Gloster Meteor

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by kangaa, May 27, 2003.

1. HoHun

HoHun FH Beta Tester

Hi Malino,

>>Talk to Golds a little, and fly for Gold a little, and you'll see it's pretty obvious

>I'm raising this quote again because it's really pissed me off.

LOL! Sorry, the type of answer was determined by the type of question :)

But if you think back, I'm sure you must have noticed the nervous anticipation of Gold players when jet day comes nearer, the hectic rush to the cockpits when the jet is out, the deeply disappointed comments on Gold channel of those who missed jet day - just to name the most evident symptoms of jet fever!

(Note: This is the "fly for Golds a little" bit.)

The Meteor will give the Me 262 more than just 8 hours of life in the arena, and so the Golds will benefit because they finally get their jet for a worthwhile period. You can see in this thread that the idea is catching on, and when I discussed it with German Warbirds players at OberschleiЯheim two weeks ago, I found they agreed with the idea after a bit of explaining.

(Note: This is the "talk to Golds a little" bit.)

Not that the Meteor will only suit the Golds - I'm confident that even Reds will like to have the Meteor available, too! As I pointed out, it will be able to outrun all propeller fighters at low altitude, so it's not like it was a dog performance-wise. I'm confident it will be a better match for the Me 262 than most people seem to be expecting!

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

2. RolandGarros

RolandGarros Well-Known Member

I'm on the fence.
    There are good arguments for and against both sides.
    I can think of planes I'd like to see before the Meteor.

3. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

Yes they can reach those speeds, I was simply highlighting my point as you know :)

As to my other point, I would really like to see that addressed before I would decide whether this would be good for the game. Dont you think there is a chance, and a good one at that, of the jets being the only rides in the sky from when they become available? Golds take the 262 in abundance when it appears. If the reds have one to counter it, it is only natural that they will opt for it also.

I can see it causing problems, but I guess we will never know unless it gets tried.

-glas-

4. HoHun

HoHun FH Beta Tester

Hi Glas,

>Dont you think there is a chance, and a good one at that, of the jets being the only rides in the sky from when they become available? Golds take the 262 in abundance when it appears.

I think they will be more frequent than in real life for sure! But some of the rush to jets we see today can be attributed to the exceptionally short period of availability - noone wants to waste any time flying a propeller fighter he can have for weeks on end when the rare Me 262 is available for a change.

>I can see it causing problems, but I guess we will never know unless it gets tried.

Good attitude! :) I think if we observe problems with the Meteor, there will be solutions, too - for example, the streak requirement for jets pointed out by CBFS. That's a good idea to avoid flooding the arena with jets, and I think we should look for solutions like that instead of looking for problems all the time :)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

5. ledada

ledada Well-Known Member

"24 hours of freehost"

maybe i have mentioned before in the past 170 years in fh-arena, that i am fascinated by "il-2"... i never did it online and i can't imagine it to be a substitute for a 'real' multiplayer - but the grafics are sooo great, and all the knobs and lists and manuals and:
    finally i can do some planes in full realism against drones, only me262 starts a turbine-fire after some minutes (don't throttle down too much, don't do it too hot, don't turn tight... i don't know :shuffle: ) fat bombers i can get, but against fighters - 'afterburner' :)

for the actual discussion:
    i wouldn't mind, if 262 will leave the rps... for jets i wait for "lock-on", for playing the game with many changing opponents i don't need that tweetie.

but for the desperate ones:
    give the 262 to both sides, for 8 hours of equal duels at the end of tod - like a celebration of the war-ending: the "24 hours of freehost" :@popcorn: . let's call it "the vulch", like a neutrum... with either red or gold stripes marked. it's anyway out of realism, so i would be curious, who will fly then (and how :joystick: )

6. Kutya

Kutya Banned

That would be an enormous FH-orgasm for all of us.

7. HoHun

HoHun FH Beta Tester

Re: "24 hours of freehost"

Hi Ledada,

>give the 262 to both sides, for 8 hours of equal duels at the end of tod - like a celebration of the war-ending: the "24 hours of freehost" :@popcorn: . let's call it "the vulch", like a neutrum... with either red or gold stripes marked. it's anyway out of realism, so i would be curious, who will fly then (and how :joystick: )

Good idea, this could be considered a test for the Meteor! :)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

8. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

ROLLING RESTRICTION
    Then we can introduce ANY plane that ever saw combat during WW2.

Even now 90% of pilots fly in latest planes. It takes out fun of having historical matchups. I wouldn't like seeing jets only after late 1944. Though I don't like all la-7, 190d-9, 109k-4 arena either. I'd hope to see more variation someday.

9. kangaa

kangaa Well-Known Member

Ok IMHO it is black and white both jets were available in the late war...So if one side has a jet than the other side MUST also have a jet .... Or both removed ... This is the reason i started this thread...I'm not a WWII buff so i didn't know the meteor existed untill Ozmale sent me the link he posted... Like most i just thought we had to see the 262 come out of the sky shoot the shit out of me and fly off into the sunset...But its not like that we ALSO have a jet....

I fully agree that the jets would bring a whole new aspect to this game... And this may not be a bad thing... And i must admit a part of me would like to fly jet on jet...

