Refugee crisis

Discussion in 'Off Topic International' started by -frog-, Mar 11, 2022.

1. rgreat

rgreat FH Developer

https://www.euronews.com/2021/11/16/families-mourn-young-migrants-who-died-at-belarus-poland-border
    Water cannon. In November. Without access to a warm place.
    These must be some kind of different type of immigrants.
    Subhumans (tm) maybe?

https://tass.com/world/1386791?utm_...m_campaign=google.com&utm_referrer=google.com

:@popcorn:

Last edited: Mar 13, 2022
    mcgru- likes this.
  2. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

Your informer had charges for beating up his own mother in Poland (and more recent for DUI).
    No wonder, he defected.

The other thing is - I never said I had anything against those poor tourists Belarus invited.
    They should have been accepted, fed, treated and then deported back to Belarus immediately.
    What our government did is a shame, and crime.

What your does is war crime, and genocide.

looseleaf likes this.
  3. -Shai-

-Shai- Well-Known Member

read Archer's message again
    and better lets daughter learning russian. or AK-74.

btw no sales, only gifts. we're not americans

4. mcgru-

mcgru- Well-Known Member

+1 to rgreat

so you name your govt also as dickheads? OK :)

looseleaf likes this.
  5. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

I did not elect them.
    I do believe they're not only dickheads, but also a bunch of greedy thieves.
    They are responsible for some hundred deaths at the border, but they're also responsible for large proportion of COVID deaths in Poland (and I am speaking of tens of thousands here), which could be easily avoided, if they were not allied with the anti-vaccine movements.

And I won't be facing 15 years in labour camp for saying that :)

looseleaf likes this.
  6. OldUncles

OldUncles Well-Known Member

Hi, Vasco. When you write "your guy," do you refer to Biden, Scholz, or someone else?

(Sorry, I'm kind of autistic.)

7. OldUncles

These discussions are so much fun ;) Not trying to make light of the situation, but as a Libra, the zodiacal sign (one of my ex-girlfriends examined my "stars" at great cost [I paid for it]), I prefer to avoid conflict if at all possible.

8. mcgru-

mcgru- Well-Known Member

me too :)

vasco likes this.
  9. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

*frowning*
    Biden, you yankee american!

Last edited: Mar 16, 2022
  10. OldUncles

Ha, Vasco. Well I like what -frog- called me recently: Turbo American(TM). Although I can't remember what the context was, I took the meaning to be that my family has not long been in the USA, and that being raised here -- as opposed to the old Euro country or countries -- has resulted in me being infected with a rather virulent form of Americanism. (Just joking around, -frog-.) But it's an interesting term. Guess it could also mean just a stereotypical American type, who's got a limited understanding of the world, etc.

One thing I've been thinking about these days. Back in the 1980s, the western governments had better quality advisors. Academics and a wide range of historians, linguists and "intellectuals" who had a good, not perfect but fairly objective understanding of what the Soviet Union was doing. What the motivations behind the actions were, who the key personalities involved were, and so on.

But as you know, after the end of the USSR and the late 1940s-to-1990s Cold War ended, most in the West felt that they had "won," the *End of History and the New Man* by Fukuyama and all that bullshit. So the universities and other educational institutions in the West began to downsize their Washington-sponsored support for studying Slavic languages, Eastern European history, etc.

Just one piece of the puzzle.

11. OldUncles

You see, Reagan and most presidents were pretty well informed about Soviet humor and information (despite what some of his detractors may say). In the early 1980s I was a subscriber to “Новое Русское Слово”, a Russian-language newspaper (weekly) from New York, which always had a section with current анекдоты. It was a good exercise to try and understand them. A long time before millions of Russian-speakers moved to Brooklyn.

Once a man appeared at my door, asking if I had really subscribed to the newspaper. He had the copy that was supposed to be delivered to my home ;) I thanked him and said yes, took the paper from him. Still remember the name he used which may have been true or not. Once I rented a hotel room in Atlanta, GA, USA, using that guy's name, because it just seemed funny to me at the time. Even funnier because my ID didn't match but the clerk didn't give a shit. (There was a lot of prostitution and drug activity at that hotel.)

mcgru- likes this.
  12. mcgru-

mcgru- Well-Known Member

13. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

During a fishing trip to the Danube Delta, in the 80's, we stayed at this old lady's. She was a Russian (her ancestors came from Russia some centuries ago, there's a strong Russian community in the Delta).
    And the bed in which I slept in, for a week, was the bed in which Khruschev had slept, during a hunting trip there, 20 years earlier.
    There we were, Khruschev and I, in the same bed, thinking about how to kill more of the Delta's fauna.

14. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

Turbo american, to me it sounds like the improved version :D

I called you "yankee american" as a precaution, since Ol' Biles here protested at calling only los estadounidenses "americans" and not the canadians.
    I will not give him any satisfaction by calling him an "american" tho. :D

15. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

Nah - I use the term "Turbo-American" to refer to those "1st generation Americans" that are "overdoing" it.
    Had a friend and a neigbour back in 1980s. Once the martial law restrictions were lifted here, in 1984 or 1985, his parents (both professional musicians) decided to move to U.S.
    I remember his father as a typical "Kowalski", but once they moved (they used to visit "the old country" every now and then, so we ceased seeing each other only after I went to the University) he became a "Turbo-Jones". They had another two children in the U.S. and the father used to drill them, then 3-year olds, in the Pledge of Allegiance.
    They had pictures of a huge platform they used to decorate for July 4th.
    They even claimed that Pulaski Day is a celebration for those, who "didn't make it", completely cutting themselves off their Polish roots (or at least trying to make everyone believe it).

And, of course, their Polish became so "americanized" you could barely listen to them.

16. OldUncles

! Now that's wild. But look on the bright side -- it's not as bad as what happened with the Aral Sea. Upstream industrial pollution, rivers harnessed for hydroelectic power and irrigation of desert lands in Central Asia, etc. Similar to the western USA, where the mighty Colorado River has been whored out to every human population downstream, sucked dry by agriculture in otherwise arid lands... By the time it exits into the Pacific it's like an old man with a bad prostate -- not much piss left for the pot ;) Kazakhstan has projects trying to restore the Aral. But certainly that's a difficult if not not impossible task.

So Vasco, what did Khruschev say to you the morning after? :)

vasco likes this.
  17. OldUncles

Understood :) Yeah, the term American is a bit too generic. But in common usage, the vernacular, everyone understands...

18. OldUncles

OK, I guess that does sound a bit like my upbringing. We did a lot of marching around with US flags, etc. But my father refused to speak German with me, for example. My grandparents did speak German with me. But my father had the living shit beat out of him when he arrived here in the states as a boy, because he was German, so he had a "reluctance" to use that language.

We had many Polish guys in New York when I was a kid. One of my good friends was a Slowik, and there was a crazy guy named Ratkowski. Then there were Jewish Poles with names like Slobatski (an amazingly hot girl in 9th grade) or Warshavski.

Kowalski always reminds me of Marlon Brando:

19. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

Something about Brezhnev having no balls, didn't get it right at the time.

20. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

Just like Afghanistan: The Russians are looking for the people who invited them

Red Ant, -frog- and vasco like this.