Decide what to drive!

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by Allsop, Oct 29, 2004.

?

Which Car should I buy?

Poll closed Feb 5, 2005.
  1. Toyota Celica

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Chevrolet S-10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Some Pre 1972 Classic Car

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  4. Something else "enclose in your post"

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

Aero? That was plymouths Idea of a NASCAR or some super over racer....A 19 inch nose cone and a 25 "i think?" inch wing all on a Plymouth roadrunner made it a superbird....and to answear your question, its got a hemi.

Id still rather have the 1970 AAR Cuda, bwtf, everyone to his and hers own.

2. Kari

Kari Well-Known Member

:super: :super: :super: :super: :super: :super: :super: :super: :super: :super: :super: :super: :super: :super: :super: :super: :super: :super: :super:

Hint Hint Hint zembla :D

3. sebbo

sebbo Well-Known Member

@ Allsop: First of all, we don't have straight, open roads in Holland. Our A-roads (comparable to US interstates) are rather curved and very busy. The Dutch police used to have Porsche 911's but they got rid of them a few years ago. Too expensive, and what do you need a 280 kmph top speed for when there isn't a single road that suports such speeds? :)

Besides, the police've got ultralight airplanes, helicopters and Cessna's now... There isn't a car in the world that can outrun a BO105 :)

4. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

Sebbo, your looking at this bass akwards, NO road supports high speed other than MAYBE the autoban, what you need to do Is build a car that IT suppots "280km/h' and then just put it on the roads....You dont think my 1970 AAR Cuda with a hot 340 could make a turn while going balls to the wall? Hint Hint AAR stands for All American Racing....

And alot of these cars took wins at Lemans, which is a very technical track.
    1966-1969 The GT40 took 4 wins kicking Ferrari's ass. Which at the time it was a statement because europ teased the phrase "wins the race till the first turn".....Dont give up so soon on the cars, Remember, the Ford Galaxys kicked even Camaro ass for a few years.

"white is the gt40, red is ferrari, if you couldnt tell."

5. sebbo

sebbo Well-Known Member

The biggest problem is with the capacity of Dutch roads. Every "Autosnelweg" (dutch for "Autobahn") is SWAMPED with traffic, which is why agility is a heck of lot more important than speed over here :) Fact of the matter is that there isn't a stretch of asphalt here where you can drive over 150 kmph during daytime.

In such a case, you want a small car, not some muscle-car. :) That's my point, without going down into this big old USA-cars vs. European-cars debate. They're two completely different worlds.

6. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

You dont think we have crowded roads around here? HAHAHA! Stupid kids race their POS's with their coffie can mufflers in the middle of traffic almost crashing all the time! "Ya I hate those kids too, when I drive ill be the rat who follows them and reports them to the police, no fuckers ruining my driving experience".

But the point is, If a car can reach 300mph in a quarter mile, then you could definitly have a monster that rips to 190 on your roads.....Remember, theres no replacement for displacement....

7. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

It doesn't, I never said it does. However, a turbo is in relation a better engine improvement than increasing the displacement.

Please, go ask an engineer :)

<Z>

8. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

Zembla JG13
    " Awwww... that's not true.

It looks ordinary, that's a great advantage to me. Engine sound is brilliant, have you ever heard one? You can hear the V8 perfectly fine. Displacement, I don't care much about this. The Bi-turbo's do more than the displacement."

Zembla, I belive the sentence "The Bi-turbo's do more than the displacement." is insinuating that you mean to suggest that twin turbos will increase the engine displacement...Maybe not what you ment, but its what you said.....Then even worse, you try to say that we dont know what a turbo does!......Man o man, you cant talk yourself out of ignorance but just dug your self a deeper hole.

Do you know what a waiste gate is? Or a blow off valve? Do you even fully understand the concept of a turbo?

Bad Idea to get in my face about "ignorance" to autos.......Just admit up to your stupidity that the only way to increase displacement is to bore your block, mill your heads, or "stroke" your engine. That is without adding cylinders the only ways known to man......Unless your just going for a big number, then you euro people with the "metric system" would take a 350 and make it like, a 55000cc engine, haha, 350 just rolls off the tounge better.

9. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

Oh, about a turbo doing more for an engine than displacement, once agian you are wrong....Turbos do add power and torque, but theres something a turbo wont do that displacement does, and thats MAD AMOUNTS OF TORQUE.

Most turbo systems benifit from high engine RPMs and give you much more horsepower, but more specificly, top end power....like the kind you dont see till your on the freeways and roads you claim europ doesnt have where you can watch that needle climb twords redline.

While displacement will give you so much torque you may have to go buy a new pressure plate for your clutch every day....Thats why say, something like a Buick, or some other big block car with something with a displacement of damn near 500 cubes or bigger, can make over 500 foot pounds of torque, and maybe not over 300 ponys..why? Because unlike a turbo that just helps the engine cycle more powerfully and effiecently, displacement gives a massive amout of movement and area that translates into that poor crankshaft getting mauled all over......You dont feel HP, you feel torque.......

Your statement is incorrect, because displacement does more for an engine than a turbo.....especiallly where you can feel it. Why else would drag cars use 600-800 cube engines instead of a "bi-turbo" 1.6-2.0L 4 cyl? Because they arnt what makes your chassis twitch and flutter to the end of the track.

10. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

I dont profess to know anything about cars or engines, but I would have thought that '600 cubes' would be 600cc (cubic centimetres), which is about the power of a hairdryer....sorta.

Hmmm, just as well I only drive the things.

11. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

600cubes as In cubic Inches, and unless my math is really f****d up then 600ci doesnt equal 600cc.......Notice my hole use of the phrase "metric system" hell if I know what 600ci is in cc's unless I break out a conversion table.

12. airfax

airfax Well-Known Member

Yes it does, at least in Porsche. (tested and loved it)

Great comparison, wtg.....

airfax :@drunk:

13. HJM---

HJM--- Well-Known Member

Not going to discuss with u, but change your tone kid....

BTW. u know as much about engines or cars as an ordinary 16 years old kid...

14. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

HJM, seeing as how your not an admistrator, I suggest you look at my signiture. BITE MY SHINY METAL ASS!

Now back to people that arnt on a power trip, a Porshe is hardly a "torque machine". True turbos do really raise your powerband and extend it probably far beyond what the engine would otherwise reach. But by ramming air Into the engine, you are just making a better combustion, and assuming that all turbos in cars today use good intercoolers, your using cold air wich further aids a good near Ideal combustion. But if you review engine software, or just look around at dyno charts for advertised results of a turbo, you will see that If you were to add a turbo, or stroke your engine, odds are the stroking is going to increase your torue allot further, but also lessen you gass milage.

Think of it this way, a car with a v8 with a 4 inch stroke has alot of displacement, because even though say the piston may be 3.75 inches wide, its that area by the 4 inches for volume per cylinder. While an engine that may create just as good top speed could have a smaller displacement, such as a 12cyl with a 2inch stroke "ive seen them", but they will not make near the same numbers for torque......

I seriously considered buying a 1978 Porse :) $1500 u.s., but I dont think I could afford the parts and maitinance.

15. Kutya

Kutya Banned

Hehe, I gotta like him car guy! OMW to bite that shiny ass...

16. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

Heres some cool Stuff! Come see It folks, First I have an Aero-car, goodway to avoid traffic, Then checking out a jappenese car lot I found this thing on sale, its green, but I bet it turns lots of heads....Then my assortment of jet powered vehicles. The VW bug goes over 150mph in the quarter, and the truck tops 350mph!

17. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

Your ramming your head off a brick wall mate, he's just an angst ridden teen.

Tho he talks more bullshit than most.

18. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

Bullshit!? Can you smell that!? It must be your upper lip!

Its not good to talk about something , or point the finger when your guilty yourself.....What can I say, American Schools teach us unordinarily amounts of ways to be mouthy and give people verbal fights......its great isnt it? :)

19. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

In a straw poll, I would guesstimate that 90% or more of the regular forum users would agree with me.

So it's fair to say that, yeah, you talk bullshit ;)

20. vojtas

vojtas Well-Known Member

soooo we're not talking anymore bout cars? :rolleyes: