and he is one of those bastard who thinks everyone should just LISTEN MORE ATTENTIVELY while he spews his colloquial babble?

Fuck.

I have met a million Punjabis, Mexicans and Chinks who have a better command of queens English than that fuckin overpaid, pampered bastard drivin that thing.

11. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

Not racial no. I suppose anyone born in Scotland can rightly claim to be Scottish. Same with most countries in the world I would have thought...

Can you clarify what this means? I assume you are meaning that his ancestry was possibly Welsh, given his surname?

12. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

@ biles: He must have been a Rangers supporter, they're all ignorant fucks. :D

Seriously, just another ignorant and impolite prick. When the speaker makes at least an attempt to be understood, Glaswegian is the clearest spoken form of English. Simply because Glaswegians dont have any accent. We do have inordinate amounts of slang though, which can make us very difficult to understand.

13. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

Having said the above, I would consider anyone who has lived in Scotland for a long time, and who has a feeling of Scottishness within themselves, could consider themselves to be Scottish.

14. biles

biles Well-Known Member

My Gradad is from Dunoon [spelling?].
    I never had a problem understanding him. He has a little 'tune' in his lilt, but he speaks English, yes.
    And when someone is 'upset' because I have a hard time understanding whatever the fuck that driver was speakin, I am even more upset. ANYONE from the English SPeaking world can tone down their twang and get their message across, if they would only wish to try.

We have a race of cousin fuckers in canada we call Newfies and their cousins, Maritimers. Thos people are actually PROUD they speak a version of English NO ONE ON EARTH can decipher except themselves. Many times, I have been on the fringes of a group of inbreds talking babble just to piss off the 'Mainlanders' and people from 'overthere.'
    No fuckin wonder Newfies and Maritimers, in other parts of Canada pick fruit and dig ditches.......
    Or drive busses...

OH, sry,
    [/hijack]

15. RolandGarros

Loosely translated "no darkies"

16. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

And how do you get that?

FYI I would take 'darkies' before any other kind of immigrants. We have loads of them here already, and all the ones I've had the pleasure of meeting love it in this country and feel very welcome. I've also found they are usually very adept at speaking the language, which is definitely not the case with Eastern Europeans.

I've a feeling this is more to do with your own prejudices ;)

17. biles

biles Well-Known Member

[arrrgh deleted]
    Fuck

Last edited: Nov 4, 2005
  18. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

Stop deleting your posts, man! You have something to say, say it!

19. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

Btw before anyone has a go at me, I obviously dont mean that all Eastern Europeans cant speak English. As I've said many times, alot of people in here from Eastern Europe have a better understanding of English than me.

It's been 17 years since I last learned wtf onomatopeia (sp?) and all the other intricacies are, and I dont really need to know what they are called specifically, as long as I know what they mean and I know when to say them ;)

Some of the non-English speakers in here really put us to shame.

20. biles

biles Well-Known Member

Shit man, all you gotta do is say, "Listen, I want you to say that to me as if you aren't trying to impress yer fuckin English Teacher in school, okay?"

Kurt Vonnegut said, about writing, that you should write as if you are addressing a very intelligent 7 year old.
    I think speech is the same. And never mind the on again off again use of bilespeech, that is bullshit I do for fun.

onomatopeia:
    Ach, it is just polysillabic babble;
    Phibbible.

My grandmother used to read fuckin dictionaries. In the things, of which my mum has a number are actually CORRECTIONS and ADDENDUMS in the fuckin margins.....
    My gramma really liked English. And she could babble with the best foriegn educated queen's english cocksucker too. I used to think to myself, what a fuckin waste of time, no one talks like that around here: Try talkin big in the fuckin sawmill and see how long it is before someone puts a load of wd40 into yer fuckin gloves when yer not lookin, or slaps ya in the head and calls ya a fuckin hoitytoit muckeymuck faggot...

Shakespeare wasn't talkin no fuckin dictionary english, he didn't have rules, so he made his fuckin own. I do that too, but I don't know any fuckin queens or dukes.