Decide what to drive!

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by Allsop, Oct 29, 2004.

?

Which Car should I buy?

Poll closed Feb 5, 2005.
  1. Toyota Celica

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Chevrolet S-10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Some Pre 1972 Classic Car

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  4. Something else "enclose in your post"

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

Dunno about elsewhere, but 'cabriolet' over here is a generic term for any car that is a 'convertible'. Personally, if I lived in the US I would take a Lada, Skoda, Kia....in fact ANYTHING that was a 'roof-down' car ;)

Btw, there is a joke over here...

What do you call a Lada with a sunroof and twin exhausts?
    A wheelbarrow

:D :D

2. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

Oh forgot to add...

My car right now is a Vauxhall Corsa, 1.2l 16v. I have a 70 mile round trip just to get to a train station to get me to work every day (what a shit...).

A full tank (Ј35 - approx ?45 - approx $54) lasts me 5 days travelling to work (350 mls) and running about all weekend with my kid (about 100 mls).

Not bad for fuel economy ;)

Shame the fuel prices here are so crap (Ј.85p per litre) :(

3. bazura

bazura Well-Known Member

I like 1979 Lancia Delta. This is the integrale (4x4) version. I like its design; actually, I don't know if it is a good or bad car in general. Sure it was a great rally car, though.
    [​IMG]

For the rest, german probably, but for design, I like italian :).

greetings

4. beryl

beryl Well-Known Member

Old Delta Roxxx!
    Afair corsa 1.2 is better than 1.4 (1.4 is older engine)
    Big-Jo - i've checked at some citroen fansites, 1.9 BX could have even 147HP (16v GTi version) or even 200 (GTi turbo), but i didn't ever see GTi. Normal 1.9 had 105HP, our was version "Sport" with 126HP :) damn rocket

for these who don't know how BX looks (shame on you!)

[​IMG]

Pluszak,z sylwetki podobny do Poloneza,nie? ;)

Last edited: Oct 30, 2004
  5. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

About the Imports suck thing.....Its not "imports" its "high performance". Even In america a set of high flow fuel injectors for a Ford 5.0L Mustang runs around 500-800$. BMW parts are so expensive in America because there have yet to be any LARGE stores or outlets that carry parts at a surplus.

Moving on, I could never afford a WRX not even in 5 years and would rather have a Mitsubishi Lancer Evo8 than a WRX.

Half these cars you guys list are rarities over here in the U.S. and would cost about 5k dollars for some of them, outside of my budget is what I mean to say...80-115HP, In a family Car? Id rather Have the Celica with 115 or 130 in the GT version. Kia sux, Hyundai sux, suzuki sux, any other lil jap/korian/bla bla car maker that makes cheap cars that run forever are exactly what they are....cheap peaces of fiberglass that run forever, not a performance car.

If it wernt for the price of parts Id try to find a Peugot, I really dig rally racing and my favorite team is now the Peugot factory team.

By and large, Toyota is the only forieghn market car dealer I support, Other than High performance Makers like BMW or Peugot.

:) I apreaciate the help, but honestly guys, try to think "cheap" in america, not "cheap" in europe.....but now that you got me wondering, Im going to see if any peugots' in the area are up for sale in my price range and see how much the replacement parts cost.

6. big-jo

big-jo Well-Known Member

peugot 206 cabrio or convertible is good for :UU: but one more time it would be too much expensive for you, then, what you want, a 205?? very ugly...search that celica :)

7. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

So Allsop, what did you mean by the 'cabriolet' thing?

8. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

First off, as far as ::giggidy giggidy:: getting it on, the Celicas are hatch backs with a fold down rear seat....things could be done....

As far as the Cabriotlet thing, I just ment that here in America only preppie confused high school girls drive them.....plus the years I could afford dont offer the VR6, and finally, its like a gayer GTI and Im not fond of convertibles to begin with...Nothing personal.

Now assuming these pictures I tried to upload get posted, the cars are as follows "you should be able to tell" Theres a 1991 Celica GT "probably the car im buying", A 1970 AAR Cuda "my dream car", "and a really nice 1960 GMC pickup that i hope one day mine will look like after I restore it.

9. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

Well as I said, I would drive about in a bucket if it had an engine, 4 wheels and no roof. Which is pretty much what a lada/skoda is ;)

Even in this goddamn freezin climate.

Maybe im claustrophobic...:rolleyes:

10. tigrou

tigrou Well-Known Member

i like the pickup allsop :)
    the cars i like are not fastest car, but well disigned. for japan cars, maybe they are good but w/o personnality.

11. vojtas

vojtas Well-Known Member

What i'm saving money now for is something like this , and i plan to tune it up real good

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

or ...

[​IMG]

12. reuben

reuben Well-Known Member

If you want performance, Why not a SAAB 9000 2.3 liter Turbo?
    NOT the low pressure turbo, the big one.
    Get an AERO, all is fixed brakes, susps, and so on.
    It's got 225Hp from the factory, and those cars are nice to drive, and reliable also.
    The 2.3 without turbo has 150hp.

Yes, I like the 9000. And might be a bit partial. But theyr're good cars.

-->My old lady drives a pontiac dustbuster van. 'nuff said about performance. But it goes cheaper than an estate volvo and is much roomier.<--

13. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

For the last time, god knows Id rather have a classic car, but for money, what it costs, and the work that must be done, It really doesnt work out while im trying to restore this pickup.

I wouldnt mind tricking out a Honda Civic EX coupe "not the hatchback" but Im not a big honda fan. Although, I could pick up a 98 or newer Honda Civic at an auction in AMAZING condition for less than 2k dollars.

So, do you guys think a tricked out civic, or a celica would be cooler?

14. reuben

reuben Well-Known Member

Celica.

15. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

Thats what Im thinking too, Their cheaper, and I wouldnt need to go to an auction and pray to get lucky.

16. squirl

squirl Well-Known Member

Are you subtly referring to drug seizure auctions? The police do confiscate drug property when they catch drug runners, and that can comprise of heavily modified fast cars... Perhaps these are the auctions to go to.

17. rgreat

rgreat FH Developer

my dream car:

[​IMG]

Can someone get it for me for say...10.000$ ?:)

18. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

NO, as many people know, my family is full of "car nuts" and the richer ends of my family "uncles and grandpas" have dealer licenses' "not drug dealing licenses" and can go to private auctions that offer Re-possessed, abandoned, and cars that didnt sell at a normal dealers.

For example, If I wanted a 2004 Honda Civic EX, I would ask my uncle to look for a honda auction or dealer blowout or ect. Then, he would bring me as a guest to the auction, There, they sell cars that people couldnt afford to keep up with the payments, left sitting on the side of the road for to long, or the dealership that owned them just gives them back for the new years modle.

I could go to the auction and get say, A Mitsubishi Lancer, or a Honda Civic, for 1k-2k dollars that would otherwise be say, 5-10k dollars at a dealership.

No drug cars or suped up monsters here, besides, my grandpa has 3x351windsor police interceptor motors out of Ford Crown Victorias. A 390 out of a Thunderbird, a 427 out of an old Truck, and My favorite, a 454 that he stuck in a 2000 Chevy silverado that he got for 500 dollars at the auctions. You cant even tap the throttle without the tires breaking loose and throwing dirt and gravel, grass or whatever EVERYWHERE....So assuming I couldnt get my Toyota Celica, I could allways buy a cheap Civic thats basicly BRAND NEW and use the saved money to trick it out.

19. sebbo

sebbo Well-Known Member

I would like a Fiat 500.... Look for it at Google :)

20. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

I know what Fiats look like, my dad owned a early and late 70's spyder and then an 80's version....Then he kind of grew up and stopped all the racing and stuff, I still remember getting rides to town in a almost 500hp '69 El'camino.

And dont forget shorty, a 1958 Chevy wagon with the entire middle of the car cut out then welded back together makeing a sedan looking thing.....454big block and a 4 speed.....It was hard just to keep the front wheels on the ground.......those were the days.