Round exhaust exits vs fishtail

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by black hornet, Feb 21, 2012.

1. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

Have you been through the case with the moon programme and Saturn V yet? 'couse I'm pretty curious what the americanos have to say about "going with what works" in that case :)

2. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

Great pics ALW !!!!

Notice on "Polar Bear" the discoloration along the fuselage? That's boundary layer attachment. NOT THRUST !

If they staggered the exhausts tips; high and lower 15 degrees from horizontal they would have gotten even higher top speed effects. Even one inch further outboard to the fuselage staggering the stacks would improve the top speed.

Yes, notice the 109 flat roof panel. That's a production short-cut.

The pent-roof of the early P-51s will reduce drag and have less probability of drag increasing vortex generation from the high angles of a flat, nearly flat roof panel.

Actually as "ugly" as the 109 is, aerodynamically it is not that bad.

The flush rivet Paris Air Show of 1939 model, was a very fast and beautiful low mono wing single seat airplane, if not the fastest.

Guns and armor and hard points really ruin the performance of these planes... :D

3. black hornet

black hornet Well-Known Member

Pent up roof adds aerodynamics. Source please? the purpose of the bubble was to attain rear view, not aerodynamic improvements, we already covered that.

& these comments about boundary layer are from you, not from an engineer, please provide a legit reference.

The aerodynamic boundary layer was first defined by Ludwig Prandtl in a paper presented on August 12, 1904 at the third International Congress of Mathematicians in Heidelberg, Germany.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boundary_layer

Whats a "Pent up" roof anyways?

pent-up - characterized by or showing the suppression of impulses or emotions; "her severe upbringing had left her inhibited"; "a very inhibited young man, anxious and ill at ease"; "their reactions were partly the product of pent-up emotions"; "repressed rage turned his face scarlet"

Early WWII fighters had streamlined canopies flushed into the airframe to reduce drag. Thats why it called a flush canopy. The 109 was flat for aerodynamics, not budget cuts. Wherever did you get that idea?

http://www.defence.pk/forums/military-history-strategy/125188-aircraft-canopies.html

Last edited: Mar 15, 2012
  4. looseleaf

Well professor Hornet,

May I direct your attention to my post where it is clearly noted that I said "pent-roof" NOT "pent-up".

Perhaps it is you in your hubris that you made this "Freudian slip" ?

Now that spring time is near, perhaps less time in front of the computer and more time out of doors and going after some women....:zzz:

If cannot understand those streaks on the side of the airplane, then go and do some more studying. But not before you find a girlfriend....

you are too "pent-up" :D

5. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Ten thousand years ago a boy asked his dad, "Dad, why is dust all over those smooth, wind-blown stones even though the wind is blowing like hell up here, on this windy mount?"
    Dad said, "Well, son, that is boundary layer attachment."
    Son "We should patent it!"
    "No, Son, we are stone age cave men, not Yankees. That is far away in the future. Lets just call it natural, or The Gods, and not try to exploit it. Now, get busy, scrub those rocks boy!"

6. looseleaf

:@prayer:

7. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Come to my google+ thingie. I need some +s. I write plenty in there but the Google+ being mostly just lowly 'college grads' from the states, do not, or can not or will not give me any +s.
    I think 'college educated ' means, in the states, "I memorized some stuff for four years and now that I am all finished, I am going to regress back to my former state of stupid bliss, with my degree [and forget everything I was recited about the names of the presidents and the French I can't speak]."
    I like to use Google+ to loose my opinions, but the yanks looking at my stuff are all 'college educated' and few or none of them have a fuckin brain.
    That is why I will not stop haunting this place, it is free and is not dominated by stupid college educated Yankees who cannot handle even knowing there are men who enjoy [deleted].
    Sorry OT. Ignore this.

8. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Funny thing about that. 10,000 years ago, the earth was covered with water. Even if there was dust, dust still settles everywhere, even if the wind has blown. And a boundary layer attachment is a reference for liquids, as opposed to a dry material substance of non-liquid nature. And you cannot patent a natural resource like dust since it's a natural element. I don't know if wagonburners would be familiar with Yankees since they didn't know how to play baseball. But, I can't say the Yankees care about dust. They just want to play ball. :D

9. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Yah, I know. Interesting facts. But, the very first P-38 was the fastest aircraft (XP-38, top speed of 360mph) and more highly developed and researched, and in record time than any other prop fighter of the day, even through the end of the war. It was ahead of it's time in aerodynamics (as seen in examples of MODERN aircraft today). It was an under estimated and mis-understood aircraft with way under rated performance results from lockheed and USAF tests. This was Jan 1939. (And before project paperclip;) ).

[​IMG]

10. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Dunno, I think they are more concerned about quality transportation of people on the ground in their buses than worrying about a space program. I think that sometime in the future that may be an option for them. :mafia:

11. looseleaf

OH Yeah !!! Look at that baby! Definitely built for speed.

Kelly Johnson knew his stuff.. air inlets in the right places, great nose cones... :D ....

:@prayer:

12. black hornet

Ok, mr pent roof, when we gonna get those engineers statements?

13. looseleaf

:zzz:

14. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

get g-14 or g-10.
    i''l show you it with yak-3 or spit-14. :turret:

15. black hornet

There you go, proof you can't supply any legit data. Perhaps you should spend more time with Richard Simmons if you've nothing credible from legit sources to support these bizarre assertions of yours.

16. looseleaf

Perhaps you do some actual studying rather that parrot what someone else says. Repeating things that you cannot understand is religion, not science.

Just another anal retentive who needs to impress his own belief structure on others.

You are truly boring.

:zzz: :zzz: :zzz:

17. mumble

mumble Well-Known Member

Don't take an "American college education" too seriously. I don't anymore. It's a joke. I still can't figure out why people send their kids from foreign countries here, unless it has something to do with gaining an understanding of American "culture".

18. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

I was home-schooled. And glad I was. I never went to college, glad I didn't. Most people end up with loans for education in a field that doesn't apply.

19. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

I did that!
    Couple times.
    Uh no, um....
    ... three times

20. black hornet

Saying things you don't understand is even less credible than dodging the query of providing engineers testimony.