Gloster Meteor

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by kangaa, May 27, 2003.

1. kangaa

kangaa Well-Known Member

The Gloster Meteor was a British jet fighter which entered service in July of 1944 but never engaged the 262 in combat. The first combat victory for a Meteor occurred on August 4, 1944 when Flying Officer T.D. Dean sent a V-1 buzz bomb diving out of control by tipping it with his wing. Some 200 Meteor jets were built by war's end.

Type Meteor I and III
    Power-Plant Two 1700 hp (7.62kN) thrust Rolls-Royce Welland I turbojets
    Max Speed 415 mph (668 km/h) at 10,000 ft (3048m)
    Initial Climb 2,155 ft/min (657m/min)
    Service Ceiling 40,000 ft (12192 m)
    Wingspan 34 ft 5.5 in (10.50m)
    Length 29 ft 0 in (8.40m)
    Empty Weight 8,140 lb (3693 kg)
    Loaded Weight 13,800 lb (6260 kg)
    Armament four 20mm cannon in nose
    Max Range 1,000 miles (1609 km)

So when do we get it?

2. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

with about 1,5k of me262 built its available only for few hours every tod;
    "The first kill accredited to a Me262 was on the 25th July 1944"

how long a british fighter should be present on arena when time of me262 is so shortened?

:dunno:

3. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

Engine: Two 900 kg (1,986 lb) thrust Junkers Jumo 004 B axial flow Turbojets
    Wing Span: 12.5 m (41 ft 1 in)
    Length: 10.58 m (34 ft 8.5 in)
    Height: 3.83 m (12 ft 6.75 in)
    Weight: Empty 4,000 kg (8,820 lb)
    Loaded 7,045 kg (14,938 lb)
    Maximum Speed: A-1a: 870 km/h at 6,000 m (540 mph at 19,685 ft)
    A-2a: 755 km/h (470 mph)
    B-1a: 800 km/h (497 mph)
    Ceiling: 11,450 m (37,664 ft)
    Range: 1,050 km (650 miles)
    Climb Rate: 1,200 m/min (3,937 ft/min)
    Accommodation: 1 Pilot
    Armament: A-1a: Four 30 mm MK108 cannons in nose, two with 100 rounds each, two with 80; could also carry 24 R4M 55 mm unguided rockets on underwing racks.
    A-2a: As A-1a but with two additional 250 kg (551 lb) bombs on racks under nose.
    B-1a: As A-1a
    B-2a: As A-1a plus two inclined MK 108 behind the cockpit.

as u can see Meteor cant match me262; imo its pointless, allies will say their jets are much worse; no matter if it was in rl;

4. babek-

babek- Well-Known Member

If you really think about adding the Meteor which was never used in air combat during WW2 then you can also add further german jets which were used in combat - like the Arado Ar234 and the He162.

5. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

anything you want after su-37 and mig-31fe
    that's why i hate uberflames.

Last edited: May 27, 2003
  6. Malino

Malino Well-Known Member

The simple solution is to go out and buy IL2 Forgotten Battles then you can fly the jets whenever you want (They currently have about 3 jets in the game with more coming next update).

Thus ends the thread.

Malino

7. babek-

babek- Well-Known Member

8. Odisseo

Odisseo Well-Known Member

I would IMO see much more early planes / light bombers, and maybe add some italian/japan planes too and not point allways to the uberplanes of latewar.

Btw exec do you received a reply about the DY4 1/2/3 ?

9. HoHun

HoHun FH Beta Tester

Hi Spuint,

>as u can see Meteor cant match me262; imo its pointless, allies will say their jets are much worse; no matter if it was in rl

Be optimistic :) The Meteor is a jet that CAN TURN - it's not as fast as a Me 262, but it's in the jet class nevertheless. And with its airbrakes, it has no problems slowing down to corner speed to outmanoeuvre the Me 262 anytime! The matchup really is a bit like Spitfire and Focke-Wulf :)

If you want more German jets online (and I do!), you need an Allied jet so that fights that are challenging for both sides become possible. Obviously, the Gloster Meteor is the best candidate for that - of all Allied jet fighters, it came closest to seeing air-to-air combat in WW2.

I'm confident the Meteor will give the Me 262 a run for its money :)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

10. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

Hi HoHun,

i love bnz (only thing i can do to hit and live, i guess ;))
    so 190vsSPIT is ok to me (as a 190s pilot)
    if enemy turns too much i just give up and fly away, with safe speed/alt;
    to show U my point ill write some obvious things:
    flying me262 with turns is not stupid, it is impossible; it is a bnz fighter; 1000km dive is just made for a non-vis hits for climbing cons/hi cons looking down;

but me262 is avail only for few hours for every tod because of a game balance; adding meteor will not change a thing and will only make all the pilots missing a me262killer irritated (i doubt it will be intrudoced earlier on MA);

there were an ideas to pull the 262 completly out, so it wouldnt be avail even for that couple of hours, or to make it avail as it was in ww2nd; im not sure which idea is better to be honest, because i often miss the day with 262 anyway... and a 262 in july 44s will mess a game balance;

more planes? always!
    i havent seen a dfing pilot in 262, that means a meteor will be good only for fockewulfs and buffs and wont match a _reasonable_ pilot of 262 and it will not change a thing in a game balance, as it wont make 262 avail earlier;

of course if im wrong then ill be happy to fly 262 a little more..
    with a british jets as a balls of fire below me ;)

