Dev's, for pete's sake do something about the P-38!!

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by Red Ant, Oct 7, 2004.

1. -cbfs-

-cbfs- Well-Known Member

Where the flowers bloom like madness in the spri-i
    HAH! This thread turned into a mudslinging contest as soon as it started mate! As for gryphon, he can contribute anything he likes, yes, but he must understand that he can spend a few fucking seconds making his posts readable!

I'm only asking for some 'forum common sense'. How would you like it if everyone posted huge blocks of text, with terrible grammar (if he was not from US, UK, I wouldn't speak... but he is) and (to add some more spice) not have any spaces between the words.

FYI, I think 'Pure Lameness' is a far more serious thread.

:)

btw gryph, post #134 is a good sign - keep it up (please)

2. kangaa

kangaa Well-Known Member

Pull your head in cbfs ...What shit is this since when do we pick on people for grammer and spelling????????? Gryphon puts some thought into his posts unlike most of us who just react to what others say...why not take a look at allsop's posts also from the us.

3. ozemale6t9

ozemale6t9 Well-Known Member

For FiretrUCKS sake......I don't see you flying off the handle when people hijack these threads in polish or russian or spanish or go'auld, so I don't see why poor spelling or grammar should be a problem.

regards, Oz

4. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

Personally, Im with cbfs. It doesnt require too much effort to correct his mistakes, and I think it is only fair that if you want people to read and respond to your posts, then you should make the effort so that they can understand what you write without getting a headache.

That said, his posts are usually good. It's just a shame it takes me about 3 times longer, and a helluva lot of effort, to read them.

5. -cbfs-

-cbfs- Well-Known Member

@Kangaa: I'm simply expecting a grown man to write down his own language correctly, I don't think I'm asking much. In gold vs red planes 'discussions', rarely any thought is being put in the posts.

People simply recycle everything from threads started a couple years ago. They can PM the developers instead of coming here and expecting everyone to agree. Allsop's posts are even worse, but I can at least read them a tad easier. Gryph's posts simply make my eyes hurt.

I read somewhere that if words are 'close' to their correct spelling, we can still understand them. So scrap that. He can at least press 'Enter' once every 4 lines of text.

@ozemale: What the heck is 'go'auld'? Anyway... What you say happens pretty rarely and people usually laugh about it. Since I don't even know the languages, it doesn't bother me (because it's usually cursing).

BUT! I was talking to gryphon (not you) and his posts are always like that. Do you find them easy to read? Please tell me. I don't think I'm being paranoid or anything, but if he changes the current situation I would really really appreciate it.

:kruto:

6. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

No, I don't find them particularly easy to read. But I know that some people just have difficulty with spelling, and that certainly doesn't warrant personal attacks.

:confused:
    Care to elaborate?

7. -cbfs-

-cbfs- Well-Known Member

Like I said, you could scrap his spelling - it's the 'fearsome block of text' that I find most difficult to come to terms with. And it's not an attack - more like lots of frustration. I suppose I could have been milder. Next time.

:rose:

As for the elaboration, read my previous post on what I think about 'plane performance threads'. It can be done oh-so-much-more-discretely... After all (like it or not) it's the developers that determine what you're gonna fly in FHL vx.xx. Better talk to them.

:)

Last edited: Oct 24, 2004
  8. alec

alec Well-Known Member

Actually I liked gryphon posts they way they were. A new form of typed communication, passing the speech part. Directly from thoughts to internet :)
    Somehow inspiring, and very emotional.

One sane thought I saw last 2 pages is about WB 2.77. Never actually tried it, but could be right.

9. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

Gryphon, I see you're trying to filter out the typos nowadays, you're doing your best, and that's great! Really, your freedom to speak has always been there, don't feel held back when someone criticises your spelling. The spelling is just to easen up the communication, what's more important is the content, and that doesn't usually let us down. But I see you're putting effort into re-reading your posts these days, wtg!

<Z>

10. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

Why should we have to re-prove that the spitfire defies gravity? thers allready 2 threads showing real tests in the FH arena.....If you cant find them, then its not my fault.....so as you said, put up or shut up.

11. ledada

ledada Well-Known Member

cockpit-views

i have not the slightest idea, how the rear-view has been in p38...
    but i don't think, your screenshots can prove, that the six-view is modelled for disadvantage in wb2.7 more than in other sims.
    first, all the owl-like 180°-views are only possible for latex-pilots in wb2.7, you should have taken a half-six view instead.
    then i have taken comparable views of wb2.7 and il2-fb in p38-j, and i can find only the position of the pilot is a little deeper in wb2.7 than in wb3 or il2?
    at least i wonder, if someone here were to model a new one in 3d?

anyway, this was less for the p38-discussion, but for the problem to get some cockpit-feeling in general when modelling.

Attached Files:

12. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

I am putting up. :help:

You said the spit can roll 50 feet and go in to a vertical climb to 1000 feet. I said your talking bullshit and I tested it myself to prove it. I did find you were talking crap, now it's up to you prove that what you say is true, or else lose face.

Or is the fact that it's impossible to do proving to be a bit of a stumbling block?

13. Snakeye

Snakeye Well-Known Member

Allsop, just make a track where you take off in 50ft and go vertical

14. Helrza

Helrza Well-Known Member

Okie Dokie, lets talk P-38.

Since this thead opened, we have seen alot of ppl say how shit p-38 is, and others have said that it is good. well, wa better way to find out than to fly it. during the last week and a half, i have flown under a different nic (all appologies to my squaddies, but i got some new stuff to teahch u all :) ) and flew nothing but the P-38L. I still havnt flown the 2 other varients, but next TOD ill give them both tests, and then compare.

Wat can i say about P-38L? im addicted. It is one hell of a plane to fly, and every sortie is interesting :)

How i used it, well, it was famed for having a long range, and its good for exactly that. If u enjoy hunting, and dont mind the long ranges, then u will enjoy this plane. i always flew manually, never using the auto angle or climb, and when up to alt (as allsop said, 14k is a good place to be flyin) i was quite impressed at how good she goes. it rolls quite fast (nothing like she does when its low), and the speed of the p38L when it gets up to pace, she goes like the clappers. several times ive been up to full speed (without wep), laughin my ass off as in level flight, as i pulled in a 190, gave him a good serving of lead, and flew on straight as they fell flaming.

Now, alot of ppl say she is shitty in a turning fight, i had it turnfighting with 109's, 190's, and on a few occasions ki84's. wat can i say about it, fukin hell yeah :) scissorin from 10k ft down to the deck is fun, but in the 38, its pure adrenalin. here is a plane that requires ALOT of flap, dive break, and rudder work to keep inside that axis turning circle, and if u work out the timing of it all, u will be rewarded. BUT, on a finer note, alot of my kills in it were from dropping in from alt, or B&Z.

ok, ive only got 4 minutes before i goto work, so read threw wat ive put down, ill try and think of more things to write on it at work :)

15. Zembla JG13

Sorry for the OT, but, damn, I'm about to go to bed and you're about to go to work... :eek:

<Z>

16. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

Trust a fuckin Pole to say in one sentence what I said in about 5 :rolleyes:

:D

17. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

Basically, what I read from that is that you are putting in that extra bit of effort that was required from an RL pilot of the P38, in order to turn his plane from a good one to a very good one.

The P38 is a good plane, but like the 110 on Gold side it requires alot of effort. Just ask sonar ;)

Btw, good post mate. And g'day! ;)

18. gryphon

gryphon Well-Known Member

;) lol i was sure p38 was worst fighter in here. But i take that back now.
    two days ago roster was 3 to 1 and i was bored with fling only russin for a tod so went gold. ussaly i fly 190 110 or zeke. i love all 3. but this time i decided to take a 109gr6-6...That right? because ive heard from frog more then once that its his favrite plane.

So what happens? i climb to f3 4k see a red go to dive bomb, and dive in after him. the result? its a la 7, he out dives me i try to pull out slight roll and fall inbehind him on his zoom climb. Nope not happening. tottal control freaze like in p40. 500kmph and she just wont turn untill i bead off most my e. finnaly got her turned rolled and ready to dive. la is now on 3rd passs threw ack straffing 0 bombs left and gets pk.

Lol "god" i go. "this plane sucks"! so then put her onto a steep atuo climb to regan the advanage i lost by not knowing my plane. 4 min later ping. wtf!!! jerk stick, chaeak 6, p38 on the top of a stall climb, passes behind me from lo 12. lucky me. Wait a mintie thats a p38 and im 109! "yeah baby".

she rolls into dive. i roll in after, pushing my plane into compresion and ussing trimtabs to stay out of water at bottom of dive and get my first rude lesson. P38 walks away from 109g6 :(.

Chased him 1/2 to 1 and say screw it. im 109 ill out climb him at 3. he needs to come back this way to rtb and 3 is closed anyway. so i climb again and watch for a li. watch for new cons from n and watch his dot at 1. Hmmmm.... Im not out climbing him?!

we do this for 5 minutes. field 3 pops. and here he comes. At this point im very unhappy with my ride. i know hell outrun me and i got a turn issue, im over my own field. co alt. slow and with 3 20mms. :D oh yea lets HO this basterd!

result of ho 1 12mm me 2 20mm fuel leek him. :( damn. imeditly i climb and stay on corse away he does same. Now im really not likeing my plane and getting new respect for p38. im finally winning some alt but not as much as id like.

we swing around again and dont remeber what i did but i got the advantge and he dove again, but started his dive at a slower speed then i was so i stayed with him. land 2 more 20mm and p38 goes into evasive. "Good" i think, " if hes evading he cant out run me."

now i learn my second leason, and have leared to dispise my choice of plane. He starts a small sizor opens it up and i cant follow. wrestel her around finaly and catch back up. he then emiditlly pulls into a hard flat turn. around we go 3 4 5 6 slower and slower. and still now flaps im staling out wings wabling all over trieng to draw a bead far enoght in front. i hit 1 more 20mm and 3 12s. thats it. my 109s bucking like a bronko and hes going around nice and steadyly on his flaps. this was how fight ended. out of 20mms when f1 came around my 12 again, i rolled out wepped and crused on home. he rolled out the other way. to get airspeed and distance before we reingaged but. id had enogh. and no ammo.

Oh btw wtg donnil :) lol turned out to be a squade mate. But now i cant in good contious say that p38 is the worst turn fighter in game. it was both faster lvl and more stable on the turn then my 109g6.

But then again. I never fly 109 after 190 and 110 are both out. so maby it was my disfamierarity with the 109, and dons skill in p38 that he likes to fly :)~.

OH and @ frog. Sorry man but your farvit planes sucks. hard to control dive. unstable turns. and has hard time running down p38 and beatting it in alt contest....Or maby its just the pilot :)

19. -cbfs-

-cbfs- Well-Known Member

The R6 variant is seriously flawed compared to its 'light' brothers, test again!

:D

(I think it was also Zem's favourite ride, but that was when dinos walked the earth)

20. Zembla JG13

Yeah, well, the G2R6 was brilliant, it got tweaked, it was a UFO, the Russians didn't like that, changed it to a flying garbage truck. Couple of versions ago the trick was to expend all 7mm (which is useless when you've got more 20mm's muzzles than 7mm barrels), after expending all 7mm it would fly a little like it's former self again. A little only though. I remember the days when things were different, but hey, so it goes :)

<Z>