Greatest Deal EVER!

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by Allsop, Aug 30, 2004.

1. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

2. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

pls dont quote, Z :)

3. squirl

squirl Well-Known Member

You will not understand this, as what I am about to say is logic, but it is no excuse to not say the following:

If somebody is intelligent, they have the mental power to know this.
    If somebody is stupid, they lack the mental power to know this.

Thus, being stupid perpetuates itself, much in the same way you have perpetuated this thread.

Cause and effect.

Look at the pattern of my posts.

Cause and effect.

You took the first swing at America by Zembla stating this:

Up until then it had been a casual non-hostile discussion. Zembla had to impose his insecurity.

Tell me Zembla, are you worried about your paranoia?

Cause and effect.

I responded. Evened it out right? Wrong.

I had the pleasure of reading opinionated thrusts directed at America in the form of:

I should have responded with a good "stfu" or "f#$k off" which are commonly used by other users. However, I was destined to attempt to keep the course of this thread on its original path, that of a casual discussion:

A nice way to get people back on subject, right? Wrong again.

(Frog's map)

For Pete?s sake get a grip! I never said insults against Europe, never. Just stop your spouting of blind name-calling right now or I will petition an admin to lock this thread. Can?t I have a discussion with a European without him/her calling me a ?fat Yankee? or a ?nationalistic prick?? I had forgotten just how bad your comments were until I looked back on the course of this thread just now.

There is one large difference between what I post and what you post.

I state my opinion and back it up with information. Look at my posts, I have never used profanity-never!

You state your opinion and then skip the information part and proceed to say why I should never have been born, how America is the most obese country in the world, etc; you do not need to look farther than the list above to see what you have posted about me and/or the USA.

Clean up your language people.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  4. -afi--

-afi-- Well-Known Member

I'm done with this thread. Let's be fucking done with this because:

A) Squirl will never realize that he's wrong.

B) No matter what happens, we'll all only get more and more pissed about this.

Done. Fucking done.

5. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

Shut up afi!

Go on squirl

6. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

Exactly, and you don't subdue to that same logic? You know which is the most dangerous? The stupid person who thinks he's smart.

Cause and effect my friend, it is the effect, your post was the cause, I thought you'd at least be as smart as to follow your own logic?
    What does it have to do with paranoia anyway? Also, do you know what the paranoid's luck is? At least once he'll be right about his paranoia.

Really, you start off by saying: "America has something Europe can only wish they'd have" and you've said things like that in previous threads as well, so I reply by stating "why do you always want to prove America is better than Europe?" I think you're the one that's paranoid if you're offended by that.

I just posed some questions, and you are automatically in the childish defense of trying to fire back those exact same words? "I know you are but what am I?" aren't we a little old for this?

We had the pleasure of reading your rounds of Euro-bashing as well, hell, you even went as far as to say you know Europe better than us (between the lines). You came up with claims of things being in Europe a certain way, while that most certainly wasn't true.

You could, it's your right, but not all users respond like that, luckily. Well, a casual discussion, I think the tone and temperature of the arguments and statements on both sides were a little too harsh to keep it casual, besides, we went offtopic from post 30 or something.

Depends on what the subject is, originally this topic was about booze/money.

Indeed, quite harsh, but you know what's the saddest part, you've actually responded to our postings in a way that illustrates that at large you think like that map. I'm not trying to insult you or something, but it might be better to be open minded about other cultures and the rest of the world instead of calling them inferior or third world countries. I won't lie to you, I've got a limited view of the world as well, but I guess that's called perspective, guess I'm just more open-minded, on the downside of things I can't really deal well with stereotypes and false claimings.

Well, firstly, I guess you never did, but indirectly your comments were insulting, mainly because you claimed to know what things are like here, after which you posted a seriously bent vision of how you thought they are. You gladly portrayed Europe as being a third world series of nations, with retarded civilians, well frankly, you portrayed us as useless and with no importance to the world whatsoever :) Hell, you even respond by quoting anyone you like and calling him A European, as if that's a dirty name or something, instead of calling him his proper name.

Well, I guess the reason people start calling you fat yankee prick is because your way of arguing clearly attacks people at a more personal level than you imagine.

As for the petition for an admin, I doubt you'd succeed in fact, this is freedom of speech, don't forget, Russians value this very highly.

Both sides claim to state facts, so I guess the discussion will last forever?
    Also, don't forget, there are Europeans who haven't uttered any profinities yet either.

Please don't jump on your horse, but read this:
    Re-read your post, and try to put yourself in our place here, your postings show of a subtle arrogance. I'm well aware my posts show a samilar thing, but it's just a countermeasure against other arrogance. When you'd say "**% of the houses in Europe are built of concrete", this might not sound offensive to you, but to us the tone is alot different.

Also, I appreciate you show reason, but starting with subtly (or not so subtly) calling us morons won't help ;)

<Z>

7. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

@ squirl: Calling you a 'prick' was perhaps OTT, but the fact is at various points in this thread you have been extremely arrogant, unbelievably ignorant and, at times, nationalistic to a point where it's quite sickening.

Personally, I dont believe in underhand jibes and remarks, I prefer to say what I feel and be open about it. And that I have done.

If you wish to persist with snide, factless comments, then you can expect to take a verbal battering from the people those comments are aimed at.

If you cant take the heat, stay out of the kitchen as they say...

-glas-

p.s Tonight, when I have the time, I will pick out examples of those attributes you have shown in this thread alone.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2004
  8. squirl

squirl Well-Known Member

This thread appears to have been salvaged.

Topic of discussion in this thread followed by person who changed subject (chronological by post).

1. Cheap alcohol in US. (Allsop)
    2. Cheap alcohol in Poland. (Frog)
    3. Drinking age in countries. (Airfax)
    4. Hinting of a US Government conspiracy. (Allsop)
    5. Mention of bulk buying popular in America. (squirl)
    6. Mention that Europe has some franchises of American bulk-buying stores. (yivan)
    7. Reinstatement that Europe has bulk-buying stores. Appeared offended by my statement. (Zembla)
    8. Nudity on television. (big-jo)
    9. Statement of the implications of buying large quantities of products, coupled with known European homes that have many space-saving innovations for a good reason. (squirl.
    10. Alcoholism. (-afi--)
    11. Mention of European housing and government systems, included an opinion that the European system is better. (Frog)
    12. Talk of different types of governments and how they work. (squirl)
    13. Insistence upon Europe?s superior system. Statements which say that squirl (me) is clueless. Hostility (open hostility, that which is not concealed in any way) begins. (Zembla)
    14. Frog?s map. Included Frog?s view of how the USA views the world. (Frog)
    15. Spuint?s insult. (Spuint)
    16. Discussion on architecture. (Allsop)
    17. Architecture discussion stopped for Zembla?s position on American media. (Zembla)
    18. Gryphn expresses anger about Frog?s map, then Zembla continues on his opinion. (Gryphn)
    19. Small potshots between ?afi--, big-jo, snakeye and spuint.
    20. Economic/Architectural discussion. (squirl)
    21. Global policy discussion. (Allsop)
    22. Frog?s fine. (Frog)
    23. Economic/Architectural discussion. (squirl)
    24. Squirl?s ultimatum for this thread, Zembla replies. (squirl)
    25. Hostility directed at squirl, broken only by a small 12% alcohol beer post.
    26. Squirl posting opinion and data, always met with a post saying squirl is ignorant.
    27. Squirl?s post about the one-sided name-calling in this thread. (squirl)

What will 28 onwards bring? What is certain is that the subject of this thread was changed more than 20 times. A bit of psychology (it is related to this thread):

Psychologists will tell you that the angrier somebody gets, the more likely it is that they will tell the truth. This is mostly due to the fact that a peaceful mind has barriers to what is socially unacceptable to say. When somebody gets angry, these barriers weaken considerably and this will often lead to angry people telling the person whom they are angry with: how they have always thought that they were a terrible person, telling secrets to that person that will only make them angry, what they hate most about that person, racial/sexual/religious slurs, feelings of violence towards that person, willingness to hurt people related to that person? the list goes on.

So, the less people can control their anger, the more likely it is that they will say something hurtful to somebody, even if they would not under other circumstances.

You might have feelings that Americans are fat and lazy snobs that are too arrogant for their own good. In a casual conversation, this would never come out, but once things take a turn for the worse, little is stopping you from saying this.

In other words, your anger has taught me everything I need to know about how Europeans really feel about America.

I hear Americans say how Europe is a great place to visit, how the people are kind and helpful and how beautiful the countries are. However, these are casual events, and the barriers remain in place. For example a French candy storeowner may be cordial to his American customers, but as soon as they leave his shop, he might utter ?rich snobs? under his breath. An American taxi cab driver may be kind to you, but if you do not tip him quite enough, he will have a little bit of hatred towards you after you leave the cab. It is human to do this. I do not hold your beliefs against you, but because of your anger, I now have a lot of information about where you stand.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2004
  9. Zembla JG13

Well, your French candystore owner would be used to French rich snobs, snob is hardly worth mentioning, arrogance is though.

Now to come back to your statement: You must not forget you are not representative of the US, it is you who pissed us off, not Americans, it are your statements we replied to, not America's. Some of us have extreme feelings towards America, others don't, I can be perfectly straighforward with you and tell you how I feel about America. I like America, it's a nice country, really, the Rocky Mountains always got my imagination running, New York, Chicago, Florida, Los Angeles, the lakes up north, the desert down south, really, and that's just the geography. I like Americans as well, I just don't like them when they get all defensive and start throwing misinformed dirt in the general direction of the Europeans. I also don't like Bush, but I guess that's not so uncommon in Europe :)

Also, we are Europeans, but geographically and demographically we still are more diverse, it's easier to generalise on Americans than it is to generalise on Europeans because of this.