Last edited: May 27, 2003
  11. RolandGarros

RolandGarros Well-Known Member

Meteor is out performed by most (all?) late war prop fighters and most mid war fighters. Might be an OK ground attack plane (it did see combat with the enemy in this manner) and kick ass in the HO, but probably no enough bang to be worth the pain in the @ss. If you really want to bring in a major allied monster ask for P-61. four 20mm, four 12.7mm (in top turret or fixed foward firing), four bombs (up to 3000 kg worth) and ten HVARS (possibly bombload is max ~ 2500 kg with rockets); not as fast as Meteor, but turns better than P-51 and very rugged).

12. HoHun

HoHun FH Beta Tester

Hi RolandGarros,

>Meteor is out performed by most (all?) late war prop fighters and most mid war fighters.

The Meteor III does 737 km/h at sea level and 793 km/h at 9.1 km. No late-war prop fighter beats that - only the Me 262 does :)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

13. Odisseo

Hohun, allieds have already what match Me262 ans 190D9 :)

14. Odisseo

IMO we should work hard on:

Italian/british early planes
    Japan carried planes
    German light and heavy bombers

15. RolandGarros

RolandGarros Well-Known Member

HoHun:
    Heaven forbid I confirm a stat before risking my credibility on it. Yours for the Meteor are > 80 km/h faster than those in the lead post. Do you have a mirror link for Emmanuel Gustin's Military Aircraft Database (MAD)? I get 403 'access denied' error when I go to http://www.csd.uwo.ca/~pettypi/elevon/gustin_military/db/index.html
    these days....google....http://users.skynet.be/Emmanuel.Gustin/
    The 415 mph figure is slower than Spit 14, Tempest, Mustang, Thunderbolt, Corsair, Dora, Karl (not positive about this one, but confident of it), Ta-152 and the hated/feared La-7; but of prop fighters only Ta-152 even approaches your numbers. Me163 was fast than Meteor too, no?

16. HoHun

HoHun FH Beta Tester

Hi Roland Garros,

>Heaven forbid I confirm a stat before risking my credibility on it. Yours for the Meteor are > 80 km/h faster than those in the lead post.

Have a look at

http://www.vflintham.demon.co.uk/aircraft/meteor/meteor.htm

It shows the difference between the Mk I and the Mk III:

Mk I: 1700 lbs thrust, 420 mph top speed
    Mk III: 3500 lbs thrust, 520 mph top speed

The figures you're referring to are labelled "Meteor I and III" but probably are meant for the low-powered Mk I alone, with the double designation perhaps justified by the first 15 Mk III aircraft receiving the same engines as the Mk I.

The majority of the Mk III aircraft was much more powerful though.

But even the Mk I shouldn't be underestimated: Due to the different altitude characteristics, the Meteor Mk I would be faster than all propeller fighters below 3 km and hold a large speed advantage over them at sea level.

This is more useful on Freehost than in the real world, so the Mk I should do well :)

>Do you have a mirror link for Emmanuel Gustin's Military Aircraft Database (MAD)?

Looks like the university has cleaned the site out :-(

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

17. -cbfs-

-cbfs- Well-Known Member

Where the flowers bloom like madness in the spri-i
    >Italian/British early planes
    >Japan carrier planes
    >German light and heavy bombers

Definitely not Meteor, it's like mocking gold side... We only have the 262 for 8 hours and I've missed it four-five times in a row because the hours it's available are absurd!

Do you guys really think that a plane that you suggested as 'good for ground attack' will ONLY be used for that role? No way! If it's a jet, it will be used as a fighter, even if it had 2x7mm guns, not 4x20mm (in Meteor's case)

<S>

18. HoHun

HoHun FH Beta Tester

Hi CBFS,

>Definitely not Meteor, it's like mocking gold side... We only have the 262 for 8 hours and I've missed it four-five times in a row because the hours it's available are absurd!

I agree on the availability. However, don't forget that it's only available for such a short time because there is no Allied counterpart - if the Allies had an aircraft capable of taking on the Me 262, this might be different! :)

So ironically, the Meteor might give the Me 262 a more important role in the game :)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

19. ozemale6t9

ozemale6t9 Well-Known Member

Many ppl have already pointed out that this is not as fast as other planes reds already have in late war, so I don't see how it could be mocking golds by having it.

Also it was not designed specifically for ground-attack, so even if it is 'good for ground attack', I don't see why it can't be used for A2A combat.

Regards, Oz

20. big-jo

big-jo Well-Known Member

this plane was in 1945??? i read was in 1950... no?