Ok back to my coment at the head of this post ..... IMHO we should drop the 262 (see above ) and fix the bugs and the planes we have... lets face it by the time the 262 comes into this game its all over all it dose is piss off alot of reds who built up streaks to have them taken by a plane that has no compition....
    So get rid of it add a new 190 or 109 and fix the bugs and the planes we have now....

:cheers:

10. Mach-1

Mach-1 Well-Known Member

Ok guys.... one little correction in my opnion

I Agree add Meteor
    I agree with extend time of fly in Me-262
    I not agree removed Me-262 in any hipotse...
    I agree with add early/late planes

- Bf-109e3
    - He-111
    - Do-17/217
    - Arado 234
    - A-20 Boston / Havoc
    - A-26A apache ( p51a )
    - A-26 Invader
    - B-26 Marauder
    - D520
    - Ms406
    - Ms410
    - ki-44/45/46
    - B6N
    - TBM-3

Need more :) ?

Salute guys

11. ozemale6t9

ozemale6t9 Well-Known Member

HEY!!!!!!!! What about me?????!!!!!!!

:)

Regards, Oz

12. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

I wont ask for much. Some earlier planes for the Golds to balance the choice, and a fast bomber (He-111?).

Those would be my choices, but either way im grateful for what we have :)

-glas-

13. RolandGarros

More planes of different nationalities might draw in a lot of new pilots and add to the early war axis planeset as well

14. Odisseo

Odisseo Well-Known Member

Hohun, i didn't sayd we don't ned the meteor, this plane was a beautifull craft and it would be imo fun can fly it but:

1) since admins have theyr private life too they can't work only on our wishes, there are problems wich have to be solved and imo early mid fighters, carried japan planes and some bombers to golds have the priority.

2) as illo sayd, if we introduce the meteor and the 262 would be moved to the IRL date we will see ONLY jets in arena, as it is for yak3 La7 or 109K, as soon they are awail everybody take them and that's not realistic at all.

3) those planes will ruin the game, we know all that on forum peaple speack well but in arena 90% of FH users care only on kill-kill-kill, few peaple like long trip with big formations. Usually you see on radar all users fighting at the nearest enemy field wich is maybe a small field but it never get closed.
    Adding jets it will say no more bomber/jabos at all and the few guys who care on fling jabo/bombers will have no way to survive.

Our RPS is like the real one, but if we take number of planes used in area as a %, sorry but in IRL it never appened that 50% of allieds flew a LA7 or that 90% of axis flew on 190D9.
    To me every good plane like 190D9, 109K4, 262, Yak3, La7, P39Q,Tempest need a streack point to make them awail.
    190D9 streack of 10, 262 streack of 20 ect.
    So it will be really as it was in IRL, only aces and experienced pilots had the honor to fly on those planes.

15. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

Yup I though about french and bulgarian Dewoitine 520, finnish b-239, dutch b-339, aussie boomerang, maybe even latvian gladiator.

D-520 would actually start RPS in allied arsenal soon swithing to axis. :D

Both sides would have their variant of Brewster 239/339/439.
    Axis, light maneuverable proto F2A-1.
    Allied, F2A-2, F2A-3.

There could be even curtiss hawk and gloster gladiator/bulldog for both sides.

Last edited: Jun 1, 2003
  16. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

Can't speak for others, but to me it's always going to be the P-51, even if the FH crew decided to add an F-22 to the inventory. ;)

17. manoce

manoce Well-Known Member

omfg - 6 page discussion about Meteor? u guys are insane - why the fuck bother to create such thing?

your points about more realism are interesting though.
    I totally agree with this order of priorities:

1. fix the current planes -- like it was done with 109 family - it is just great now! (excet of antiG modul in F2); all american and japanese planes are moreorless different from RL

2. add planes which are different from what we have so far here - to improve game experience - there were many interesting wide used planes of early/mid war - like illo suggested - D520, buffalo, hawk75 were used more than many present FH planes and they differ from anything we have here
    (but i see that gold whiners would suffer terribly, because imho planes like H75A or D520 were just uber - axis defeated them only because of much better pilots)
    3. create more versions - like it was done with F4U1A, spit2, 109F2 - most easy and really effective way to improve game experience
    ----------------------------------------

that!s about FH planes; other changes needed as well - gun characteristic should be improved, overall behaving of planes as well -- but this is probably a bit harder and it is not connected to FH possibilities (it is question of server i guess)

18. HoHun

HoHun FH Beta Tester

Hi Manoce,

>u guys are insane - why the fuck bother to create such thing?

Because it's COOL and it goes FAST.

>1. fix the current planes
    >2. add planes which are different from what we have so far here
    >3. create more versions

Not connected to the Meteor question, so it should be discussed in a separate thread. The developers set their own priorities anyway.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

19. RolandGarros

Well, Gladiator is not Latvian and Brewster is not Finn or Dutch, but I'm sure the inhabitants of those nations might like to fly and to fight in them. I was thinking more along the lines of IARs, Rozarskis, Avias, Koolhovens, SAABs, Swiss Federal Aircraft Factory (what to do with planes of neutral countries?), Renards, PLZs, Hцvers and Finn, French and Aussie varieties

20. sebbo

sebbo Well-Known Member

Nah, us Dutch couldn't care less about the Brewster. It was only used in the pacific theatre and most were busted on the ground. You know what planes I'd like to see?

The Fokker D-XXI and/or the Fokker G-IV!!!!!!! These saw action in May 1940 and (the D-XXI) in Finland till 1942.