So now to re-read your statement, you claim that by this exchange of words you can tell how Europeans feel about America? You are American, but that doesn't make you America :)

<Z>

10. airfax

airfax Well-Known Member

#3 wasn't ment to be read as you did squirl. I didn't mean to handle drinking age as a world wide fact, I just was "amused" about allsops post, in which he mentioned that (free quote) he don't have to buy his alcohol himself. Now, he's 16, right? Legal age to buy alcohol in US is 21, right? So he's not able to buy his alcohol legally, right?

airfax :@drunk:

11. -afi--

-afi-- Well-Known Member

Depending on where you are, buying alchohol can be either incredibly difficult or very easy. Where I am in college, a poorly chalked ID can get you any alchohol you want. It can even say "Under 21" on it, but if the date is changed, you're on easy street.

If you're in a more high-class area, don't even bother. They'll take your ID and call the police.

12. big-jo

big-jo Well-Known Member

you can t buy alcohol with 18 years but yes a automatic gun....it s a BIT amazing for me :dunno:

13. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

You can buy a gun in EU having finished 18 years also...
    but in most countries one needs complex examination report (by a PHD shrink) and a police opinion bout You (here in Poland for example)... some countries give firearms to reserve servicemen... but who cares? If you're a bank security employee You'll probably need a gun and get one legally... If you're an average citizen you probably just don't fuckin bother bout owning a gun... with European criminality levels being few times lower than U.S. ones one can feel safe and guarded, unless he's really stupid or searches for trouble. With hudread millions of firearms being in ppl's hands it wouldn't be so simple.
    And about alcohole- the age limit is set @16 years in Germany AFAIR, so You can't say it's universally 18 in all European countries.

14. airfax

airfax Well-Known Member

@afi, my point was "legally" :)
    @big-jo, I don't know about Spanish practice, but in Finland you can't buy automatic guns at all. Semi-automatic yes (f.e. chinese copy of AK-47), but in those the amount of ammo is limited (AFAIK to 5) and it's illegal to change them to fully automatic. Though different police precints have different practises, here I can't get licence to buy 9mm pistol immediatly. I'd had to have .22 for a year or so first AND be a member to local shooting- or hunting club, plus I'd need recommendations from another two members. In Salo (town my buddy used to study) he would've get licence to 9mm straight away... :)

15. -afi--

-afi-- Well-Known Member

hahaha big-jo, the first time I read that it looked like you were robbing places with a gun :D

16. Zembla JG13

Same in Belgium, all auto's prohibited, semi-auto allowed, and you'd need a proof of good conduct etc, no criminal record etc...

BTW, Alcohol's legal in Belgium from 16 years as well, strong alcohol and liquors are theoretically only available to 18 year olds and on, but nobody really cares.

<Z>

17. airfax

airfax Well-Known Member

In Finland you must 18 to buy alcohol (beer, wines) and age for the strong ones is 20 (IMO, don't remember it, was sooo loooonng time ago) :cheers:
    For smokers, you have to be 18 to buy tobacco here...was earlier 16, but it was raised few years ago.

18. gawong

gawong Well-Known Member

Christiansted, St. Croix U.S. Virgin Islands
    Re: I can do the "Greatest Deal EVER!" one besttter!!!!!!!!!

Oh pleeeeeese, that ain't shit... I live on St. Croix in the United States Virgin Islands. We make cruzan rum in all forms shapes and sizes. We have a 151 proof bottle that I can buy, but unfortunately not ship after 9-11 for about 5 bucks. Most other rums white or dark $2.99 USD. Our most expensive is the single barrel, which sells for $22.00 USD. On the U.S. mainland it probably would sell for about $80-100.00. When tourists visit they take the stuff up by the boxes. We allow 6 bottles duty free. By the way this is no crappy rum, We win world wide competions annually for the best rum in the world. Barcardi (produced in our neighboring Puerto Rico) ain't got sh-t on us. :super:

http://www.cruzanrum.com/home.html

19. Zembla JG13

Re: I can do the "Greatest Deal EVER!" one besttter!!!!!!!!!

I've got the feeling mr. Gawong, don't know why, and I'm at a loss if I need to explain how comes I think it, but I've got this feeling I'll someday set foot on Virgin Islandic soil ;)

<Z>

20. big-jo

big-jo Well-Known Member

i was talking about USA, i watched a news in TV :a law that has expired and hasn t renewed it or something thus, and now anyone can buy that type of gun by 300$

btw i dont see any sense to automatic guns, this isn t the fucking western of cowboys and indians

btw 2 i thought legal age for alcohol was the same in whole europe, thx for explanation :)