Decide what to drive!

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by Allsop, Oct 29, 2004.

?

Which Car should I buy?

Poll closed Feb 5, 2005.
  1. Toyota Celica

5 vote(s)
    33.3%
  2. Chevrolet S-10

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Some Pre 1972 Classic Car

4 vote(s)
    26.7%
  4. Something else "enclose in your post"

6 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. reuben

reuben Well-Known Member

Fargin hell!
    Thaas tha fusst toime AY seen rednexx-talk all noiyse teypeud ouyt, on a tellyscreen almost.

2. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

How about these hot numbers......Their both 2door Dodge Neons "American" with different body kits, lowering springs, and I think the 1 has 17inch wheels.........150hp and a 5speed might do the trick for my needs as of the moment, tell me what you think of these.....

3. airfax

airfax Well-Known Member

Sold here as Chrysler Neon. Interior looks like it was ripped off from 80's japanese car IMO. And if you get one, get it with stick. Those automatics has got a bad rewievs around here. (Enough horsepowers, but still lazy...)

airfax :@drunk:

4. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

CC, In america the Chrysler and Dodge Neons are Identicle except for their plymouth or dodge tags....."who cares, their all part of MOPAR" and yes, I do know that automatic transmissions rob the feel of power as well as the A/C does "which I will remove entirely"

But all and all, I think its a good american alternitive to the celica.....plus it is more spacious "im a big guy" it has more power, and its once again american.....It maybe be my winner, we will see what turns up at the auctions.

5. beryl

beryl Well-Known Member

here comes "my beast"

[​IMG]

Car is almost mine, but i need to buy engine for it... previous owner reduced to 2nd gear when driving 140km/h and engine blew out :D . It's same red but 3-door. Engine it's only 45HP 954ccm but it's moving pretty nice and cheap (4.5l/100km)

6. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

What do you guys think of this offer!?

I was talking with my grandpa and some of his friends "all auto buffs" and since Im not having lucky finding my daily driver, but they know I love to drive, they are offering the chance to start a SPONSORED DRAG CAR! Its a 1964 Buick Skylark that is in pritty nice condition, and has a 400 something cubic inch engine! It needs some work, and obiously were gunna put some more HP to the wheels....But the plan is that if I can come up with 1900$ I get the car, they buy the extra parts, the local parts shot will sponsor me, and then If I do well, a tunning shot will endorse me too!

The rules on the car are that it has to be able to be a daily driver,
    1. It has to be able to run reliably
    2. Street legal "no stripping out the interior to loose weight"
    3. Factory engine but after market parts "I think it has a 401 or bigger!"

So excluding what I have to pay for gas, the parts are covered, and I might be able to drive a sweet ride with less than 450hp "thats the most we will build it to to keep it streetable"...........

Heres a pick of the car, but mine is white...If I choose to buy it that is.

7. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

Correction- The skylark has a 401 in it, but we have the original numbers matching 300ci engine that came factory with the car which would have to be put back in to compete...but who cares! It would be better on gas, and hot small blocks are awesome!

300 V8 (2 bbl) 210 bhp @ 4600 rpm.
    300 V8 (4 bbl) 250 bhp @ 4600 rpm.

Those are the factory readings....headers, exhaust, new carb, cam, and valve work "plus some head work" and my grandpa guesses we can get damn near 400hp out of it.

8. Kutya

Kutya Banned

That'd be cool. (Just realized that when it comes to cars, your spelling is dead on.)

[​IMG]

9. biles

biles Well-Known Member

49deg 11min 35.97sec N, 122deg 51min 57.65min W
    These 62 Dodges are some of the ugliest cars ever made in the USA. They [to me] are so ugly, I love them.
    The slant 6 220 cu in engine, stock, pulled 90 pounds of torque, which ain't too shabby for a little six.
    The 440 cu in was WAY too much for a family car, then again, it WASN'T a family car GRIN.
    440 cu in mpar muscle, 650 holly carb. Dana 60 rear end. Positrac. The wierdest shifter ya EVER saw: Buttons, yes BUTTONS. I think there was an option for a factory hurst two speed, but my memory is worse as I age... sigh.
    When I was a little boy, I used to get a hardon every time one of those things went by. I always wanted one. Then, at 16 years old, I started to lose friends in car wrecks and became a car hater.
    Still, those old mopars were somethin' eh?
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 14, 2004
  10. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

I belive you are refering to a solinoid or paddle shifter...which I only know of paddle shifters existing in some late 60's camaros....In america the /6 "slant 6" has followings because they run forever. And I almost bought a 1968 Plymouth valiant with bucket leather seats and all the goodies with a slant 6...but I dont think I could get used to the "3 on the tree" colum shifter.....

If you wernt being sarcastic about my spelling of cars, I would refer my spelling to the fact that I am a performance enthusianst and that poor gramar in cars can only lead to confusion. For instance, If you were to tell me You had a "Ill use my favorite example" a Barracuda, I would assume you have a large semi powerfull car thats decently cool. But if you told me you had a 'Cuda, I would assume you have a muscle car that is rare and has amazing styling and power...

Plus, how confusing are american car names? LOL, no "Hyundai shaziniza" "ok, I know thats way off" but we have names like, Camaro, Mustang, Wildcat, AMX, I mean......sweet simple and to the point.....

I really hope this Skylark thing works out cause its a cool car.

"And heres the difference between a 'Cuda, and a Barracuda" Heres a 1965 Barracuda, and a 1971 AAR 'Cuda.

11. Kutya

Kutya Banned

Dyslexia often causes spelling errors but if someone into let's say cars, he might use another part of his brain in that context, that would explain the clear spelling. Anyways, is that Skylark an automatic or will you use a transmission with less wastage? Not that it really matters in a near 400 HP car, but hey.

12. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

Im not entirely sure as I only got to see the car from the outside "we just drove buy the shop" but Id assume its either a 3 speed auto, or 4 on the floor. If its an auto, Id just advance the vacume and play with it so it shifts harder and faster and of course a new torque converter....

I do belive my grandpa has a few 4-speeds in his garage, maybe if it is an auto we could bolt it on......but Im not sure if that would void our class of racing "pro-stock".

Now Im really stressing though, because I dont have my daily driver, and I have an offer for sponsership for a drag car if I can find one....I want the Skylark, but If it sells I may have to keep looking for 2 different cars......Maybe just get a beater for now and wait for my income tax return for some easy pocket change and get both my daily driver and a racer.....but that involves 2 months more wait.....

IM GOING TO GO INSAINE! I JUST WANT TO DRIVE!

13. reuben

reuben Well-Known Member

Button selector for automatic gearbox aint very "odd" in 50's and 60's yank cars.
    Earlier in thread I posted link to my pals -60 Matador, it has "push button" for P R D ...
    biles, I think you meant push buttons, otherwise I'm off topic again, but what the heck...
    This is Allsops thread, right? And he's the master of OT so... :)

14. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

I still dont think ive ever seen a car with "push button" to shift, although I have seen kits with solenoids that allow you to press a button on the steering whell that will allow a 1-2 gear shift and a 2-3 gear shift for those to light hearted to take their hand off the wheel. And a paddle shifter allows you to simply knock the shifter forward to go up a gear, and down to go down a gear...

I dont beleive I have even ever heard of a "matador".....but Im sure its out there....

Things like Ferrari have never really rung a bell with me because what you get for the price is just much to extreem to me....Especially when you look at how a stock Lancer Evo can beat a Porsche Boxter in acceleration and handling and ect....But one thing that has always made me dream of driving a ferrari is its paddle shifting and paddle clutch inovations......Would be fun to try....Maybe I could build a go-kart with such technology :) Or a sand rail or something.

Just got back from a friends house, he has a sand rail with a 3 speed VW transmission and adapter plate with a chevy v6 out of a chevy LUV.....we just tested it out around some back roads....but its gunna be fun when we get some snow and ice around here :)